Talk

Advanced search

Is this a missed miscarriage or is there a glimmer of hope?

(11 Posts)
clarkey47 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:00:49

My periods are very irregular and have been on the pill so my dates may be wrong but, LMP 6th july , making me 11+ weeks, i went for a scan thursday and they saw gestational sac of 7 weeks with normal yolk sac but no heartbeat, even using transvaginal scan. I have had 1 miniscule episode of brownish spotting (very miniscule), i would love to believe that may dates are way out, as they have been in previous pregnancies but i tested positive on 27th august which is already 4 weeks ago(and had sore boobs for 2 weeks before i tested,am i clutching at straws, i have to wait 10 days before they will rescan.Please be honest , i want to be realistic and am going mad trying to look at dates etc.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 24-Sep-11 12:31:20

So sorry you are having a difficult time - what did the consultant say when the scan was being done?

clarkey47 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:40:07

that i may have dates wrong and it is less than 7 weeks or that may be missed miscarriage, sonographer, dont have a consultant. Midwife said be patient and stay positive but prepare for worst, easier said than done. if i was less than 7 weeks surely i wouldnt have felt pregnant 6 weeks ago .

daenerysstormborn Sat 24-Sep-11 12:49:27

it's a bit off to leave you to wait for 10 days without knowing. could you ask for a blood test? if they check the hormone levels, then re-test a couple of days later that would give results sooner, ie if the levels are increasing, all is ok, if its decreasing, then obviously something has gone wrong.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 24-Sep-11 12:49:30

Really sorry, but I don't know what the answer is. What an horrendous position to be in. I cannot imagine having to "stay positive but be prepared for the worst".

Do you still feel pregnant now?

clarkey47 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:20:03

have had some cramps and a small amount of brown blood so i guess its a miscarriage!! I still feel pregnant, but im not sure how much is physical and how much is mental, i rung epu this morn and i still have to wait til tues.

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 14:30:50

Hi clarkey.
This has happend to me 4 times now..
It sound like a blighted ovum.
You will feel very pregnant unfortunately, but that means nothing.

There is a gestational sac, but no fetus actually developes. For me i had very painful breasts, morning sickness, extreme hunger....very strong pregnancy symptoms, but it didnt mean anything as right up until the day before i actually miscarried, i felt very pregnant.
Then it just stopped suddenly, then about 24-48 hours later i landed in hospital with the miscarriage.
Also had a very small brown bleed about 4 weeks into the pregnancy....this defo (for me ) was nothing to do with implantation, it was always a bad sign.

Its an awful awful situation and you have my sympathies, and a huge hug. I wouldnt wish it on any one.

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 14:32:48

Also just to add, without exception, my blood hormone levels rose, along with the strong symptoms...again, this meant nothing, it was what it was, and i never got my hopes up.

clarkey47 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:49:29

there is a yolk sac so i dont think its blighted ovum, so sorry to hear that you have gone through this 4 times gigglepin. I feel useless, and waiting til tuesday is going to be torture. what caused it? will i be able to conceive again? how long will i have to wait before trying? will it happen again? will i need d and c?

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 14:54:36

Hi, i have had a yolk sac twice, and it has been classed as a blighted ovum.

They dont know what causes this, but think its a chromosomal issue.
I went on to have my ds after i had my first, so there is absolutely no reason that you wont go on to have a healthy pregnancy, dont worry. They reassured me of this over and over too.

We began to try as soon as the bleeding settled down tbh.
They said that it is purely bad luck to have another, its usually a one off.
I didnt have a D&C for any of mine, but did need help to start things off as i decided to wait it out for one, knew at 7 weeks, but didnt mc tll i was 13 weeks, the ait was torturous. So i chose medical management for 3, its medication to speed things up. All over & dont with in about 24 hours.

They will give you your choices im sure.

clarkey47 Mon 26-Sep-11 15:01:23

thanks for reassurance, and for answering my questions. i know that they will have all the info at the epu, but it feels like a long wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now