Talk

Advanced search

When to expect negative pregnancy test after MC

(5 Posts)
MrsArmitageQOTR Thu 09-May-13 19:34:27

Hi. Natural miscarriage at 6 wks last week. Saw GP, chose not to go to EPU. GP said to take HPT in a week (tomorrow) and if still positive she wanted to see me tomorrow, i think to refer me to EPU.

Being a bit more knowledgeable now than I was a week ago, isnt it too early to expect a negative?

I only stopped bleeding at the weekend.
Just took a test that shows the time since conception as1-2 wks so clearly pregnancy hormones have dropped (no miraculous it-was-all a nightmare result).

Feel like i need to focus my energy of my crumbling sanity and family!

Bakingtins Thu 09-May-13 19:38:07

Hi salexa I'm sorry you've lost your baby. Nightmare is exactly right.

I've had 3 miscarriages at 8-10 weeks and it's taken about 3 weeks each time to get a negative HPT, about a week after bleeding stopped. I think it probably takes longer the higher the hormones were in the first place. IME when I didn't have a negative after a fortnight the GP just took blood for HCG test to check levels were not very high (which might indicate retained material or molar pregnancy) but if your digi one is spooling backwards it sounds like your levels are dropping and it will just take a little longer to get a negative.

MrsArmitageQOTR Thu 09-May-13 20:02:28

Helpful thanks. A blood test I can live with.

clattypatty Thu 09-May-13 20:06:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChocolateCremeEggBag Fri 10-May-13 06:56:13

Hi - had a natural mc at 8 weeks, took 3 weeks to get a negative Hpt for me too

But I did go back for a scan a week after the mc. They were able to confirm that I had passed everything. Having "stuff" left inside is the risk here and so i would go and have a scan if I were you just to get peace of mind that you won't need anything else later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now