Talk

Advanced search

Missed miscarriage discovered at 12 week scan, ERPC needed, what to expect?

(24 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Thu 18-Oct-12 21:58:11

Still a bit numb and shocked, so apologies if this makes no sense.

Went for a nuchal scan this evening and found out that I'd miscarried at 6 weeks. No spotting or bleeding. Look and feel very pregnant. The gynaecologist who did the scan said that the sac was large and the were no signs of tags passing on their own anytime soon, so he recommended an ERPC.

I know nothing about this, and only took in half of what he said, but am desperate to get it done ASAP. He even suggested that it might be possible to do it tomorrow evening (private hospital).

MrsJohnDeere Thu 18-Oct-12 21:58:44

Things not tagsblush

JasperStreet Thu 18-Oct-12 22:04:15

So sorry to hear this. I had one - it's general anaesthetic, I stayed in the hospital the night before because I started bleeding before the procedure but I think it's normally an outpatient thing. I was achey afterwards but nothing I couldn't handle. I had to go back for blood tests a few days after. Be kind to yourself. It's not easy when you've just found out and you need to allow yourself time to feel sad.

MintChocAddict Thu 18-Oct-12 22:07:13

So sorry for your loss MrsJD. Sending an unmumsnetty hug.

I had ERPC three years ago and personally found it very quick and painless. Once I knew it wasn't to be, I just wanted it over with so was definitely the right decision for me at the time.

I went in to clinic in the morning and was given a pessary then taken to anasthetic room for GA. Think I was only under for about 15 mins or so. Woke up in recovery and went home a few hours later.

Had some cramping/period type pains for a couple of days but very manageable and was physically back to normal fairly quickly.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 18-Oct-12 22:26:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

butterfly86 Thu 18-Oct-12 23:00:10

So sorry Mrsjohndeere Ive had this happen twice this year and totally understand the feelings of utter shock and being numb, you think how could this have happened when i still feel pregnant its just awful. I've had an erpc both times and was definately the right thing for me its quick and relatively painless just period type cramps it also prevents most of the heavy bleeding. I would also recommend having it done asap the first time I had to wait a week and it was very hard i think once its confirmed you just need it over with.
Thinking of you x

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Oct-12 23:06:36

Same here. Scan at 13 weeks showed growth stopped about 6 weeks in and no heartbeat. Admitted that day. ERPC quick. Felt rubbish afterwards but mainly sadness at losing first pg and hormones. Physically ok. A huge hug. (Sorry!)
I also just wanted it over with.

MrsJohnDeere Fri 19-Oct-12 08:44:19

Thank you all. Didn't get much sleep last night. I was surprised at how upset I feel. This pregnancy was a huge accident, and I hadn't really come round to the idea, or so I thought.

Just want to get it over with now. Can't bear to look at this baby bump in the mirror. Thankfully dh's health care covers it so I'm hoping I can have it done later today. I'm terrified of it kicking off naturally.

Waiting for the doctor to call me back - feels like an eternity.

Chigley1 Fri 19-Oct-12 08:56:19

So sorry you are going through this sad I had exactly the same situation, once discovered I wanted it all over but ended up having to wait 3 days for ERPC hmm In the event it wasn't too bad, in hospital a few hours then no significant physical after effects.

woollywomble Fri 19-Oct-12 09:31:44

Hi MrsJD, just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear your news. I was on the April ante-natal thread too until I mc three weeks ago. I was almost 11 weeks but scan showed that growth had stopped around two weeks earlier. I didn't have to have an ERPC as I started to mc naturally before the appointment.

This was also an unplanned DC3 for us, and at ages 41 (me) and 52 (DH) we were initially very shocked but then felt blessed to be pregnant again. After starting to adjust to a different future to the one we had imagined, I couldn't believe how upset I was when I found out that it wasn't meant to be. It doesn't make the loss any easier because the baby wasn't planned, so please be gentle with yourself.

DistressedMumHELP Fri 19-Oct-12 09:38:34

I have suffered two missed miscarriages, like you no bleeding, still felt pregnant etc in fact with the 1st my baby had already died before I found out I was pregnant. The erpc for me left me feeling empty but although slightly achey after I was completely fine. I am so sorry for your loss. Go easy on yourself.

juneau Fri 19-Oct-12 09:48:05

Sorry you're experiencing this - it's crap isn't it. I had one in May 2010 - exact same situation as you - and opted for the ERPC rather than waiting or managed miscarriage and I'm so glad I did. It just makes it all go away and you don't have to deal with blood or anything like that. Some people feel the need to experience it in order to move on, but for me I just wanted it over, dealt with, so I could put it behind me.

