Talk

Advanced search

Threatened early miscarraige - what to expect?

(10 Posts)
sallyandrews Tue 27-Sep-11 10:37:02

I hope I'm okay posting in here when my experience doesn't compare to what most have been through.

After a lot of confusion with HPTs (mix of positive and negative) I had a few decent lines with FMU. Then spotting started, leading to bleeding and cramping. I think I'm 5+3.

I'm waiting for the GP to get in touch with the EPU to see if they want to scan me. She said if on the day of the scan I test negative to cancel - is that correct? If it is a miscarriage is it too early for there to be risk of retained products?

I suppose I also want to know if there is any hope, but perhaps that is a silly question? I'm only getting through less than a pad a day and no clots, and the cramps are manageable (only taken one dose of paracetamol).

Sorry for rambling.

farfallarocks Tue 27-Sep-11 10:42:05

Poor you, it sucks doesn't it?

Same thing happened to me at exactly your stage, they did a blood test at the EPU and my HCG was so low they did not need to do a scan. I was told that at that stage it was too early for any retained product and that it would just be like a normal period. Like you I did not have a lot of bledding or pain (in a physical sense, I was a mess emotionally!)

Look after yourself and for what its worth at this early stage, my periods came back as normal straight away.

greenzebra Tue 27-Sep-11 10:46:44

I had a similar experience sally the gp I rung was very insensitive and didnt offer me anything said it was too early didnt even explain what to expect. I have just been filling out the questionaire for mumsnet to have this all changed.

I was 5 weeks exactly and I just had a very clotty preiod with quite severe cramping for two days. I was told if cramping got to much then to go to hospital other than that to take paracetaemol and let it pass.

Have you tested again? If today is the same pad wise then I would phone the gp again or even EPU and see if they will see you.

sorry Im not more help

TwinMummy30 Tue 27-Sep-11 10:53:32

Hi
Sorry to hear that.
I had bleeding between 5-6 weeks and it was a lot, probably around 5 pads of fresh bright blood but no cramps, no clots (sorry for TMI). when it started my trousers were wet and blood was going down my legs. went to A&E and waited there for 6 hours! to get a scan as they suspected miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. on the scan they showed me two 3mm long tiny dots and I was told it's twins!!! but I shouldn't get to excited as one may disapear. I was bleeding for another 2 weeks and then had spotting till I was 12 weeks!!! was praying to God every minute. My 13 weeks scan showed 2 babies and now they are 3.9 years old.

be strong and rest. best of luck [hugs]

sallyandrews Tue 27-Sep-11 18:59:22

Scan at EPU on Friday.

Tonight I feel awful, finding it hard to cope emotionally. Blood loss not too much but I don't have any pads left and can't go out. Using old flannels and just feel so appalling. Cramps are hard. I just feel so miserable and so alone.

TwinMummy30 Tue 27-Sep-11 19:18:37

[sending hugs]

farfallarocks Wed 28-Sep-11 10:35:56

oH sally I am so sorry, I know how you are feeling and I promise it does get better but don;t underestimate what you are feeling, it really is similar to a bereavement and you must treat yourself as such.

Have you tried doing another test? Is there someone with you?

sallyandrews Fri 30-Sep-11 17:49:57

After all your support I thought I'd update. Scan this morning confirmed complete miscarriage.

TwinMummy30 Sat 01-Oct-11 10:18:04

I am so so sorry sally sad

farfallarocks Mon 03-Oct-11 08:52:57

I am so sorry sally, look after yourself, give yourself time to grieve. You will have a baby in your arms before too long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now