Talk

Advanced search

Are you really more fertile after a miscarriage?

(50 Posts)
MammaMo Mon 01-Oct-12 09:43:27

I miscarried 3 1/2 weeks ago and it's on my mind everyday
I want that feeling of being pregnant back and even though I am worried it may happen a second time I am keen on trying to conceive again.
It was a natural miscarriage and bleeding stopped after a week..scan showed everything to be normal and ovaries healthy. I have 2 DC and this was my first miscarriage
The advice was to wait for 1 period before trying again, a couple of days ago I had very light pink blood only when I wiped it only lasted for 2 days...is this a period?
I would really like to try again now and was wondering - are my more fertile at this stage or is that just a myth?

Stargirl76 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:39:45

I'm 40 y.o. and have sadly found out that I am having a miscarriage. I didn't realise that I was even pregnant until today.
I am still bleeding & know that hubby & I should wait until bleeding stops, but is it ok to start trying again straightaway?
Time is obviously not on my side & hubby & I really want a baby.

TurquoiseDress Wed 02-Nov-16 11:17:56

Not my own personal experience or so it seems!

I had mmc at 13 weeks over the summer, we're now on cycle 4 since then and no whiff of a pregnancy so far.

Although I would say that, due to continuous spotting/bleeding for well over 8 weeks following the mmc, we really didn't have as much as sex as we would have otherwise.

This was very annoying as it meant we couldn't just get on with it.

Plus I am hurtling towards the age of 39.

Peaceofmind2 Wed 02-Nov-16 07:01:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SleepFreeZone Fri 28-Oct-16 12:42:37

In case I'm afraid not, but plenty of people do conceive again soon afterwards so you can definitely have hope.

bananafish81 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:40:56

I wanted to thump anyone who told me I was more fertile after a miscarriage, after both my miscarriages, and they knew X or Y person who got pregnant with a miracle baby straight away after miscarrying

Given I can't get pregnant without IVF, I'm delighted for your friends, but that's no bloody relevance to my situation.

And given I have a copper coil in following surgery for uterine adhesions caused by my miscarriages, I would say I'm about as infertile as I have ever been

But thanks for making me feel even more barren by telling me about your mates!

Thingymaboob Sat 22-Oct-16 12:26:29

Just miscarried a week ago! Really want to be pregnant again but going to wait until I've grieved and lost a stone!

UnoriginalNN Sat 22-Oct-16 09:09:28

From my experience - I MC'd very early on in the middle of May and found out I was pregnant again towards the end of June. Huge shock and we feel very fortunate at it had taken 2 years up to that point. I was told that you are more fertile after an MC, but I haven't seen any studies.

Lacey86 Sat 22-Oct-16 08:55:03

Hi, I've been reading these posts for some time now and feel ready to tell my story. I was 11wks 2days preg and was due on my birthday next year 30th April. went for my 1st scan to be told the baby had stopped breathing at 8wks 2days. I was so devastated as we had planned this preg for the last year waiting for the right time. I MC when I was 15 which was unplanned and am now 30 so this is the 2nd officially. I have polycystic overies and had some cysts on them last year that was removed but we fell the first month we had tried. We want to try again straight away and wanted to know if I'm fertile as soon as I stop bleeding? I now feel like I'm never going to be a mum as things never work out for me Even though I've waited for the right time.

FionaEvelynJane Thu 13-Oct-16 12:00:40

I had a miscarriage on Monday at 7 weeks. It was my first pregnancy and we felt really lucky as we'd only been trying for 3 months. My DH and I were so excited and when the worst happened it was a really terrible shock. We're trying not to let it get us down though we're so keen to try again. Obviously I'm still bleeding, but I'm really hoping that we conceive again soon. I've read so many anecdotal stories of people conceiving straight after and going on to have healthy pregnancies. I was also advised by my doctor to wait for AF before trying again but as it seems to be all about dating the pregnancy (and honestly they'll figure it out eventually I don't mind!) We will be carrying on regardless. Will let you know what happens! Baby dust! Xxx

LeSquigh Sun 09-Oct-16 17:08:13

I don't know whether it's a coincidence or it is actually that I am more fertile but I had a missed miscarriage which completed four to six weeks or so ago. I don't have any pregnancy symptoms other than that I have the BAD grumps but I have done two pregnancy tests today and both are positive. This is definitely a new pregnancy as I had negative tests a few weeks ago. I haven't told anyone, including my DP, because I am shitting myself at the prospect of going through it all again and part of me wants it to all go away. My mmc took nearly six weeks to complete and was horrible. I may just bury my head in the sand for a while.....

