Talk

Advanced search

How long did it take you to conceive again after a MC?

(17 Posts)
LouP19 Sun 18-Sep-11 14:26:36

I know this is probably a very popular question, but I would still be interested to hear other people's stories.

I miscarried in February after a 11 months of actively trying. It was my 'due date' last Wednesday and guess what? My period arrived! I can't tell you how difficult I found that to deal with - a big fat reminder that I still wasn't pregnant.

I've been tested, my husband's been tested, we're both ok. I'm 35 and he's 37, neither of us has had children before. I'm going back to the doctor next week for further advice because I sometimes I think it's never going to happen for us. I track my ovulation as best I can, but my periods can be irregular.

Any similar stories?!

kat2504 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:00:52

Ah that's shit getting your period on your due date. How awful for you.
My first pregnancy I conceived fairly quickly without any crazy trying. I miscarried at 10 weeks and it took 7 cycles after I got my periods back again before I got pregnant. Much of that was with ovulation monitoring and timed intercourse. I was also gutted not to be pregnant yet when my due date came around - I think you get it into your head that you'll be pregnant again by then because it would make the date easier to deal with.
Unfortunately that second pregnancy was a blighted ovum and I miscarried at 8 weeks. It took about 5-6 weeks to get periods back, and then it took me two menstrual cycles to conceive again, also using ovulation tests, and having a ridiculous amount of sex on the cycle when it worked! 10 weeks now and fingers crossed!!

So really it can take a long while or a little while, it's just luck and doesn't mean that it won't happen. Hopefully your doctor will have some advice about your irregular periods, but if you have been tested for hormonal problems already, it's probably not something that will interfere with you conceiving.

LIG1979 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:36:06

I got pregnant very quickly on 1st cycle even though it was a 80 or so day cycle. Then had a mc in april and since then I have been trying although I am only on my 3rd cycle - I really have been giving it my all - opks, checking cm and temping. It is rubbish isn't it?

lionmummy Sun 18-Sep-11 20:57:48

I had a mmc at 18 weeks and think conceived on what would have been due date so about 5 months on, having got periods back after about 7 weeks from mmc.
I am now 40 + 1 but have found it a hard going pregnancy as worried all the way that I would mc or something will be wrong, although stilll worried about this! I know accupuncture can be helpful in regulating cycles. good luck.

escapeartist Mon 19-Sep-11 17:22:46

It took me close to 16 months to conceive the first time round (mostly, I think for lack of knowing my body as I ovulated about 3 days later than I thought I did, plus tricky situation with DH working away).
After my first mc I was told to wait 2-3 months as I had a cyst that had to clear out (it was pretty big and could grow in pg). After that we got pg first time (I blame it on being on holiday... no cm checking, no opks, just enjoying my DH again). Unfortunately I mc again sad
Here's hoping ypu get your BFP soon - I am torn between not wanting to be pg again and being worried that it will take forever...
Congrats lionmummy and all the best for your birth!

ColdSancerre Tue 20-Sep-11 21:51:12

After first mc it took 2 years. After 2nd it took 6 months. Since 3rd we haven't been trying as been having tests and treatment at recurrent miscarriage clinic.

Much sympathy and many hugs, due dates are shit and getting period on it is very unfair.

SukieQ Tue 20-Sep-11 22:30:29

I had a mmc in April. Took three months off to rest/heal/recover. Tried in July, didn't work. Tried in August, got lucky. But early days will see if it sticks. Seemed relatively quick for me as for my daughter (born 2009) it took us well over a year. I had been on the pill for 13 years and think it took ages to come out of my system and for fertility to regulate. With the mmc I conceived on 3rd cycle after stopping nursing, which held off my period for the whole year.

LouP19 Wed 21-Sep-11 09:55:06

Thank you for everyone's messages. Like a lot of people I had just assumed I would be pregnant by now. Or if I'm honest when we got married 3 years ago I assumed we'd have a little one by the time I was 35. I've just got to the stage where I can't see it happening (which is probably not going to help things). And to make matters worse I've just checked my ovulation dates and they coincide with a visit from our inlaws. Couldn't be worse timing.

