Talk

Advanced search

Miscarriage at 9 weeks - how long should NHS take to see me?

(8 Posts)
fatfinger Sat 08-Oct-11 06:45:13

I started to bleed heavily on Wednesday night after bad pain at 9 weeks pregnant.

I went to see the GP on Thursday morning and he tried to get me seen in the EPU but they won't see me until next Tuesday. Is this reasonable/normal?

I am still having bleeding on/off but no more real pain, just period-type cramps. I know I am miscarrying and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it, but I just feel completely abandoned to get on with it. Right now this is causing almost as much upset then the loss of pregnancy itself.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sat 08-Oct-11 07:18:22

Oh love, i'm sorry to hear this, but ime, it is normal.

I miscarried at ten weeks on the Sunday evening over Easter, and on the Tuesday i rang the EPU who said they wouldn't see me for another fortnight just to make sure that everything had come away.

Please take care of you x

Northernlurker Sat 08-Oct-11 07:22:29

I know this is very upsetting but unfortunately the medical options are limited too. If you were bleeding very heavily you should be taken straight in to hospital and receive intervention to (I'm sorry this is horrid and there's no easy way to say it) remove all the products of conception from your uterus.
In your case though it sounds like the bleeding is settling. A scan on Tuesday will at least show you if the miscarriage is complete. If you had been scanned yesterday whilst still bleeding they might well have needed to ask you to come back again anyway to check all is complete - without knowing the waiting list for the EPU it's difficult to know if you're waiting because of this aspect or because they are very busy.

I agree there is little support though - because the medical profession can do very little about a miscarriage except for ensure it is complete and you are medically well afterwards, there just isn't very much there for you. So lean on mumsnet, keep warm, keep drinking and eat if you can and take plenty of painkillers.

Wormshuffler Sat 08-Oct-11 07:26:09

Sorry fatfinger sad I'm afraid it is normal.

I had the same timescale and I finally went to the EPU and had a scan after bleeding heavily and cramping for 6 days. They scanned me and found the heartbeat and I was congratulated on everything being ok and then sent on my way. An hour or so later I passed the whole thing. To be honest looking back at it now I wish I had never seen it on the scan and that the scan had been even later, that way I would have thought it had died ages ago rather than having seen it alive only a couple of hours before. However at the time I was desperate to just be told it was all overwith so I could start to greive and move on.
It would be helpful if GP's said this to us, that way we wouldn't feel so abandoned.
I'm really sorry you are having to go through this, if you start bleeding really heavily more thn 1 pad an hour then go to A and E, they will need to refer you as it's not good to lose too much blood.
Be good to yourself, treat yourself to your favorite food and drink and feel free to wallow xxxx

fatfinger Sat 08-Oct-11 07:48:07

Thank you for your replies. Wormshuffler - I am desperate to have a scan for exactly the same reason as you were, I want to see that it has died so I can grieve and move on. I know there's nothing else that an EPU can really do for me. I hadn't considered the implications of seeing anything other than this on the scan.

Wormshuffler Sat 08-Oct-11 15:01:33

I believe what happened in my case is not the norm, however if you go before the miscarriage is complete you may have to go back again . It's not a nice place you are much better snuggled up at home . Hugs x

pep124 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:47:26

I can't believe these timescales, has made me realise I've been really "lucky" in my nhs care.
Beige discharge weds night this week (at almost 12 wks), called epu myself thurs 8.30am, went in at 10am for a scan and to be told I'd had a mmc. Options (natural, medical, surgical) explained to me by totally lovely midwife, and was booked in for surgery at 9.30am the following day. In the end I began to miscarry naturally in the early hours of friday, so couldn't have surgery and had to do it naturally in hospital. All the staff on the epu were amazing througout the day.
This was obviously enormously upsetting and traumatic in itself, but I can't beginto imagine how I'd have coped if I'd had to wait longer for scans or surgery (altho it was rendered unnecessary in the end). Have so much sympathy for you fatfinger and your wait. The only thing I'd say is that it might just be worth calling epu yourself and explaining the situation and how upset you are; on weds night I was sent to a&e by my gp, and they said I wouldn't get a scan at epu until the following week. But when I called directly they let me refer myself and saw me within two hours. Good luck with everything and look after yourself

mylittlemonkey Mon 17-Oct-11 20:19:01

I too have had very good experience with NHS and quite taken aback at how long you have had to wait. I had some spotting at 6 weeks and was seen that day for a scan which showed baby was ok. Had some more heavier bleeding today at 9 weeks and was told no heartbeat and that baby had not been growing for past two weeks so probably only a few days after my first scan. I rang in the morning and was seen for scan at 3pm. I also rang gynological ward direct so maybe that's it. I have been given options of natural, pill or surgical and am being seen tomorrow to prep me for the option I decide and then will be booked in on weds for the procedure. I am only very lightly bleeding though and perhaps it's because they do not think baby will come out on it's own if not already done after two weeks.

So sorry to hear about your mmc. I am still in shock and feel pretty numb. I just really though they would tell me everything was ok. I don't think it has sunk in yet. I almost wish baby had come out naturally so don't have to go through procedures but they said it could be 2 weeks or longer if I left to come naturally and really don't want to draw out that long. Want to grieve and move on.

Maybe you should ring the ward at your nearest hospital and see if you get a bette response.

Hope it does not last too long for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now