Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding during miscarriage

(7 Posts)
MeerkatMerkin Mon 08-Apr-13 18:40:34

Wasn't sure where to put this - in here or in the breastfeeding section. Sorry if it upsets anyone.

Has anyone breastfed through a miscarriage? I am wondering if breastfeeding 2yo DS will be painful in terms of causing the uterus to contract and expel what remains. This is probably effective in the long run though, right?

Also, I am booked in for a ERPC tomorrow morning. Will it be safe to breastfeed him in the evening? It will have been quite a few hours since the GA. I hadn't even thought to ask the doctor any of this. My head is swimming with questions.

EldonAve Mon 08-Apr-13 22:17:56

Sorry for your loss
It's best to tell the anaesthetist during your pre op chat and ask them then

Wildwaterfalls Tue 09-Apr-13 10:11:30

So sorry for your loss. I'm afraid I have no experience with bfing during an mc but just wanted to say I hope you are ok, and that the doctor was able to answer the questions this morning.

PicardyThird Tue 09-Apr-13 10:16:39

I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

I've bf through two miscarriages. I had an ERPC for both but I don't remember the bf causing any afterpains. I should think the amount a 2yo is a) feeding and b) getting would have fairly minimal effects in terms of uterine contractions. (Have also bf throughout pregnancy and placenta praevia, and was warned in dire terms about contractions but it was fine).

IIRC I did bf my ds in the afternoon/evening after the ERPCs (he was 14 and 16 months when I had the mcs so a bit younger than yours). It is only a light anaesthetic and by the time it's out of your system I don't think there'd be much to pass through to the milk.

MeerkatMerkin Tue 09-Apr-13 10:40:57

Thank you for your comments. It is reassuring to know that others have been through the same. I bfed DS last night with no ill effects. Haven't even seen the anaesthetist yet, there was confusion about where I was been scanned this morning before ERPC so I've been waiting around for hours, hungry and fed up.

DIYandEatCake Tue 09-Apr-13 20:12:35

Hi meerkat, hope it all went OK today. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this too. I breastfed through a miscarriage, opted for the 'wait and see' route partly because I was told I'd have to stop bf for a day or two with an ERPC (only as I had an elcs for breech with dd so would need drugs to soften cervix, they said they were incompatible with bf, turns out they might not have been anyway...). The doctors honestly were completely befuddled by my bf questions.

I was so thankful I was still bf dd, I found it more of a comfort than anything else in the days afterwards, just looking at her innocent little face and snuggling up with her made me so much appreciate what I already have.

MeerkatMerkin Tue 09-Apr-13 20:45:34

Hi DIY, thanks for replying - I fed DS to sleep in my hospital bed today waiting to go in for the ERPC. I find it comforting too. It took quite a while to conceive the (lost) pregnancy as breastfeeding seemed to be making my cycle erratic and we cut down a lot but I'm so glad we didn't stop feeding completely - especially now.

I would have gone for the natural method but I have to fly out to my cousin's funeral tomorrow and didn't want to be bleeding on the plane/during the funeral. Glad it's all mostly over (the physical side of things anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now