When I last fell pregnant I didn't even test my ovulation - we just had lots of sex during a 10 day period. Now I seem to have got obsessed with those test stick thingies. I get really fed up when people tell me to 'relax' because I don't think it's going to happen for us if we relax - I think we are a couple who have to work at it.

And so many milestones are passing. Next weekend it's our baby nephews christening and I was so desperate to be pregnant again for then - just to make it easier for me to deal with. And as supportive as my husband has been, he really doesn't get the whole 'milestone' thing. My next one now is to be pregnant by Christmas,.........

Arrrgggggghhhhhhh!! :-(

ColdSancerre Wed 21-Sep-11 10:00:27

You have to try to stop putting pressure on yourself by imposing arbitrary deadlines. Christmas will happen whether you're pregnant or not.

I know I sound harsh but after over 4 years of trying I'd be a basket case by now if I'd not stopped myself doing just what you're doing.

loveabab Thu 22-Sep-11 16:01:10

LouP19 I understand exactly what you mean about passing milestones. I got pregnant for the first time this year but lost our baby in April. In the weeks after I'd found out I was pregnant I had run through the whole year up to and beyond my due-date. I thought about my three-month mark, my friend's wedding when I would be six months along, my Mam's birthday, our anniversary, my own birthday when my baby would be due, Christmas, New Year etc etc and I pictured my bump or our baby at each stage. Now as each of these dates comes and goes and I've no bump I feel that extra pang of loss and sorrow. To be honest, even when I lost our baby I thought that by some of those special days I might have already become pregnant for the second time, but that hasn't happened. My due date is approaching and that'll have to be coped with too. Best-case scenario I'll be pregnant by then and will have something to be happy about on that date, but ultimately there'll be sadness at the baby we lost that we won't get to hold. My head and heart spin with it sometimes. I understand.

peedieworky Thu 22-Sep-11 22:14:02

Hi, really sorry to hear your situation. We had been trying for just under 2 years, fell pregnant and had MC. I waited till I had my period before trying again & finally attended an infertility clinic we'd been waiting forever and a day for. They told me I'd need some investigations so I guess I kind of relaxed (?!) thinking something was being done. ^ months after MC I was pregnant again and - despite a horrid bleed & managing to fall down a flight of stairs - DS was born in May, a year after I first fell pregnant. Hope things work out for you.

peedieworky Thu 22-Sep-11 22:14:30

Typo - should say 6 months after MC

sunnyday123 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:27:09

took 7 months to conceive initially - miscarried 11 weeks. Took 13 months to get pregnant again.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 22-Sep-11 22:30:47

First MMC in October 2004, was pregnant again by Feb 2005, then MMC in Jan 2008, pregnant again by May 2008. So I think about 4 months between mmc and being pregnant again, both times.

With the benefit of hindsight, I was very lucky. But soon enough you will have a DC, fear not.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 22-Sep-11 22:38:41

BTW, this whole baby lark is such hard work. Don't mean at all to gloat, but i am so glad I now have 2 DC and it is behind me.

I was very lucky to get pregnant so quickly, but after 2 MMC, I felt just the same and wondered if I was ever going to have the family I had dreamt of.

Good luck to all of you, I am so glad that this particular boat is in the past. Its very very hard.

PootlePosyPerkin Thu 22-Sep-11 22:50:07

After 9 years of no contraception (I have quite bad polycystic ovaries & was told after the birth of DC2 that it would be unlikely I'd conceive again naturally), I got pregnant and had a MMC in June 2010. Having considered that pregnancy somewhat of a miracle, I assumed that would be it for me baby-wise - as if my body had given me one more chance & I'd lost it. DC3 was conceived on 1st December 2010 (so 6 months after MMC) and my beautiful DD is now 6 weeks old. All the best, I know it's so very hard but the best advice seems to be to relax. Both times I conceived (since being told I couldn't) I wasn't actually trying as such, as I believed there to be no point & therefore was probably quite relaxed.

CourgetteMuffin Fri 30-Sep-11 20:18:23

This is my first post. Have dd age2 then had 2 mcs, one at 12wks, one at 8. Nearly a year of not conceiving now when previously that wasn't a problem. As I'm 42 am now nervous of actually getting pregnant and wondering if mother nature is trying to tell me something. Do I just let it drift away or do we make a decision to stop going through the turmoil every month? I know there's no right answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now