Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Facing third loss due to Chronic Histiocytic Intervillositis (CHI)

(2 Posts)
kaosfusion Tue 04-Oct-11 17:16:18

I am new to Mum's net but wanted to raise awareness and ask that if you are suffering from repeated miscarriage or growth restriction during pregnancy to encourage placentas to be tested for this condition which is supposedly rare but I believe is probably more common if pathologists know to check for it when they conduct post mortems.

My story
I lost my twins boys in January this year at 25+2 weeks. They both suffered from Severe IUGR and we elected to perform selective foeticide on the smaller twin Benedetto hoping to save the larger one that way. It didn't work, that procedure caused an infection and the larger twin Vincenzo died 5 days later. Their post mortem showed that they were perfect but the placenta showed signs of Chronic Histiocytic Intervillositis (CHI) .

I got pregnant again in April this year. One baby this time. At 23 weeks I was told the baby was starting to struggle again with IUGR. CHI is back and squeezing this baby's ability to grow. I am 27 +1 weeks pregnant and the Consultants tells me that the baby is too small to be delivered, isn't viable. I have been sent home and told to wait until the heart stops. This baby will be stillborn.

I am an extreme case, other sufferers usually miscarry much earlier than I but one thing is clear that once it has been spotted once it reoccurs.

I hope that someone finds it yourself. If you are aware of this condition you can find out more about it by visiting my blog http://vincenzobenedetto.blogspot.com where there are links under the resource section about support groups.

toomanydinosaurs Wed 05-Oct-11 11:27:39

I'm so sorry for what you've gone through and are still going through. It's truly unfair that anyone should go through so much heartache. I hope that one day more can be done for women with this condition as it seems a lot is still unknown about pregnancy and childbirth.

I do hope a miracle happens and your baby does survive this terrible ordeal.

You are in my thoughts.
xxxxxxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now