Physically, the ERPC was great. You don't feel or see a thing because it's under GA and I just had some light bleeding for a few days afterwards. Period returned 28 days later and all was well. Take something to read when you go to the hospital - I had to wait all day - but that was NHS so you might not have to wait with private.

MrsJohnDeere Fri 19-Oct-12 11:23:11

Got my ERPC late this evening. Two hour wait beforehand. They said that I should be able to go home pretty much straight afterwards unless I react badly to the anaesthetic or there's a complication.

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 19-Oct-12 11:25:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lotsofcheese Fri 19-Oct-12 14:34:46

I'm sorry for your loss. Miscarriages are just awful, but a mmc is so cruel as you have no idea anything is wrong, so are unprepared for it.

I've had 2 ERCP's. Another thing I'd add would be to take wipes, as the iodine solution they use around your nether regions can be difficult to clean off. Also old knickers, slippers & dressing gown as the flimsy hospital gowns can be cold & revealing. And some good reading material or iPod to pass the time while the vaginal pessaries work (2-3 hours). Maybe some maternity towels too, although I've never bled much afterwards.

And don't expect too much of yourself for the next few days - I was always sleepy for a day or 2 & a bit uncomfortable if I tried to do too much round the house, or looking after DS.

In some ways I was glad to have the surgery over with, as I could start to move on.

Will be thinking of you tonight & hoping it goes ok for you.

lotsofcheese Sat 20-Oct-12 15:14:47

How are you feeling today, OP?

MrsJohnDeere Sat 20-Oct-12 16:02:30

Had the ERPC late last night and then had to stay in hospital overnight.

Feel like I've been hit by a bus. I had a lot of cramping pain first thing but nothing since, and not much blood loss at all so far (like light period). Very zonked and out of body though - guess that's the anaesthetic?

The consultant who did the op said no sex for 6 weeks (until follow up check up) as my body would be very fertile, and there's a high chance I would get pg and almost certainly miscarry again. It's the last thing I feel like at the moment, so that's not a huge problem!

I know I'm not allowed to drive for 48 hours. Do you think I'll feel ok doing it by Monday? Trying to work out if I need to cancel things for the start of next week (nothing crucial just parents evening and a couple of other school things). Thankfully my Dcs get a bus to school so I don't need to drive.

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice amd support. It really has helped a huge amount. thanks

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 20-Oct-12 16:10:24

I did drive a few days afterwards but I wouldn't say I drove with a clear head. It's different between people but I found my brain was woozy for about 5 - 6 days and i was exceptionally tired for a couple of weeks.

juneau Sat 20-Oct-12 16:50:59

GA affects different people different ways - some people feel very out of it. I just slept like the dead for a couple of nights afterwards, but otherwise felt fine.

Just take it easy.

prettybird Sat 20-Oct-12 16:57:36

I've had two MMCs sad. One of the best bits of advice I was given by a friends after the first one was to cut myself some slack - just because I'd miscarried and had the ERPC, didn't mean that that my hormones weren't all over the place.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 20-Oct-12 17:58:18

Yes, the anaesthetist said that the GA would take 2 days to work its way out of my system and that when it wore off I'd feel really hormonal and tearful.

Just told a good friend (who had no idea I was pg) and burst into tears on the phone blush

lotsofcheese Sat 20-Oct-12 18:40:40

I agree with your anaesthetist friend. I felt very tired & had afternoon naps for a couple of days. As well as being physically uncomfortable too.

Personally, I would not go back to work on Monday. Aside from the hormones coming crashing down, you will be all over the place emotionally. Physically, it's a good 4-5 days after surgery before you'll feel like doing your usual activities.

Just go very easy on yourself & allow time for healing, both physical & emotional.

JasperStreet Sun 21-Oct-12 05:05:59

I'd forgotten about the hormones. Yes, it does take a while to get back on an even keel. I had one period (which set off the tears again!) before a successful pregnancy with DS. Not sure if that helps - possibly not...

Hooya Sun 21-Oct-12 07:01:56

So sorry you are going through this.

I wanted to try to reassure you as I was in your position just over 2 weeks ago, and I'm shocked at how much better I feel now about everything. I did feel knackered and weepy the whole weekend and into the start of the next week after I had the ERPC on a Friday - but somehow it just kept getting better. Stopping bleeding helps too, which for me was only 4 or 5 days after it. I know everyone is different but I just thought it might help to know that you can feel so much better so soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now