Talk

Advanced search

What do they test the baby for after ERPC?

(12 Posts)
CuttlefishDramas Fri 23-Sep-11 15:43:40

I had an ERPC under GA on 9th Sept, I was told that I didn't need a follow up appointment, but if I had any concerns to contact GP/A&E etc.

I've now received a letter through the post telling me I have an appointment at the Maternity and Gynae Dept at my hospital on Weds.

This is my second miscarriage, and I'm now freaking out that they have bad news. I rang but the dept is now closed for the weekend. I had natural management with the first.

I was 8+3 this time. What could this appointment be for?

pebspop Fri 23-Sep-11 16:24:29

they don't usually do any tests until you have three miscarriages and they would get your consent before carrying out tests anyway. i am not sure why they would give you an appointment??

i imagine it would take longer than a couple of weeks to do tests anyway, i had to wait 12 weeks for my results.

try not to worry and ring them on monday

exexpat Fri 23-Sep-11 16:28:49

Unlikely, but if they analysed the tissue, they might have found signs that it was a molar or partial molar pregnancy (abnormal placenta/cells), which would involve blood tests and some follow up.

I am sure there are other possibilities too, but I am just aware of that one as I had a molar pregnancy many years ago - they often present as miscarriages between 6-12 weeks.

escapeartist Fri 23-Sep-11 16:56:23

I know where I am (not in the UK) the standard histology examination of products of conception (hate this expression!) looks at malignancies, so as exexpat said for molar/partially molar pregnancy. The results (here) take a week to 10 days.

I am pretty sure any other tests would require your consent.

Good luck with everything cuttlefish

eaglewings Fri 23-Sep-11 17:01:43

Where we are they will follow you up if you have had 2 mc and are over 40.

I was told no tests would be done on the baby, only blood tests on me and dh and then I'd have a scan

I'd give them a call to ask

CuttlefishDramas Fri 23-Sep-11 17:10:58

It's all such a blur to be honest. I remember signing for the ERPC, and I wouldn't have had any objections to having any tissue tests done on the baby, but I don't recall anyone speaking to me about that at all. No one took bloods from me or DP. They told me after the first that there would be no tests till 3 miscarriages. Paperwork says no follow up, just GP in 6 weeks/A&E if needed.

Going to try put it out of my mind till Monday. I just wanted to be prepared if you know what I mean so I am grateful for the suggestions.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

exexpat Fri 23-Sep-11 17:30:32

Good luck on Monday, then, and hope you manage to keep your mind off it over the weekend.

If it does turn out to be a molar pregnancy, it can seem a bit scary at first - I had no idea what one was until I went home and googled it - but for most people all it means is that you will need regular blood/urine tests for 6 months to a year, and you have to avoid TTC until you get the all-clear. But let's hope it's something much more minor.

CuttlefishDramas Fri 23-Sep-11 18:01:52

Thank you exexpat. I have been googling it blush. There was a heartbeat at 3 of the early scans (I was bleeding), but it could have been a partial molar pregnancy?

We already decided that we wouldn't try again for a long time.

I hope that everything turned out ok for you.

artifarti Fri 23-Sep-11 18:27:29

As exexpat, also came on to say that I was recalled earlier this year for a molar (complete in my case so never any sign of a baby) but it is pretty rare and for all I know they could test for other things too. Try not to worry (hard I know!) and best of luck for Monday.

CuttlefishDramas Tue 04-Oct-11 15:08:49

I asked them on the Monday what the appointment was for, and they didn't know, so I re-arranged the appointment for weeks later. Had a call today asking me to come in earlier, so I asked outright if they were going to tell me I had a partial mole, and the nurse confirmed on the phone. Going in to see the consultant tomorrow.

Thank you everyone. Going to search mumsnet for info on partial molars now so I know what to expect tomorrow.

thanks

eaglewings Tue 04-Oct-11 17:58:01

All the best for your apointment hope you get the answers you need and reassurance

jumpingtheshark Wed 05-Oct-11 13:41:52

Hi cuttlefish (I am artifarti with a namechange!) Sorry you are having to go through this; I know from experience it can be a difficult and scarey time. From my experience, there isn't much information on MN, although I started a thread back in January which I can find for you if it helps. The best resources on the web are the Charing X website (Google molar pregnancy and Charing X and you should find it) and www.molarpregnancy.co.uk, which is both informative and has a very supportive forum, should you feel the need.

I hope your appointment goes well and they give you the answers you need. If you've got any questions or want to chat to someone, come back and post or PM me, please do. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now