Talk

Advanced search

Early miscarriage at 5 weeks? Confused, please help

(6 Posts)
Benjy Thu 25-Aug-11 11:45:08

Hi

I think I'm about 5 weeks pg. I tested a couple of days ago on the day my period was due and had a very faint line. I have 2 DC and had been feeling the same as I felt with them in early pregnancy which led me to test.

Last two days though I've had a lot of cramping and yesterday some bright red spotting; today some brown spotting. Re-did pg test and it is now negative.

I suppose this is the start of a miscarriage though never having been through this before I have no idea what is going on. Do they normally start slowly with spotting?

I'm 39 btw and never have spotted before a period before - always starts properly, no start/stopping, which also makes me think the faint positive pg test was right.

I just wish it would get properly underway so I can get it over with. Did it happen like this with anyone else?

Happened to me almost exactly the same, I think (from what I can remember anyway). I seem to remember it turned into a slightly-heavier-than-normal-period bleed, then stopped. It wasn't painful, or anything.

kat2504 Thu 25-Aug-11 12:03:53

Sometimes spotting is the start of a mc, sometimes it is nothing to worry about and some people who miscarry don't have spotting beforehand. If you have a negative test you can be pretty sure that it is over.
A faint positive and then getting your period a bit late is unfortunately very common, if you google chemical pregnancy you can find out a bit more. Basically your egg was fertilised but it failed to implant properly and develop any further. This happens to many women without them even being aware of it, they just think it is their usual monthly period.

If you don't get your period as usual in the next week, retest to make sure you aren't pregnant after all and see a doctor to request a scan.

Sorry this is happening to you, it is very disappointing after you have had a positive result. The slightly better news is that after a CP/very early MC, your body should get back to normal quickly and you can try again straight away if you want to.

Benjy Thu 25-Aug-11 12:12:11

Thanks. Have spoken to my GP who wants me to go to A&E for a scan. Is this really necessary? I have a 2 and 3 year old and no-one to leave them with and would have to take them with me (DH 2 hours away). Would there even be much to see if the egg had failed to implant properly?

kat2504 Thu 25-Aug-11 12:30:46

I think your GP probably wants to rule out the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy. Although it is highly unlikely to be the case, it would be very serious if it is, so I would do as he says and get it checked out. At least then that will be something you don't have to worry about. They will be able to make sure that there is no pregnancy in your tubes.

Matronalia Thu 25-Aug-11 13:41:12

I miscarried around at 5 weeks, two months ago. My pregnancy symptoms disappeared one morning, then I had some cramping and I started to spot. It took three days to start bleeding properly and it was like a heavy period.
My next period took 6 weeks to come.

I went to the EPU at my local hospital where they did an internal scan. They couldnt see anything but were checking for ectopic pregnancy/anything abnormal. I also had blood taken three days apart to check my levels of HcG were falling. In my case I had some backache/shoulder pain so it was considered to be more urgent though it turned out there was nothing wrong there-other than no baby any more.

Just take it easy on yourself for a few days, its not very nice physically and I found it quite emotional, but 8 weeks on I am finding it easier to think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now