Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a cervical stitch put in and had a healthy pregnancy

(14 Posts)
Moominsarescary Sun 09-Oct-11 17:09:34

we recently lost our baby boy at 20 weeks due to my cervix opening and have been told that next time I will need a stitch putting in early in the pregnancy

mustdash Sun 09-Oct-11 17:14:08

Sorry for the loss of your little boy.

Not me, but one of my NCT group did. Her gorgeous little bundle is now 9 years old. Good luck.

CroissantNeuf Sun 09-Oct-11 17:16:43

I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy.

A friend of mine lost a boy at 21 weeks however she went on to have 3 successful pregnancies with the help of a cervical stitch.

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Oct-11 17:17:03

So sorry.

My mum lost a baby about 20 weeks or so and had a cervical stitch, then CS at 36 weeks, with my sister. The pg was healthy. This was 37 years ago. A girl I know in passing also had a similar experience much more recently. My understanding of cervical stitches is that they are generally very effective at keeping a pregnancy "going" where the mother has an incompetent cervix (what a lovely, ego boosting phrase). I had along chat with my mw about this in first pg due to my mum's history.

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Oct-11 17:17:20

Oh, a good luck.

WorzselMummage Sun 09-Oct-11 17:18:56

My Son tried escaping at 22 weeks and I had an emergency stitch (a shirodkar) Which kept him in for another 5 weeks. Stitches have a much much better success rate if they are done at 12 or 13 weeks.

Pop over the the Bliss Messageboard and as on there, There are lots of Mummies that have had a successful term pregnancy after a late loss or early premature birth.

I am so sorry for the loss of your Son sad

Do you know why you have IC?

Moominsarescary Sun 09-Oct-11 17:38:34

Thanks everyone , were not sure why I have ic, I've never had a problem before although I did have preterm premature rupture of membranes with ds2 ( 35 weeks) And ds3 (31 weeks) which we've never found the reason for.

Ds3 is nearly 7 months old now and was born by emcs due to cord prolapse, the ic could have been caused by the cord having to be pushed back and held in my womb until ds3 was delivered (I was only 4-5 cm dilated) but we are not sure.

My consultant was realy good and put a stitch in but the waters started bulging through again the next day so it had to be removed, my waters broke soon after and our son was born 6 days later

WorzselMummage Sun 09-Oct-11 18:18:15

I have much the same story as you actually, pprom with first pregnancy @ 30 weeks and then more typical IC afterwards. Mines caused by repeat LLetz procedures we think.

It sounds as if you have had a really tough couple of years sad

Who is your consultant? There are a couple of really good IC consultants about. Would you be happy to have a TVC or has your consultant mentioned a transabdominal cerclage?

TAC has been suggested to me because of the pprom but tbh, i'm too scared to have another baby which is a shame as we would dearly love one.

Good luck smile

MangoMonster Sun 09-Oct-11 18:34:16

So sorry for your loss. My mum had a stitch for both my brother and I.

Moominsarescary Sun 09-Oct-11 20:08:44

My consultant is an nhs one in Nottingham and he's realy good, I'm so glad I dont have some of the ones I've met in the last 8 months.

I'm no sure which stitch yet, I go for my postnatal in about 4 weeks and we will talk about it then. I'm thinking he will suggest the transabdominal as I'm not a candidate for vbac after the emcs.

Were not sure yet if we will try again either

ashtangini Wed 12-Oct-11 15:21:23

Hi, I've had two stitches. My cervix is ultra short due to a cone biopsy in my late 20s.

My first stitch was a failure and I lost the baby at 22 weeks. The stitch failed because an infection got in. It was a McDonald stitch which are open to the vaginal environment and hence quite risky for infection. Although I do know women who've had these and had full term pregnancies with no problems, I would never have another again.

For my next pregnancy, they took a wait and see approach as they weren't sure I had true IC. Even though my cervix was short, it could have been strong. They monitored my cervical length by ultrasound and I also had "progesterone therapy", basically suppositories from about 14 weeks through to week 35 or so. These help keep the pregnancy stable and I would definitely ask for these again. At 16 weeks the US picked up shortening from 2cm to 1cm and I had a Shirodkar put in. The cut off length for the cervix is 1.5cm I think.

I then went to full term but in the end, the Shirodkar was so good and placed so high that they couldn't get it out and I ended up with an EMCS (to cut a long story short!) I now have a beautiful 20 month old DS which, at times, I thought might never happen for us.

TAC was also an option for me in my last pregnancy but I decided that it might be too much. Although I ended up with a TAC-style Shirodkar!

Good luck with your decision. There is an IC board, although USA-centric, has a lot of great support and information on it. http://ic.hobh.org/forums/

You're also welcome to read my blog of events - I can PM you the URL if you want it.

We are trying again for another, although I'm 41 now so don't know if it will happen. If it did, I would probably go for a Shirodkar at 12-13 weeks and progesterone suppositories and keep my fingers well and truly crossed!

Good luck. smile

LIBBY70 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:40:06

Hi Moomin, really sorry for the loss of your little boy.
I lost my first baby after going into prem labour at 23wks. I had a stitch put in with all 3 subsequent pregnancies-all successful. Stitch Op fine wasnt allowed to swim or have sex for rest of preg in case of infection tho. Think the cause of mine was either a cone biopsy for pre-cancerous cells when i was younger or the fact that i have a bicornuate uterus. Good luck for the future.

Moominsarescary Thu 13-Oct-11 13:09:29

Thanks everyone, ashtangini would be great if you could pm me the blog

I'm waiting for my post natal appointment to arrive so I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible before hand.

We are not sure yet if we will ttc again, it's still realy early days and dp is scared it will happen again .

pink4ever Thu 13-Oct-11 20:13:42

I have had lots of experience of incompetent cervix-sadly. I lost my first dc at 24 weeks. Went to hospital at 20 weeks with very slight pink discharge and was found to be 3cm dilated. Had an emergency stitch put in-at 2nd time of trying-but they puncutured my waters. Infection got in and I went into labour and my dc lived only briefly.

I then had vaginal stitch put it at 13 weeks with next pregnancy. Was taken out at 37 weeks and I had a healthy dc.

Subsequently went on to lose 2 babies in late pregnancy-despite having stitch in-but this was put down to a blood clotting problem as well so not not just the ic.

Then went on to have the transabdominal stitch put in. Since gone on to have 2 more dcs with very little problems.

Pm if you need more information. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now