Advanced search

13 weeks MMC, what now?

(38 Posts)
redwallday Fri 19-Apr-13 20:00:01

I've been for my 12 week scan today at 13 weeks to be told the baby is only measuring 6 weeks and as I know my dates are right the baby has died. But the hospital are saying that due to it being under a certain size they want me to wait a week before I go back for another scan to see if the baby has grown. We only DTD once and haven't had sex since. I know my dates are right and I know my baby is dead. I just want a D&C now but they are making me wait another week. I really don't want to miscarry naturally. I want this over with now. sad(

juneau Fri 26-Apr-13 12:05:51

I'm so glad you got the treatment you wanted OP. It makes a horrible thing that much more bearable, I think, if you feel you at least have that tiny bit of control over how it's managed.

redwallday Thu 25-Apr-13 22:50:41

Thank you all for your support. It's helped immensely over this last week to hand you guys to talk too. I'm glad I went for the D&C option. No pain at all really and only very light bleeding. Very quick and I remember nothing.

Yonilovesboni Thu 25-Apr-13 22:01:37

Thinking of you, xx

Quodlibet Thu 25-Apr-13 14:58:43

Look after yourself OP. Make sure you allow yourself time to process what has happened to you. Grief can be exhausting and take a lot out of you.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 25-Apr-13 11:45:20

Sending you a very unmumsnetty virtual hug. x

Hope you can go home soon. Be very kind to yourself in the next few days.

redwallday Thu 25-Apr-13 11:05:16

Insurance came through for us. Currently sat in hospital. Had the op at 8:15am. Glad it's over but feel 'empty' sad

redwallday Tue 23-Apr-13 09:16:47

The hospital have rang, they are point blank refusing to do the scan on Thursday so the scan will be Friday and then she said they might not be able to get me in for the D&C on Monday now. Apparently the consultant says he must follow the NICE guidelines of leaving me for between a week to 14 days. I'm sure that must be so comforting for him seeing as he's a fucking man and will never ever have to go through this. Perhaps he would think differently if it was his wife going through this instead. I am so gutted.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Apr-13 17:01:45

Mine is AXA

hotcrosbum Mon 22-Apr-13 16:14:45


I had my scans with Dr Gibb from the portland. Unfortunately, his secretary said it would cost 4 -5k fir him to do the procedure there. I had to downgrade my insurance to Axa (via telco) when first dh left me. I am unsure what it will cover.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Apr-13 16:12:24

Hotcrosbum - BUPA /Spire hospitals .

Mine was done by the same gynaecologist who'd done my nuchal (and told me about the MMC)

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Apr-13 16:10:10

Sorry you are being messed around so much. Last thing you need right now.

Can I suggest phoning the secretary/PA if whoever you have in mind to do the ERPC. They'll phone the GP and make it happen for you (worked for me).

hotcrosbum Mon 22-Apr-13 16:01:31

I am so sorry Op. I know how frustrating it is.

I am going though a MMC at the moment too. I had a scan 4 weeks ago, I should have been 8 weeks, I measured 7 and the baby had a very low heartbeat. I know when I conceived, so that coupled with the heart beat, I knew something was wrong. Went back two weeks later (on April 12th) and the baby had died shortly after that first scan.

I had the scans done at a private clinic, so wasn't under the care of a hospital. I was hoping something would happen naturally as I am terrified of a GA, but ten days later and not a sign.

I am going to my GP tomorrow to get referred to hospital.

I hope you get the results you want and fast. This has been the hardest ten days of my life, I want it over with now as well, I am going crazy waiting.

redwallday Mon 22-Apr-13 15:53:37

I'm being pushed from pillar to post, people saying they will call me back and then not bothering. I want a D&C straight away. But the hospital are messing me around so I've gone to the private health insurance but they need a doctors letter and the doctors are being useless saying they've never done this sort of referral so they want to speak to the consultant to find out what they need to do. All I need is a letter FFS!! I am ready to scream!

hotcrosbum Mon 22-Apr-13 14:31:34

Can I ask where you can get it done privately?

jamtoast12 Mon 22-Apr-13 12:48:35

Sorry for your news. i had a mmc at the 12 week scan (at 7.2wk) and had a d&c which was fine and over quickly. They did mine straight away but that's because I'd had an earlier scan (for bleeding) so had seen the heart beat earlier on.

Is the delay becuause the pregnancy is so young - At 6 weeks there isn't always a heart beat yet so "in their minds" they may think it could continue?

