Talk

Advanced search

ERPC tomorrow - any advice please?

(17 Posts)
skinnymuffin Thu 06-Oct-11 13:58:21

An epu scan yesterday picked up a mmc at 8 weeks after some persistent spotting. Have opted for an erpc tomorrow afternoon.

The ward rang this morning to say report early to sign consent forms and what to bring. They said:

have a light breakfast before 6.30am, then just sips of water, nothing more.

Bring a dressing gown, slippers, comfy clothes, pads, a small washbag and paracetamol.

If anyone who has been through this and can offer me any advice I'd be very grateful. My head is in a spin and I know I will be scared when the time comes, I haven't had a general anaesthetic before.

Dh is coming with me, can he stay do you think? They've said I'll be home by evening.

Thanks,
Skinny

MillontheFloss Thu 06-Oct-11 15:40:57

My DH came in with me although I had the ERPC under local anaesthetic so wanted him there for moral support and to talk to me. The bleeding afterwards can be quite heavy but for me only on the day of the op- bled lightly for about 8 days afterwards.

I can't offer any words on how you'll feel after gen anasthetic as never had it but by all accounts you'll just feel a little dozy afterwards like you've had a nice deep sleep.

Hope you feel ok.

KatAndKit Thu 06-Oct-11 16:09:10

I'm sorry about your miscarriage.
Your husband will be able to stay with you during the day but obviously not when they take you up to theatre. If you are going in in the morning, you'll most likely be home in the afternoon if they are running to time. I went in at 8 am and was out by 2pm.

I had never had a general before either and I was frightened too, and of course you are emotional at the time which makes it worse. But it was ok. It hurts when they put the cannula in your hand but a few seconds after that you are asleep so the pain is very short lived. When you come around you may be a bit woozy during the rest of the day and will need looking after at home.

Don't forget to take some proper decent sanitary towels. The bigger the better. I didn't actually have that much bleeding the day of the op, it was worse the next day, but you definitely need a good supply of towels. You won't be able to use tampons while you are still bleeding. Night towels are best at first.

The washbag is a good idea, some wipes might be useful for cleaning your self up after the op as in my experience they didn't do this for me and I still had the iodine stuff all over my fanjo. Dressing gown is necessary as hospital gowns open at the back and that is no good if you need the loo.

Take some reading material with you as although you have to report there early that doesn't mean you are the first person on the theatre list and you may be waiting a while during the morning. We found that doing the crossword and puzzle pages of the paper together passed a nervous and emotional moment well.

You will feel crap when they take you to theatre and you will feel crap when you wake up. It is unfortunately to be expected as you are losing a baby. But for me, having the erpc did help me to begin moving on.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this but it will be ok and it is, thankfully, a quick and simple operation. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

skinnymuffin Thu 06-Oct-11 19:46:17

Well, it is certainly reassuring to know that dh will be with me for most of the time, I realise he can't be in theatre but at least there when I wake up.

Good advice about wipes, thank you, and thank you for your sympathetic replies. I feel a bit numb to be honest but I expect it will gradually sink in, I just can't get past the procedure at the moment, when that's over I hope I can move forward.

Thank you again for your replies, I really appreciate it.

KatAndKit Thu 06-Oct-11 19:59:02

You will wake up in the recovery area of the theatre, so he won't be there, but they will wheel you straight back to him. I found when I woke up to be the hardest part because I had expected to be back in my room on the ward and was upset to be somewhere strange so better for you to be prepared.

Let us know how you are doing, there are so many people on here who know what you are going through if you need some support when it is all over.

skinnymuffin Thu 06-Oct-11 20:35:09

Thank you for telling me that, I really thought I'd come round to find him holding my hand! It doesn't help having to face real life when you watch far too much tv...

This just sucks from top to bottom doesn't it? sad

KatAndKit Thu 06-Oct-11 20:36:43

I'm afraid it really does suck, you aren't wrong there.

skinnymuffin Thu 06-Oct-11 21:01:48

Well I'll let you know how I'm getting on, and in the meantime (sorry to sound like a cracked record) thank you. We haven't told many people in rl so it is an enormous help being able to ask questions here.

KatAndKit Thu 06-Oct-11 21:03:27

You are more than welcome. Wishing you all the best to get through tomorrow as best as possible.

topsmart Fri 07-Oct-11 09:21:22

Good luck today skinnymuffin, and anyone else having the op today. I'm having my second one this afternoon. 4th MC. Not a lot to say really. Just shit.

skinnymuffin Fri 07-Oct-11 10:02:59

Good luck topsmart x

Mama5isalive Fri 07-Oct-11 17:29:00

ohhh how sad, and cruel that we have to go through this.
I felt so empty after my op and its so emotional waking up feeling pregnant going to bed knowing your not! awful and wouldnt wish this on anyone!!!!
be kind and take care - Topsmart - im so sorry your going through this all again - all the best in the future, hold onto hope that you will have a baby in the future xxx

topsmart Fri 07-Oct-11 18:10:49

Thanks guys. Thank god for iPhone and 3G. Am resting and stuffing face after this afternoons op. All went well. IYKWIM.

All I feel is relief right now. Was terribly sad yesterday and Wednesday - 12 wk scan showed MMC after really good 8 and 10 week scans. Had even seen baby on 10 wk scan which we'd never seen with the last three MCs (hadn't got past 8 wks). We have a 5 yr old daughter who is amazing and she's the reason I can keep going (along with fabioso DP of course smile

How are the rest of you doing?

KatAndKit Fri 07-Oct-11 18:20:42

Oh how dreadful to go through that after two good scans sad
I am glad you have got through your op fine though and you have a sense of relief that it is all over.

skinnymuffin Fri 07-Oct-11 18:41:02

Hello there. I'm awake and have eaten. Feeling ok apart from horrible bleeding. Topsmart, glad you're ok too. One of the doctors today expressed surprise that I'd seen a heartbeat at my scan two weeks ago and am now facing this. It didn't really make me feel better to know I've been so unlucky. I am very sorry that you had two such scans and are still in the same position, that is awful sad

Anyway, I will be glad to have this bloody cannula out of my hand, it is bothering me more than anything right now.

Thank you everyone for your support, it's nice not to feel so alone in all this.

KatAndKit Fri 07-Oct-11 18:59:58

Hello glad you are doing alright now. Hope you are back home soon and putting your feet up under a nice cosy blanket or something else comforting.

topsmart Fri 07-Oct-11 19:17:33

Gawd, the canula. Just wanted to pull it out myself! Glad you're ok skinnymuffin. And I hope - no, I'm sure - you'll have better luck than me in future smile. Take it easy.

Home now, tucked up in bed. About to watch Made in Chelsea on catch-up.
DP gone to pick up DD. Will she believe the 'mummy has a tummy ache story'? Watch this space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now