Talk

Advanced search

ERPC still performed with period?

(5 Posts)
debz6108 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:30:04

Im due for my ERPC very early tomorrow morning but I think I've started my period and am wondering if they'll still do it or will they wait until it stops. The procedure had been arranged a few weeks after my mc as I was managing it naturally but they thought some "products" had been left. I've been very nervous about it and now don't know what to think. the nurses at the early pregnancy
Unit are not there this late understandably so I guess I'll just have to turn up tomorrow morning and see what they say

Irishmammybread Tue 09-Oct-12 23:10:47

I don't know debz but I suppose they may scan you first to see if you still need the ERPC?
With two of my miscarriages (which were at 11 and 12 weeks) I was scanned several times as I also opted for natural management and even at 3 weeks after the MC had started I was told the miscarriage wasn't quite complete but what was remaining should come away with my first period. I didn't bleed any more until I had my AF which both times was 5 weeks after MC bleeding began. It was heavier and a bit more painful than usual but everything seemed to resolve on it's own afterwards.
Hope tomorrow isn't too traumatic for you, it's a nightmare having to keep going back to the EPU!

debz6108 Wed 10-Oct-12 00:06:34

Thanks I had natural management with my other 2 mcs and they said the same about waiting for my next period for it all to clear which is why I was surprised they wanted me to have a ERPC this time. I would've thought the best thing to do would be to scan me again when my period ends and see if Im clear. oh well guess ill find out tomorrow thanks again I'll post tomorrow once Im back

debz6108 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:21:06

In the end they scanned me before doing the procedure there was still some pregnancy tissue left they said I could wait for it to go naturally but to bear in mind I would be 14 weeks by now and that it might not clear it was a hard decision but I decided to wait. as soon as i was discharged I started second guessing my decision and broke down in tears as I could've gone for the op and it would be behind me now I was checked in and ready. the doctors approach this time was more open to natural management whereas last time I was pretty much talked into having the op. What does concern me as they said I cannot get pregnant again while the tissue is there I'm not in a hurry to try again as I feel I need some months to recover but they said they'll only scan me again if the bleeding lasts more than 2 weeks. if it doesn't how will I be sure it's gone seems strange to me but I guess they know what they are doing.

Irishmammybread Thu 11-Oct-12 12:45:14

Hi, presumably they do know what they're doing,I don't know if it depends on exactly how much tissue is present, they talked of figures in millimetres with my scans, under a certain thickness they assumed I wouldn't need any further intervention. I suppose if the bleeding has stopped completely within the next few weeks it will be likely to have resolved but I would have thought they would check! I'd go back if you're worried.
I think with regard to conceiving again, if the lining of the uterus has recovered and is receptive to a pregnancy it will happen,but I can see that you might want a few months, it takes time to recover emotionally as well as physically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now