Talk

Advanced search

So tomorrow is the day...

(15 Posts)
CheckItOutFartShoes Thu 20-Sep-12 16:37:30

...I go for an Erpc. 2nd scan this morning confirmed a blighted ovum. Not sure how I feel, a mixture of relief that it will soon be over but also shitting myself at the thought of surgery.

I have ended up going privately for the procedure. After telling me earlier in the week that they would do it on Friday, my local hosp said the earliest they could now do it was next Tuesday as it is a local bank holiday weekend and none of the docs would be in. After making a snide comment about them being too busy on the golf course (much to DHs embarrassment) and getting an over whelming urge to slap the midwife for delivering the surgery date news, we left and phoned our local private hosp. Consultation tonight and then surgery tomorrow morning and then hopefully we can begin to move on.

Quick practical question for those who have been through thos already: I'm planning on taking pjs, dressing gown, pants, pads etc. anything else you would recommend taking?

Thanks x

misslaughalot Thu 20-Sep-12 16:50:05

Hi, sorry this is happening to you.
I had an erpc last year. I went in to hospital about 7am, into surgery by about 8am and was back on the ward by 8.45. However, I wasn't discharged until about 3.30pm so I would take something to read or occupy yourself. I couldn't sleep in the hospital and got pretty bored just waiting to be discharged. It might be quicker if you're going private though?

ConeyIslandBaby Thu 20-Sep-12 16:53:58

Hello Checkit. Sorry you're having to go through this. It's impossible not to worry at the thought of surgery but its over so quickly, I think you're only asleep for about 45 mins... plus you're going private so you'll have top notch care.

I recommend you wear something really comfortable for the ride home, I wore skinny jeans for some reason and was really uncomfortable! I think tracky bottoms would have been better! Also I was covered in iodine(?) around my thighs etc so would recommend wet wipes to clean yourself up and wear dark clothing so it doesn't stain. It wasn't very painful for me afterwards but I did take paracetamol and ibuprofen for 24 hours or so, worth getting some in case you need them.

I guess you won't have to wait long as you're going private but I took a good book with me and was glad of it as I waited about 4 hours for surgery.

Give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover x

lotsofcheese Thu 20-Sep-12 17:41:27

I've had 2 ERCP's & can second what the others have said, especially re: reading material & wipes. Plus slippers. Wore my glasses instead of contacts & nail varnish off toes/hands.

For both ERCP's - at different hospitals - I was given pessaries to insert into my vagina, which I was told took 2-3 hours to work (softening the cervix) so was always last on the surgery list & had a lot of hanging around. Got home about 3ish having been in since 7.30.

The surgeon, anaesthetist & nurse saw me before-hand & I signed a consent form. I had bloods taken & blood pressure done. You can ask about pathology, karotyping etc if it's your 2nd/3rd loss.

About an hour after the op I had something to eat, then was free to go (I did feel a bit sicky & BP was low, which is apparently common)

I was tired & uncomfortable for a couple of days (couldn't have looked after DS on own) but never in pain.

Hoping it goes well tomorrow - in some ways I found it a relief to be able to move on

CheckItOutFartShoes Thu 20-Sep-12 18:13:42

Thanks everyone, it's comforting to hear people's experiences. I'm just off to Tesco to stock up on magazines, wipes oh and new pjs as I am to embarrassed to take the ones I have, which must be about the same age as my dd - who is 8 blush

lotsofcheese Thu 20-Sep-12 18:20:38

Don't forget a dressing gown either - you may be dressed in these lovely hospital gowns which gape at the back & you'll probably want to cover up.

Good luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you

misslaughalot Fri 21-Sep-12 10:14:58

Thinking of you today check

CheckItOutFartShoes Fri 21-Sep-12 15:19:38

Thanks so much misslaughalot and for your really kind thoughts, that's me home and tucked up on the couch with my trashy gossip mags while DH hoovers and dusts bless him! Procedure went fine, last thing I remember was having a chat with the anesthetoligist[sp!] about Andy Murray and next thing I knew I was back in recovery. Back up to my room within the hour and then home 4 hours later.

The first hour after the op was the worst, felt quite sick from the anesthetic and had a strong period like cramp but they gave me an anti sickness tablet and a couple of pain killers which soon sorted that. Feeling a little bit wobbly on my feet now and wouldn't like to do too much but I'm not in any pain and bleeding is just like a normal period.

If anyone reading this is about to go through the same thing, please try not to worry (easier said than done, I know), you will be just fine xx

CheckItOutFartShoes Fri 21-Sep-12 15:20:37

Thanks to you too lotsofcheese - for some reason your name is disappeared from my last post! x

ConeyIslandBaby Fri 21-Sep-12 17:31:34

Glad it all went ok Check and you're home and comfy now. Your DH sounds lovely! Mine looked after me with tea and sympathy etc but he never got round to any housework!! Take care x

lotsofcheese Fri 21-Sep-12 17:48:35

Glad to hear you got on ok. In some ways, I found it a relief to have the surgery as I could move on.

Take it easy - you'll be a wee bit tired & uncomfortable for a couple of days. And I'm saluting your DH for doing the household chores - he sounds a real gem

PostmanPatsBlackandWhiteCat Fri 21-Sep-12 17:53:44

I am glad it went ok for you CheckItOutFartShoes. Your DH sounds lovely! mine gave me lots of hugs and sympathy and even done the washing !!!.Rest and take it easy sleep and cry.

CheckItOutFartShoes Fri 21-Sep-12 18:00:10

Thanks again everyone, just read back over my earlier posts - i'll blame the effects of the anesthetic for all my typos!

DH is indeed a gem, I couldn't have got through this without him.

Agree about the feeling of relief lotsofcheese, I feel like a bit of a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Just looking forward to getting back to feeling normal and then we can think about what we want to do next.

messtins Fri 21-Sep-12 19:52:58

Glad it went smoothly for you. Take care of yourself and let your DH take care of you. Jen xx

CheckItOutFartShoes Fri 21-Sep-12 20:10:20

Thanks messtins xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now