Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding and cramping at 14+5 - scan tomorrow, but if the worst does happen, what will actually happen?

(21 Posts)
LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 10:41:34

I am bleeding and cramping (slightly) at 14+5 - I have a scan tomorrow and am still obviously hoping for the best, but if things do go wrong, what will actually happen? Will I still have an ERPC? Or will I deliver the baby (presumably in hospital)? What will happen to the baby? Will they do a PM to see what went wrong? Will I be able to bury the baby (where? In the garden? In a churchyard?)? Thank you.

kat2504 Mon 19-Sep-11 11:21:37

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I really hope that it doesn't come to the worst tomorrow - often people have bleeding for no particular reason.

I don't know about how later losses are managed, I would expect you may still be able to have an ERPC but I am not sure. You have the choice about what happens to the baby, either the hospital can deal with it and they do a once a month cremation of all miscarried babies, sometimes with a service the parents can attend. Or you can ask to make your own arrangements, either with a crematorium or at home. But in that case they would not be able to send the baby for genetic testing.

I have everything crossed for a happy outcome for you. It's a good thing to be prepared for the worst but do try and think positive in the meantime.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 13:02:16

Thanks, Kat. Have actually found some really good info on the Miscarriage Association website. Am trying v hard to stay positive although the cramping (but not the bleeding) is getting worse so hoping my optimism is not ill-founded.

farfallarocks Mon 19-Sep-11 16:19:29

love thinking of you lots and really hope this is nothing to worry about

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 16:38:50

Thanks, farfalla. I saw you were having LPD issues on the conception thread. How are you now? I take it from the fact that you are on the MC board that things may not be good? I'm so very sorry. I can't remember if you've tried this already, but I am convinced that acupuncture (and maybe also vitamin B6) helped with my LPD. Much as I love the No Brooking conception gang, I am dreading having to cope with all that again if things don't work out now. I really, really hope you find a solution soon - I know there are no fun problems to have with TTC, but I found LPD v demoralising as it just seemed all that SWI was pointless as my LP was so short. I hope you are feeling ok and that things may still be looking hopeful? So sorry if you've had bad news sad.

YougreatPamplemousse Mon 19-Sep-11 16:41:07

Love - I had vbleeding and cramping in my last preganancy at 14 weeks, I had an emergency scan and all was well wit the baby but the placenta was low. DD2 is now 15mo and perfect although I did bleed until 18w when the placenta started to move.

I hope the outcome for you is a good one.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 16:42:36

Thanks, YGPM. These positive stories are so comforting - thank you.

barbie1 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:46:31

Love, I wish to give you some hope too. My last pregnancy resulted in emergency scans at 14' 18 and 24 weeks all with very, very bad cramping and bleeding. My 18 month old dd is now tucked up sleeping in bed.
I'm 19 weeks with this pregnancy and once again at 14 weeks I had an emergency dash to hospital because the cramping was so bad I couldn't move. Turns out I had a bad stomach ache and the bleeding was due to placenta previna, I really hope tomorrow you will get some positive news.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 16:56:53

Thanks, Barbie. I am so glad it all worked out for you before and is again. I am finding all this support so helpful and touching - thank you.

barbie1 Mon 19-Sep-11 17:02:06

I'm still a worrier, in fact I too have a scan booked tomorrow due to stomach pains again...
My first pregnancy ended in a mmc, they had a remembrance book on the hospital and a few weeks later invited me to the memorial garden with other parents who had lost babies. We are able to write our babies name in the book and leave a teddy. I really hope that is something you will not have to do and tomorrow you will get more reassurance. Please come back and let us know how you get on, will be thinking about you x

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 17:03:36

Thank you, Barbie - I hope tomorrow goes well for you too - please come back and update (if you'd like to!).

Helennn Mon 19-Sep-11 17:06:03

Unfortunately it didn't work out for me in a similar situation at 15 weeks (sorry, don't want to dash your hopes completely but I had a mid-wife almost convince me it would be fine and it wasn't - so I almost convinced myself it would be OK only to be very disappointed).

Just in case of the worst I would recommend taking a hot water bottle to help with the cramps and a spare pair of knickers just in case. These are things I wish I'd taken. Sincerely hope things work out for you.

farfallarocks Mon 19-Sep-11 17:06:45

love yes sadly looks like I am about to have 2nd early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy.
Got BFP on Friday, spotting over the weekend, now cramping and getting fainter BFPs and waiting for the inevitable to happen again.
I am convinced luteal phase/low progesterone is the cause as its happened at exactly the same point each time.
Am having accupuncture, that has lengthened LP from 10 to 12 days but have not tried B6. Have booked into see a consultant and will see if progesterone supplements may be an option.

I am 'no brooking' for you though, I am sure all will be well

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 17:20:09

Thanks, Helenn - I'll take those. So sorry for your loss.

Oh, Farfella, I am so sorry. It's so bloody unfair. I took 1000mg of B6 for about 4 months (I think) before BFP but I did discuss it with GP and acupuncturist first as high doses can have negative side effects. I hope the meeting with the consultant goes well. How are your progesterone levels generally? Mine were, weirdly, fine despite ludicrous short and variable (shortest 8, longest 13) LP. Are you on the short luteal phase thread (assuming it's still going)? I found them very helpful.

farfallarocks Mon 19-Sep-11 17:27:23

Mine were low, at 20 and I think its meant to be 30

Still managing to get preggers it just won't stick!!

Will look up the luteal phase thread and really thinking of you tonight.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 17:28:28

Thank you - and me you.

barbie1 Tue 20-Sep-11 13:34:27

Love, have you had your scan yet? Was thinking about you as I was having mine done. All good here, I really hope it's the same outcome for you x

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 20-Sep-11 17:06:00

Thanks so much for thinking of me! I also thought of you and someone else on another thread being scanned at the same time. So glad yours was ok. It was fine, the baby was kicking around! They couldn't tell why the bleeding had happened (it's stopped now) but did say the placenta was a little (but not very) low so could have been connected. There wasn't any blood in the uterus that they could see. Phew, and thanks for all the help and reassurance.

kat2504 Tue 20-Sep-11 17:07:19

So pleased that you have had a happy outcome. Hopefully the rest of your pregnancy will be uneventful from now on smile

Helennn Tue 20-Sep-11 18:27:05

Well done, that's lovely news smile. So good to have some good news.

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 20-Sep-11 18:29:00

Thanks, everyone. So relieved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now