Talk

Advanced search

Am 8wks + 3 & have begun v light bleed what to do

(22 Posts)
Bunsouttheoven Fri 16-Sep-11 19:55:37

I am 8wks + 3 days & have noticed some very light bleeding & have maybe some period pains starting.

Do I need to see someone or do I just wait & see?

Bunsouttheoven Fri 16-Sep-11 21:14:31

No one?

timetosmile Fri 16-Sep-11 21:22:22

oooh, really sorry - couldn't leave this unanswered.

Firstly (good news) it's very common to have an implantation bleed about this time..slight bleeding caused by the new baby snuggling into the lining of your womb to effectively 'make' the placenta. Also some women have light bleeding off and on throughout an otherwise perfectly normal pregnancy, and baby pops out just fine.

Secondly (rare but serious) any pain as-bad-as-or-worse-than period pain in early pregnancy, with or without bleeding (often with) which doesn't settle down or worsens needs to be assessed for an ectopic pregnancy as a matter of urgency.

If you are well in yourself and only bleeding v lightly, then perhaps you could just wait and see how you go this evening...anything more than moderate pain and you need to see a doctor..don't be fobbed off!

Phone nhs direct, or google nhs choices for more info.

The worst thing is the uncertainty, I know, and I don't want to scare you witless, but do seek proper medical advice if you are worried things aren't improving

Besom Fri 16-Sep-11 21:22:44

Well light bleeding and slight pains could be something, could be nothing. (I bled throughout my first healthy pregnancy and have also had subsequent m/c's) But you do need to phone someone in the morning I would say. Is there an early pregnancy clinic near you? If not, the midwives. You should go in for a scan. Although it's the weekend so you won't realistically get to go in until next week.

Good luck, hope it's nothing. X

Bunsouttheoven Fri 16-Sep-11 21:57:08

Thanks timetosmile & besom I will sit tight & see what tomorrow brings.

essexmumma Fri 16-Sep-11 22:01:46

I wanted to reply. I am now 10 weeks pregnant with DC2 and had a light bleed at 6 weeks too. I had an early scan which showed everything was fine. I just wanted to reassure you it is so common and i am sure you will be ok. I saw a GP and got a scan referral - I would suggest you do that as it will reassure you. Good luck x

Besom Fri 16-Sep-11 22:02:28

Have a bit of a virtual hug buns. It's a worry until you know everythings ok for sure X

banana87 Sat 17-Sep-11 11:17:30

How are things today?

FWIW I had light bleeding from 7-15 weeks with DD and she was fine smile

I had light bleeding this time from 16-20 weeks and so far so good smile

Bunsouttheoven Sat 17-Sep-11 11:41:33

No bleeding but low back ache so still feeling a bit pessimistic.

Just feel emotionally scrambled, when I found out I was pregnant i felt quite negative about it but have gradually come round to the idea. Now I don't know what to feel. confused

timetosmile Sat 17-Sep-11 22:24:12

Hope it all turns out OK.
Besom is right..contact your GP on Monday morning(!) and explain the situation, they should be able to arrange an early scan for you next week. At 8+ weeks, it will be clear whether the pregnancy is growing in the womb or not, ot if there are any other problems..let us know how you get on x

musicalmrs Sun 18-Sep-11 13:08:15

Hi Buns. What's happened - have you contacted a GP or something?

I had light bleeding last Wednesday. Went to A&E (on advice from my doctor), and asides from doing blood/urine tests they did nothing. Wasn't too impressed.

Yesterday I had moderate bleeding. At A&E I asked to see someone for a scan, and for my blood results. Blood showed that hCG had risen since the Wednesday bleed, and the gynae I went to see did some internal exams on me (called it "minimal bleeding", though it certainly doesn't feel like that to me!), said my cervix was still closed (good sign), although obviously that doesn't rule out a miscarriage or ectopic. She's booked me in for a scan either Monday or Tuesday (depends on cancellations), and I'll find out more then. I was told however that I should have been given a scan after my first trip to A&E.

Don't let them fob you off - make sure you get checked out. I'm also not sure how to feel - mainly upset and worried, though trying to remain positive. It is incredibly common though, and there are lots of potential causes - alongside the fact that women have "mystery" bleeds when pregnant all the time! But whatever it is, you need to get it checked out - for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

Bunsouttheoven Sun 18-Sep-11 14:56:53

Sorry to hear you have been having problems too Music

I've not done anything yet, still no more bleeding but still feel a bit achey. Just not sure what to think. I know lots of people have bleeds & everything turned out fine.

I suppose because pregnancy feels so surreal it seems like I'd be making a fuss & I have two dcs to look after so don't want to go to a & e.

If I have anymore bleeding I might ring my gp & see if maybe he can arrange an early scan. I just don't really want to get to the 12 wk scan & find it all went wrong wks ago. I'd just like to know.

musicalmrs Sun 18-Sep-11 15:22:20

That's precisely how I felt, Buns. I only went to A&E as that's what my doctor advised... and then went again because it got a lot worse and the previous A&E doc said to return if that was the case.

It felt like I was making a fuss too, but you're really not. If you're worried it's definitely worth ringing your GP - as you say, you don't want to get to 12 weeks, hopeful, and for something to be wrong. That was one of the main reasons I wanted a scan.

I'm achey, some abdominal pain, and bleeding on and off now - trying to remain realistic, but yet positive ish. It's the not knowing that drives you mad though...

Bunsouttheoven Thu 22-Sep-11 13:57:44

Will be having an early scan on Monday to check if everything is ok. Didn't ask for it but mentioned the spotting in passing & got a call out the blue today for the early scan.

Feeling nervous now.

PieMistress Mon 26-Sep-11 13:07:00

Thinking of you today buns, hope all is okay x

Bunsouttheoven Mon 26-Sep-11 13:48:04

Hello pie

Just got back from EPU all was fine. I have a little wriggly embryo in mesmile

They can't see any reason for the bleeding so have put it down to implantation.

Will have my next scan in a few weeks.

Crikey life's a roller coaster. grin

PieMistress Mon 26-Sep-11 14:46:29

That's fantastic news buns here's hoping the rest of the pregnancy is smooth sailing !xx

Bunsouttheoven Mon 26-Sep-11 21:18:19

thanks pie

timetosmile Tue 27-Sep-11 22:12:29

Just catching up...brilliant news, hope it goes well for the next 7 months....and beyond... xx

Bunsouttheoven Wed 28-Sep-11 12:44:58

Thank you timesmile

bugsylugs Wed 28-Sep-11 13:10:35

very pleased for you buns

Bunsouttheoven Fri 30-Sep-11 20:03:21

Thank you bugsy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now