Talk

Advanced search

Missed miscarriage at 16 weeks - what to expect?

(9 Posts)
goosey123 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:11:20

I had a scan this morning (16 weeks) which confirmed our baby had died shortly after the 12 week scan. Although we were both really upset, we had been prepared for bad outcome as we found out last week that CVS was abnormal.

I am now bleeding for the second day, not really heavy, but like a light period. And mild cramps. Because baby has shrunk in size, I can have ERCP despite dates, and this has been booked on Friday. This feels a life time away -I'm not sure whether to expect things to happen naturally before then as I am already bleeding and cramping. In other people's experience, how long did it take to move on to full on miscarriage? I have 2 small kids, and I'm a bit worried about managing the bleeding/pain of a late miscarriage in our small house...

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Mon 01-Oct-12 18:12:43

oh, i'm so sorry to hear about this. i've never lost a pregnancy quite that late, but i know it feels awful enough in the early days. my deepest sympathy.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 01-Oct-12 19:04:52

Hi Goosey
I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage.
You may find, as you are already bleeding with light cramps that you start your miscarriage properly before Friday.
My advice is to make sure you have plenty of physical support for this week and next week. I've had a few MC at nearly the same date as you and I found it helpful to buy in some easy meals for my husband to prepare.
You will need some extra large pads and some painkillers. Make sure you have the number of the early pregnancy unit to hand so you can call for some advice, if you need it.
Surgical management is generally safe and quick. I have had my uterus perforated from a ERPC but no lasting damage done.
You may find you are extremely tired for some time afterwards as you recover from the MC. Hopefully you'll feel physically back to normal within a couple of months. You will probably find that emotionally it will take longer though. Good Luck, take good care of yourself.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 01-Oct-12 19:11:35

Sorry Goosey
I just realised that I didn't actually answer your question.
Miscarriages can be really quick or take a couple of weeks. IME once I started having cramps it was over within a couple of days.
Speak to your early pregnancy unit for advice, they have vastly experienced nurses who will talk you through it. At my local hospital I was given the option to go in for a couple of days as I was worried about pain, bleeding and my general level of distress while going through it. You could ask for this?

lotsofcheese Mon 01-Oct-12 20:16:45

Oh Goosey, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

For both my m/c, I never progressed beyond cramping & spotting. I had surgery for both within 1-6 days of finding out.

I was advised by the hospital not to have a m/c at home beyond the 8/9 week stage as it would be too painful/messy - if things "took off" before the surgery I was to phone EPU or go to A&E if the pain/bleeding were too much.

Will be thinking of you over the next few days

goosey123 Mon 01-Oct-12 20:18:23

Thanks accidental, sorry you have been through this a few times. They did say I could go back in if it gets unbearable at home. That would be my preferred option, but bit of a logistical nightmare with childcare, as I would like my partner with me. I just want to be put to sleep now, and have it over with. I guess I am a bit relieved the foetus is so small for dates, which hopefully will make the process slightly less horrendous. At least I know whatever, it should physically be over by friday whichever way things go.

goosey123 Mon 01-Oct-12 20:25:37

Lotsofcheese, sorry you've had this a few times. When I went to A and E they said I would go in to hospital to actually miscarry, but that was when they thought I was measuring at 16 weeks. But I was quite surprised to be sent home today. But they were very reassuring I could go back, but only if I wasn't coping. How the hell you explain it all to the kids I don't know, they are both obviously stressed out by the situation, judging by the tantrum levels in the house (they didn't know I was pregnant).

lotsofcheese Mon 01-Oct-12 20:38:50

Goosey that was my worry too - having a m/c at home in charge of a wee one. Or DP not being back in time from work....just the upredictability of it all.

If you're going through more than a pad an hour, or the pain is too bad - don't hesitate to go in.

CheckItOutFartShoes Mon 01-Oct-12 20:45:35

So sorry your going through this Goosey, what an awful time for you. I had an ERPC a week ago on Friday, after finding out at 8 weeks I had a blighted ovum. In the days leading up to the op I had light bleeding and cramping but nothing much more than that, the EPU said just to call them if things started to happen before the op. if I'm honest, that was my worst nightmare, I didn't want anything to go wrong at home, especially with my DD around. On the morning of my op, I was bleeding quite heavily but all went ahead. I hope everything works out for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now