Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent miscarriers - Can I ask what contraceptives you use?

(3 Posts)
neolara Tue 06-Sep-11 18:34:02

Firstly, can I just say that I don't wish to upset anyone in the mc topic. I am aware that most people will be here because they are actively trying to conceive and because sadly things have gone wrong. Contraception is probably the last thing on your mind. However, I suspect this area is also the best way to get good advice.

I have had 4 mc, but am also lucky enough to have 3 dcs and I feel that my family is complete. Obviously I now need to use contraceptives. However, when my GP prescribed a certain pill to me she told me it worked by ensuring that any fertilised embryos did not implant properly. I found I couldn't bring myself to use it and I know this is because of my experience of mc. We have subsequently used condoms which TBH has not been great.

I was just wondering if others who have been in my position feel similarly towards contraceptives. If they don't, why not? And if they do, what do they use? I know I should probably go and talk to the nurse about it, but I think they'll probably think I'm being ridiculous and wasting their time. 000000

kat2504 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:20:50

I'm not in a similar position but if you are talking about the mini-pill, or Progesterone only Pill, you haven't been given the full information.
The main way that it works is by creating a cervical mucus block so that the sperm can't get to the egg. In the unlikely event that one of them does make it, then yes, the lining of the uterus will not be thick enough for it to implant. But that isn't the main way it works. The newer POPs such as cerazette also prevent ovulation too.

If you are sure that your family is complete why not go for a longer acting method such as a mirena coil? That should last you for several years.
I think perhaps you should visit a family planning clinic where they will have the time and inclination to give you more complete information on different methods of contraception rather than just a one line explanation. You could also google some info, I think Cerazette even has a web page.

The nurse should not think you are ridiculous. It is their job to give people the information they need to make informed decisions.

You could always send your OH for the snip........

AndTheWinnerIs Thu 15-Sep-11 00:33:49

I had the mirena coil put in under general anesthetic just after an erpc following my 5th mc.
It was my only option really as I cannot take the pill due to two clotting disorders. Using condoms was not really an option for us either.
I honestly don't know whether we have reached the end of the road just yet but the coil has given us thinking time without the risk of an accidental pregnancy.
I would second Kats' post, visit a family planning clinic or see your gp for advise about what will be the best method for you.
No- one will think you are being ridiculous, just very sensible smile
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now