Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a prescription for 75mg Aspirin?

(15 Posts)
gracebf Thu 11-Aug-11 18:07:18

I may be pregnant after having 3 mmc in a row. I am seeing a consultant and still waiting for results of initial tests to come back. He advised me to take aspirin if I got pregnant in the meantime, but when I went to get some today, the pharmacist told me I needed a prescription.

The problem is that I dont want to test now (am due af around now) incase af comes late because of the emotional trauma, after being pregnant so many times with no outcome. Would rather just ignore for a while. So was going to just start taking aspirin in the meantime. However, I am going on holiday on Saturday so dont have the luxury of waiting till monday to see a doctor.

Its reallly annoying that cant just get it quietly and start taking it while I wait and see what happens, just in case.

Is the pharmacist right or has anyone bought over the counter?

jellybeans Thu 11-Aug-11 18:11:29

I bought over the counter in Asda but it was about 3 years ago. Perhaps it was because he/she knew you were pregnant (if you told them that is) and wanted to cover himself? I took aspirin from bfp till 36 weeks in the same dose.

gracebf Thu 11-Aug-11 18:14:07

Thanks, I did not tell them why I wanted it initally. They said they cant sell those kind of doses anymore since laws changed. But I know this pharmacist to be quite awkward which is why I want to check.

DaisySteiner Thu 11-Aug-11 18:35:41

No, you don't need a prescription for it. Buy it from somewhere else or annoy him by asking for 'normal' strength aspirin and cut it up wink

milkyways Thu 11-Aug-11 18:44:02

No you don't. I was given a prescription by my GP and went and asked the pharmacist if it was the same as the Boots own brand and he said it was, so I've been taking Boots own brand aspirin for 5 months now. Low dose aspirin is just on the shelves - you can buy it without talking to a pharmacist, as my Dad takes it for heart problems aswell. It's strange your pharmacist didn't give you any, as aspirin for headaches is about 300mgs per tablet, and you can buy that off the shelves too.

Good luck. I've had 4 consecutive mc's before this pregnancy and am on low dose aspirin and high dose folic acid. I also had a vitamin D deficiency which I was treated for, and now I'm nearly 19 weeks pregnant. Hope things work out for you too.

meditrina Thu 11-Aug-11 18:48:28

I thought it was readily available OTC (it wasn't that long ago when I bought some by mistake when I wanted the headache strength).

Try large anonymous branch of Boots?

mumatron Thu 11-Aug-11 18:51:13

I bought mine in Tesco and Asda.

No way you need a prescription for it.

Good luck this time around.

freelancegirl Thu 11-Aug-11 19:29:52

I am taking it for recurrent miscarriage too. It's definitely available at Boots. On the shelves not even behind the counter. The only thing I have found for it is they only let you buy two packs at a time, which is fine. Good luck with everything!

gracebf Thu 11-Aug-11 19:49:55

Thats what I thought. Thanks I will buy some in Boots tomorrow.
milkyways I have been folllowing your story on the other thread and its great that you are still pregnant.

I am going to ask doctor for high dose folic acid if I get a week or so further. I also have had a Vit D deficiency and was advised by doctors last time I was pregnant to stop taking it.

Since discovered it has been known to help so will keep taking it. What dose do you take?

Thanks for all your help. I dont want to involve doctors at this stage as just makes it more real. I am going to try the 'ignorance is bliss' attitude this time and just pretend everything is normal until scan at 8 weeks. That is unless af appears late!

freelancegirl Thu 11-Aug-11 20:42:07

Take Pregnacare Plus Omega 3, the aspirin and also an extra 25mcg of Vitamin D on top. That's on top of the Vit D that's in the Pregnacare. You can get it in Boots, it is in a silver box with red writing on it. I had a deficiency too, it's common with thyroid conditions (not sure if you have that too but am sure you will have been checked).