Obviously you know you are sure of your dates but without them knowing that it has ended for sure, then that's why they want to delay and scan again later. without confirmation, it could be seen as an abortion so i do see their dilema.

Of course they could do a blood test 48 hrs apart which would confirm mc from levels not increasing etc. I'd ask for a blood test. Good luck

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Apr-13 12:24:04

phone the GP and ask the receptionist to fax something through today. You shouldn't need to make an appointment,.

Good luck x

Yonilovesboni Mon 22-Apr-13 10:37:56

Ring docs, tell receptionist you need emergency appointment TODAY! Ask gp to fax or email insurance company. That should do it op. hope your ok, thinking of you x

redwallday Mon 22-Apr-13 10:22:53

The private insurance say I need a referral letter from the doctor but I should be covered. I'm not sure how to go about it really. Do I get an appointment (they are like hens teeth)? Do I just call them? I'm still waiting for the hospital to decide wether I can be scanned on Thursday and then have the D&C on Friday.

whiteandyellowiris Sun 21-Apr-13 22:20:59

so very sorry to hear this, i would call the hospital first thing tomoorow am and beg them to see you
and insist you knw what you want a dand c

best of luck op

MrsJohnDeere Sun 21-Apr-13 22:16:35

That's about the only thing (stupid predictive text)

MrsJohnDeere Sun 21-Apr-13 22:15:47

If the insurance company give the go ahead then you don't have to wait at all. It involved general anaesthetic and you have to be nil by mouth for 6 hours (I think) beforehand, but that's the boy thing that would delay it.

If the consultant doing it has a day job in an NHS hospital then you might be restricted to an evening slot for the op.

Try not to worry about the molar thing. That's what I have/had but the chances are minimal. 1 in 5000 pregnancies iirc. 1 person a year gets a partial mole that needs chemo and this year it is me so it almost certainly won't happen to you!

Yes, if someone miscarried naturally or had an ERPC at some NHS hospitals then the 'products of conception' (horrible, horrible phrase) would not be tested and any thing molar would only be discovered much later if there was a problem (abnormal bleeding, morning sickness that continues when not pg, bloating so you look pg when not, raised hCG). Easier said than done, but try not to worry about anything like this for the moment.

redwallday Sun 21-Apr-13 21:58:05

Thanks everyone. We have tried to call the private insurance today but they aren't available until tomorrow. I will be calling both then and the hospital first thing. If private need the approval of a GP does that mean that they too could refuse to do the D&C for another week?

Also if I do start to naturally miscarry can I then request a D&C straight away??

I've been reading on here and through the literature I was given and I'm now worried sick about this molar thing?? I've never heard of it before and don't really understand it. Why is it linked to cancer? I wanted to start trying again straight away but now worried I should wait until any results come back. But what I don't understand is if someone had had a natural miscarriage there would be nothing to test so how would they know if they had a part/full molar? Would it result in a second mc if they got pregnant straight away again? Sorry so many questions but my mind is racing sad

MrsJohnDeere Sun 21-Apr-13 16:30:06

Sorry many typos, on phone blush

MrsJohnDeere Sun 21-Apr-13 16:29:29

Sorry you are going through this.

I had my ERPC done privately back in Oct. I just had to pay the £150 excess iirc (actual op cost around £3000, judging from the copies of the bills that I saw). The key thing is that when you phone your insurer to ask about it that you don't mine ton the word 'pregnancy', which I know seems ludicrous. The gynaecologist who did mine told me exactly how to word it to them, and it was something along the lines of 'I have had a MMC and need an ERPC', nothing else, no explanations, no waffle.

My insurance company didn't quibble at all, and were really lovely and sensitive on the phone too. shock I also had to get the GP's approval (but that's just them saying yes on the phone , you don't actually have to go and see them) and you need to know your blood type.

I had mine done straight away (MMC spotted one evening, ETOC done the next evening). The good thing aoutnhavingit done privately is that you get a full histology report on what caused the miscarriage and at least one follow-up appointment too (I've ended up having umpteen appointments, all covered by insurance, because it all got very complicated).

squizita Sun 21-Apr-13 15:58:40

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm in a similar situation. I think the waiting policy is because even with modern scans, things can go un-noticed - I've heard in the US some states who ERPC straight away have a pretty unacceptable error rate. But 2 weeks seems very long and the consultant aught to use their common sense. Remember you can request another NHS hospital or if it comes to it, go private. I am lucky in a way my consultant confirmed in 1 week and booked me in shortly after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now