Talk

Advanced search

Is it a miscarriage?

(4 Posts)
lindorchocs Tue 25-Oct-11 08:19:02

Hi
I am very confused and hoping someone can help. I found out about 13 days ago that I was pregnant. About 6 days ago when I was 8.3 weeks I had a tiny amount of spotting. I attended a EPAU and after a scan showed no evidence of a baby in the womb, they did HCG blood tests that day then 48 hours later. These levels indicated that I was still pregnant but possibly ectopic. The levels were 1600 on the Thurs then 1700 on the Sat.
As I was feeling otherwise well with no pain or further bleeding I was allowed to travel home. ( I had been visiting relatives a 3 hour drive away when the spotting started)
After visiting my local hospital yesterday and a further scan which again showed nothing, they have said I have miscarried at some point and the first hospital was wrong to investigate the ectopic pregnancy.They also refused to do a further HCG blood test despite still testing positive for pregnancy through a urine test. I am really confused because I would have expected lots of bleeding if I had miscarried.
Has anyone else ever heard of a miscarriage without any pain and about 3 spots of blood?
If I have miscarried how long does it take for a pg test to say negative?

farfallarocks Tue 25-Oct-11 13:34:02

lindor i would go back to the hospital with some urgency, this could very well be ectopic and I have no idea why they are being so blase. If you are testing positive with minimal spotting and there is no evidence of a pregnancy in the womb they should absolutely be investigating.

Is there any way that you are less far along than you think and that you are pregnant normally but nothing is yet visible on the scan?

Don't take no for an answer.

If you get any shoulder tip pain go straight to A&E.
Hugs

banana87 Tue 25-Oct-11 20:52:13

I agree with farfallarocks. You would know if you miscarried. Miscarriage is not a few spots of blood, its lots of blood. It sounds very much like it could be ectopic, or otherwise your dates are wrong (at 8.5 weeks your HCG levels should be in the hundreds of thousands). Please go back and do not take no for an answer!

RickGhastley Tue 25-Oct-11 21:45:14

OP have you been back to hospital for more checks yet?

Agree with previous posters that if you'd miscarried you would know by the hideous bleeding and pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now