Talk

Advanced search

FACTOR V LEIDEN/MMC

(4 Posts)
Kitesurfgirl Thu 14-Jul-11 11:11:41

Just wondered if anyone on here has any advice to give me on dealing with Factor V Leiden in pregnancy?
I've just had a mmc at 16 weeks (first pregnancy)...the doctors knew I had factor V but I was literally one day away from seeing the consultant when we found out the baby had died.
It was only 6 weeks ago, so I'm just back facing the world again. My GP has said he will send me for consultation early before we even get pregnant, but I'm so worried that having factor V will stop me ever having a baby? :S
Any positive stories out there?

batteryhen Fri 15-Jul-11 09:08:59

Hello smile firstly - so sorry to hear about your loss, how terrible for you sad

I too have factor v. My consultant said if I have hetrozygos (which I do) I shouldn't need to inject but he would prescribe me clexane anyway. I was injecting but lost the baby in a MMC at 12 weeks. We are still waiting for tissue samples to come back to tell us what went wrong. If it was that I was not on a high enough dose of clexane I will be put on higher next time. I think though that plenty of women do go on to have healthy babies with factor v - and I am sure someone will be along soon to tell us of their success stories x

Did you have any tests done on your baby (sorry) to see if clotting was a factor?

Ladybee Fri 15-Jul-11 11:53:00

Hi kitesurfgirl
I discovered that I have Factor V Leiden after suffering 2 miscarriages in a row, I then went on to get pregnant and took aspirin & injected clexane but unfortunately also lost that pregnancy. It was a missed miscarriage so we weren't able to test to see what caused that loss, it could have been clotting, equally it could have been chromosomal or something else. HOWEVER - I have also had a child previously - before I was diagnosed with the clotting factor, before I had any treatment at all. I hold on tight to this knowledge, that increased risks are NOT a life sentence, they're just increased risks. The ladies who started the recurrent buns/testing testing MC thread have gone on to have babies, many of them had clotting risks and the treatment worked.
It can and does work.
I'm sorry for your loss, it must have been devastating to get to 16 weeks and think you were past the 'risky' time. I expect you had a lot of 'untelling' to do, which must have been very painful. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Kitesurfgirl Wed 20-Jul-11 22:22:31

thanks to both of you for sharing your stories xx so sorry for your losses too
batteryhen, we are still waiting for the results...I had to go back to work, so just had to emotionally shut off or else I don't think I'd have got through the day (I'm a primary school teacher), but now I've broken up, I'm going to get right on to the hospital.
ladybee i'm holding tight to that knowledge..as you say..increasing risk, but doesn't mean we can't...I had a lot of untelling, that was definitely a hard thing..that and the fact that I put nearly a stone on in weight and still have it to shift. I thought it would just drop off..but I guess being depressed for me meant eating! So still feeling very much 'baby' fat.
Will keep you informed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now