Talk

Advanced search

Clexane injections & Prednisolone

(18 Posts)
RUBYAPPLE Mon 03-Oct-11 20:54:37

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I can buy this or if its available on the NHS (as I've been told its quite expensive)?

Also, if anyone could offer advice on administering the Clexane injections (does this need to be injected under the skin/directly in the vein), it would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ruby x

Moominsarescary Tue 04-Oct-11 08:26:46

They are both available on the nhs, clexane is injected just under the skin ( usually into the stomach) not into a vein

kat2504 Tue 04-Oct-11 11:26:04

You can't just buy clexane. If you have a blood clotting disorder then you can get it prescribed on the nhs, or privately by a doctor if you are having private treatment. it is injected into the fatty tissue under the skin, usually in the stomach or thigh.

Prednisolone is a steroid and you can't just get your hands on it without a prescription either.

kaosfusion Tue 04-Oct-11 14:28:42

I have been on Clexane since the start of the pregnancy. It is usually prescribed without problems if you have clotting issues. Same for the hormones. For how to inject have a look on you tube. Search for 'Clexane' there are some helpful videos there.

kat2504 Tue 04-Oct-11 14:30:07

If you are prescribed clexane a doctor or nurse will teach you how to self inject it. But yes, the videos on youtube are helpful because you don't always remember everything they tell you in the hospital when you are trying it at home!

RUBYAPPLE Tue 04-Oct-11 21:22:46

Hi girls

Thanks for the advice. I have a private prescription for both, I am on IVF treatment where you have to give yourself daily injections so looking at it, it must be the same.

I will look in up on utube too.

Thanks again
Ruby x

Moominsarescary Wed 05-Oct-11 15:32:29

Look at subcutaneous injections

Moominsarescary Wed 05-Oct-11 15:42:12

I always find it easiest to injectect into the stomach at lest an inch a way from the belly button

1) clean injection site with a wipe
2) pinch the skin
3) hold the needle at a 90 degree angle ( bit like a pen)
4) put the needle in quickly ( slowly hurts more)
5) alternate sides

Hope everything goes well for you

RUBYAPPLE Wed 05-Oct-11 19:54:41

Thanks Moominsarescary, I appreciate your advice. I too hope things work out for you too.

yeahyeahitsallmyfault Wed 05-Oct-11 21:14:57

A couple of tips (from my 650+ clexane injections), if it hurts in one spot move the needle even 5mm it might hurt less there. Also inject the fluid slooooooooooowly, the slower the better and you'll avoid bruising. DO NOT rub the area afterwards even if it really stings (I had a bruise that you wouldn't believe). Good luck.x

KatAndKit Thu 06-Oct-11 09:12:58

I agree with do not rub under any circumstance at all. And ensure you don't do your belt back up tightly right away over the injection site!

Moominsarescary Thu 06-Oct-11 17:16:55

Ouch with the belt! I had a mw do one last week who put it in side ways instead of a 90 degree angle, it smarts just abit!

RUBYAPPLE Thu 06-Oct-11 19:20:39

Hi everyone

Thanks for the tips! My GP said its impossible for me to have this on the NHS (private is private, NHS is NHS) so if you know of anywhere I can get this on the cheap, I'd be grateful.

Have any of your pregnancies been successful following this? I'm so desperate for this to work (following 5 miscarriages) - I don't want to have a 6th one but I can't help feeling doubtful......

My immune system is fine however I have been told I have very high NK cells hence being prescribed this.

Thanks for your help
Ruby x

yeahyeahitsallmyfault Thu 06-Oct-11 19:42:44

Ruby I had 4 mc & now 2 babies. I have antiphospholipid syndrome (hughes) and clexane, aspirin and 400mg of progesterone did it for me. Quite different to IVF, but you know they can change outcomes with some of these drugs.
I do know that clexane is an expensive heprin (heprin is the drug, clexane is a brand as I understand it) at £4 a pop I would ask if there are any alternatives.... not sure they'll mess with system though. Good luck.x

yeahyeahitsallmyfault Thu 06-Oct-11 19:43:08

the system even!

Moominsarescary Fri 07-Oct-11 00:04:32

I had clexane on the nhs for five days following my csection in march, I also had it last week after surgery to put a stitch in my cervix again on the nhs, so have no Experiance regarding it's use during ivf, sorry

eclecticdreams Sat 08-Oct-11 14:11:51

I've PM'd you the name of the pharmacy I used. Lots of women use them for IVF drugs privately. I got all IVF drugs and clexane and prednisolone from them. Prednisolone is cheap, a couple of pounds but the clexane is more expensive, sorry, I can't remember how much.
I'm convinced the clexane and prednisolone is the reason I now have my daughter after 4 losses and 3 ivfs.
Good luck

BagofHolly Wed 12-Oct-11 22:35:19

Once you're pregnant you can argue, usually successfully that you need this to support an established pregnancy. You'll need a letter from your clinic saying so. Another option is to request/insist on a referral to the local haematology department as many have a protocol for the management of clexane pregnant women. They are also in a position to insist your GP prescribes it or they can prescribe it themselves. You'll need your platelets monitored monthly, which can be done either by the GP or by haematology. In any event it's absolutely of no consequence at that point HOW you got pregnant - your local NHS has a duty of care to support you and your pregnancy. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now