Imnotmyself Mon 03-Oct-16 15:16:50

I also think you are more fertile after miscarriage. I had surgical management of a miscarriage last year in December and got pregnant sometime in February. I would just hazard a word of caution though. The MC made me think I really, really wanted a third child. My husband was not keen. I can only excuse myself by saying I was hormonally - charged at the beginning of the year. I browbeat him into trying for this one. I am now suffering from ante-natal depression and my midwife has told me that this is not uncommon amongst women who have miscarried. My youngest daughter will start school next September and childcare costs had just plummetted for us. I am 40 and the thought of returning to nappies, feeding, mat leave, toddlers group, all just fills me with dread - the weird thing being if you had asked me in January I would have claimed to be looking forward to all that. I realise now that I am robbing myself and my husband of a peaceful middle-age and we do not have the money to go round three children without quite a bit of hardship. We are both tired and old and I realise now very clearly that two was our number. Let yourself grieve before you dash headlong into a decision based (certainly in my case) on grief not rational reasoning. Take account of any reservations at the back of your mind and really listen if your partner is expressing any misgivings. I wish I had. For some trying again is right - but I really would wait at least six months for the grief to have waned - get counselling if you are spiralling downwards (I definitely was not mentally fit in January).

joan56 Sun 02-Oct-16 14:18:58

joan56 Sun 02-Oct-16 14:18:34

reenymummy2emily Mon 26-Sep-16 22:06:42

I've had two miscarriages one beginning of July and the other end of August now I've started my first proper cycle after coming off the pill does this mean my body is back to normal because me and my partner are really trying to have a baby and having no success

Natty1995 Thu 12-May-16 22:14:38

I mc for the first time a couple weeks ago at 6wks+3. Me and my partner are hoping to conceive again asap. As much as it upset us it showed us that even though it wasn't planned we both wanted it so much! And now I have the urge to be pregnant again, is this normal? I'm 21 and hoping that what you're saying about being more fertile afterwards is true!

Danlsb Thu 10-Mar-16 15:23:48

Hello Jazzyboo and jazzy belle sorry to hear of your losses. It's an awful experience. I had a mc on 22nd Feb I was 11weeks although I was scheduled for a d&c I mc naturally before the op. Bleeding finally stopped on the 7th had a scan on 8th March and told all looked clear. I did a pregnancy test last week which was negative so already knew that I had most likely past everything. I bought some ovulation tests as I want to start ttc straight away but I'm not sure they are reliable straight after mc as I have tested positive the last 4 days 😕 We had a go just incase. I guess we will just have to wait for either a period or a positive preg test. Fingers cross for us all. Let us know how you get on.

jazzybelle12 Wed 09-Mar-16 13:27:09

Sorry for your loss I had 2 miscarriages one last September at 6 weeks and then at 7 weeks on Feb 13th and already have a 4 yr old. After a week of bleeding we had intecourse straight away and have been since. I'm in the same position would love to conceive as soon as, fingers crossed! just waiting now for AF to arrive (hope it doesnt) smile

Jazzyboo2016 Tue 08-Mar-16 23:21:45

I had a mc on march 3rd how long do I wait to conceive again??is it possible to get pregnant right away because me and my fiance have intercourse on march 4th and my hcg level was still at 20.

ILoveYouBaby Fri 03-Jul-15 21:45:33

After 2.5 years ttc, I got pregnant months after my first mc.

had a further mc 6 months ago, cycles still all over the shop, and no pregnancy.

flora717 Tue 30-Jun-15 13:18:36

It certainly worked for me (and I struggle yo get pregnant). It was a very confusing time though.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 27-Jun-15 18:26:47

The is evidence to suggest you are more fertile. I can't remember links but will have a google. However I do remember that the reason is uncertain- perhaps those who get pregnant quicker have better outcomes because their miscarriage was 'just one of those things'rather than caused by a fertility issue, or perhaps there is an age correlation.

Anecdotally, I mc at 12 weeks before Christmas. I has previously had a healthy pregnancy, conceived quickly and with no problems. I was 29 so not high risk. Took a couple of months break to recover emotionally and then got pregnant first cycle. I'm now 20 weeks.
With twins. No twins in my family so I'm wondering if my post-mc body for a bit enthusiastic and started chucking out eggs in every direction. Perhaps not, but who knows.
Good luck and sorry for your loss. Miscarriages can fuck off.

puzzledleopard Thu 25-Jun-15 23:16:43

I had a miscarriage right at the beginning of April at 7 weeks and my Hcg was back to 3 on 1st May. Though was not trying to actively conceive believe we conceived again some time within this time. All the pregnancy signs were back again but has resulted in another early miscarriage/Implantation failure sad But I fell pregnant pretty soon after so unsure if its true or a coincidence.
I'm 28 would be 4th MC I have a DD who is 4 (From a previous relationship) 2 Mc from this relationship (He has two Children from previous) beginning to wonder if we are not compatible to making babies.

Sakura03 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:14:11

Bagoir sorry for your loss. I was 5 weeks and 3 when I miscarried on 28 May just as we were flying out to Turkey on holiday! For me the bleeding lasted 6 days, the first 48 hrs were tough due to the cramping and excruciating lower back pain (didn't have any pain killers...). AF arrived today exactly 4 weeks after 1st day of MC. I really hope I will fall pregnant again soon. Best of luck to everyone

Bagoir40 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:31:08

My husband and I are 40 and had been ttc since September 2014...we were over the moon to be pg but at 5 weeks and 3 days I mc on Saturday. An overwhelming sadness even though it was very early. I feel like our dreams were just snatched from us...reading your experiences on here has helped me a lot. Lots of discussion about fertility post mc and we have lots of friends with the same experience. Was also told to wait for next cycle...am still bleeding and having painful cramps...it's definitely an emotional roller coaster. Hugs for all who are going through this xx

Whatwillbewillbe43 Sun 10-May-15 22:43:38

Good luck mamama31 I have just found out today I have had a missed miscarriage and am desperate to conceive again... When you said you were still testing positive did you mean for a pregnancy test? As I hear hormones are still present for a while I wonder if ovulation tests work? Anyway good luck with it I will pray for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now