Talk

Advanced search

Freaking myself out yet again

(5 Posts)
notnowImreading Sun 24-Jul-11 22:40:50

I miscarried at 6 weeks about 8 weeks ago. I was on holiday at the time and didn't go to the EPU as I was told by my GP that it was a bit late by the time I got back, so I've never had a scan. I've read quite a few of the posts on this forum and they seem to be full of initials that I don't understand (the one that starts with E that you have at the early pregnancy unit, for example). I don't know whether I've missed something that I should have done before.

Anyway, the miscarriage seemed to finish quite naturally after a week or so and I've had a period since then at the normal time. I've done an ovulation test this month and that seemed to be okay, on my normal day etc. We did lots of shagging during the key time period and I'm hoping hoping hoping that I might have conceived, but yesterday I was doing the shopping at Tesco and as I was putting my trolley away I caught it on something and banged myself hard right across the abdomen. Today, I'm getting twinges and feel a bit tender in the tummy. If I am pregnant, it can only be by a week or so; if I'm not, it's no big deal. The thing that's freaking me out is that there's nothing I can do to find out if I've caused any damage. I know that if I find I'm pregnant again I'll be worrying and worrying because I've read lots of posts about people whose pregnancies have finished long before there's any sign of trouble.

What can I do? Do I just need to chill the fuck out, or should I see a doctor?

pseudonomic Sun 24-Jul-11 22:49:54

EPU - is early pregnancy unit. smile

I'm sorry you had a miscarriage. IF you are pregnant at the minute it's unlikely that any bang to the stomach would have any effect. I fell twenty feet off a ladder onto a concrete floor twice when pregnant with DD (before I knew I was pregnant) and all was well.

You are bound to be worried. First of all do a pregnancy test, and IF it's positive, then ask for an early scan because of your previous miscarriage.

Good luck smile

notnowImreading Sun 24-Jul-11 22:51:34

So, calm down then? Thank you! That's good to hear.

pseudonomic Sun 24-Jul-11 22:56:44

Yes, being calm is generally helpful in either a pregnant OR unpregnant state. There's bugger all you can do anyway. Early miscarriages are generally because there is something wrong with the embryo. You can't predict, avoid or treat it. It's tough I know but as long as you aren't actually taking class A drugs or skydiving daily there's nothing you can do to influence the outcome smile

Catsycat Mon 25-Jul-11 09:30:59

Hi notnow - the other "E" acronym you might have seen is ERPC - this is the operation that some people have to remove the mc pregnancy.

I agree with pseudonomic - the baby is really well protected, and so small in the early stages that a knock with a trolley is unlikely to do anything at all. I moved house when a few weeks pg with DD1 (without knowing I was pg) - we did it ourselves with no removal men, so you can imagine I was hauling heavy stuff all over the place, bumping into things, generally stressing and panicking like a madwoman, all to no ill effect! With DD2, I fell downstairs at one point, and everything was fine even then. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now