You might want to ask your doc about Progesterone supplements just in case. I am actually pregnant again too but it's not looking great - slow growth on the sac. But I have also been diagnosed with very high NK cells so am on steroids as well as all the above. But the above are all meant to be very good and are not harmful so well worth taking.

gracebf Thu 11-Aug-11 21:38:03

Thanks freelancegirl. I was going to pick up the Pregnacare Plus with the aspirin tomorrow.

I was on 50mcg of Vit D when my Vit D levels were low but have cut down to 25mcg at the moment as my levels are up, so wil carry on taking that.

I asked the consultant about progesterone but he said that he ddint think it was worth it as it just maintained a failing pregnancy that will fail as soon as you stop the progesterone. But I was going to ask my doctor if I could have it anyway. No harm chucking everything at it in my opinion.

My GP is great and is going to push for me to be referred for NK cell testing once I have gone down the preliminary test route.

Good luck and I hope it works out..all very stressful this baby making business!

milkyways Thu 11-Aug-11 21:49:46

Hi gracebf I second what freelance has said. I am taking the Boots 25ug vitamin D in the silver box too. Infact, Vitamin D is the only supplement that the NHS advise you should take continually throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. I think they advise 10ug a day, but there is no harm in taking higher amounts, as it is stored in fat cells until needed. It is also a good idea to get your levels checked once again when you feel up to it to make sure they are sufficient.

Re the high dose folic acid. Folic acid increases circulation in the uterus, which is really important in early pregnancy for the release of hormones from the ovaries. It is especially important in women who may suffer from clotting problems.

I can understand not wanting the doctors involved so early, but you have had 3 mcs, so you are entitled to extra care, as you are automatically classed as intermediate - high risk. Make good use of the care you are entitled to, and ask for extra scans or about other things like Progesterone (as freelance has mentioned).

I hope you have a good holiday, and that everything works out better this time. Try to keep positive. Good luck smile

freelancegirl Thu 11-Aug-11 22:03:14

Yes I have a feeling the Progesterone is just prolonging things for me this time too Grace. Glad you have a good GP, it makes all the difference. Let me know if you need any advice about the NK cells thing. We have a thread about it on Conception and also do join myself and Milky the Freak Out room there too if you're ready! Mind you, I am probably about to drop off it myself... Yes indeed the whole baby making business is quite stressful - although some people just get knocked up and have a baby and it's as simple as that. Not for us though! Sigh...

Didn't know that about folic acid Milky. Good advice! I have been taking it for months before getting pregnant anyway but it is good to know. I always thought it was just about the spina bifida thing.

gracebf Fri 12-Aug-11 09:29:20

Tried to ring consultant this am to find out if results are back for clotting disorders. Unfortunately they arent.

I also cant get appt at GP today and as off on holiday tomorrwo, I am going to switch off. I will take the Vit D, Aspirin and Pregnancre Plus but think I will leave the progesterone this time and see what happens. I might just get normal folic acid and take it on top of the pregnancare.

Thanks for all your help. I have not told DH yet and may not until we get back. It makes it too real and then I start to worry. I would rather just swicth off until 6 week scan. Not sure how I will get away without drinking though and may have trouble sleeping as usually rely on wine to get to sleep as we are camping!

I will join you on the other threads if I am still pregnant in a few weeks. Normally my pregnancies dont miscarry on thier own, but no proper development is shown by 8 weeks and I have to have an erpc about 10 weeks. So in for the long haul to find out whether working or not.

Good luck to both of you and freelancegirl I hope things are ok whichever way it goes. Thanks again.

freelancegirl Fri 12-Aug-11 13:51:19

Gosh you haven't told DH yet Grace? Poor you going through this on your own. Yes the not drinking thing is unfortunate. I am avoiding arranging any real social things at the moment in this limbo. Wine and sleeping in tents definitely need to go together! Have a great holiday and do join us on the other threads soon. If I drop off the Freak Out thread with this pregnancy possibly failing I imagine I will turn up somewhere on a TTC after MC thread or similar. Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now