Talk

Advanced search

What is the recovery time like after a D & C? :-(

(9 Posts)
WelliesAndABrolly Sat 27-Aug-11 17:18:10

My lovely SIL found out at her 12 week scan that their baby had died at 9 weeks. Obviously she and db are devastated. She has decided to have a D & C but wants to know what the recovery time is like, physically rather than mentally I think. Could anyone offer their experience? Thanks.

Thebonkers Sat 27-Aug-11 17:21:00

I felt v.fragile and sleepy from the sedative the day I had it (lunchtime)and a little weak the next day but fine - but my DH wasn't able to take that day off so I managed with my 3yo and was fine -a although a few dvd's were played. Emotionally a little longer. Worst was the 3 days before the D&C when I knew the baby had died but I hadn't /wasn't actively miscarrying.

Thebonkers Sat 27-Aug-11 17:21:21

sorry meant to say sad to your SIL

WelliesAndABrolly Sat 27-Aug-11 17:26:16

Thanks Bonkers, I will tell her what you have said. Sorry to hear of your loss. sad

Thebonkers Sat 27-Aug-11 17:29:03

If it helps - it was 5 years ago now and it doesn't really bother me at all put it down to one of life's experiences! and we didn't go on to have any more children and I'm not traumatised....smile

So time will heal...

WelliesAndABrolly Sat 27-Aug-11 17:31:32

smile yes it is very raw for them both at the mo but then old phrase 'time is a great healer' isn't used so much for nothing.

banana87 Sat 27-Aug-11 19:52:29

sad Sorry for your SIL's loss. Recovery time physically is about 12-24 hours.

kat2504 Sun 28-Aug-11 08:31:53

Immediate physical effects of the operation - about a day or two.
Bleeding and period like cramps - about 6 days in my case, including one very bad day in the middle of that.
Time off work - I'd reckon on at least a week, probably two as the emotional recovery does take some time.

peedieworky Thu 01-Sep-11 22:32:47

Really sorry to hear about your SIL. I felt fine physically straight away, which almost made things worse. Mild bleeding and cramping - nothing major. I took two weeks off work in all I think - maybe 10 days after D&C? Just needed the head space. Also important (I know you said physically but..) is to recognise how common it is! When I had MC I felt like a total freak/failure. My DS was born almost 1 year to the day after MC and discussions with other Mums showed me that MC is so common. Reassured me to know so many other women had gone through it but wished I had realised that at the time sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now