Talk

Advanced search

ERPC booked for Friday but heavy bleeding and cramping now - what to do?

(16 Posts)
babysaurus Wed 13-Jul-11 17:22:55

As the title says really. I had a MMC spotted at the 12 week scan last Monday and, after much fighting, am having the ERPC (they were adamant I had to have 'medical managment') on Friday morning. However, while I have been bleeding on and off since last Wednesday, things seem to have speeded up. I also now have nasty cramping. Is this a sign that things are kicking off themselves? I am concerned re getting to the ward on Friday and being told they won't do it as things are happening on their own. (I had re scan yesterday and it was all still there, despite me thinking I had surely already lost the bulk of it due to all the blood.)
i would call the ward myself but I can't get through (the nurse did warn this may be the case)
Thanks

Moodswings Wed 13-Jul-11 17:33:57

You need to go to the hospital asap. You may still need to have the ERPC. Happened to me and I was inches away from having a blood transfusion. Sorry that this has happened to you.

SleepyFergus Wed 13-Jul-11 17:37:56

Firstly, sorry to hear about your MMC, gutting to find out about at your 12 week scan too. Hope you are coping okay

I had a MMC at 10 weeks (baby stopped at 7.5 weeks). I was scanned and booked in for D&C but started bleeding on my own. I started cramping, and then experienced contractions as my body forced out the remains (sorry if this is a bit TMI). It was pretty horrid and painful but cathartic in an odd way. I was rescanned to check before the planned d&c tone told everything had gone on it's own so op not needed. Personally I preferred it happening that way but there is a danger that some matter is left behind and you end up having the op anyway.

It's your choice though, don't let them force you to make a decision you're not happy with.

Good luck, I hope it isn't too traumatic and that you are back on re road to pregnancy again soon.

SleepyFergus Wed 13-Jul-11 17:39:13

tone = told

babysaurus Wed 13-Jul-11 17:55:21

thanks both.
am having awful pains at the moment - not too heavy with the bleeding but the cramping has had me gasping and crying. it comes in waves (am typing this on phone in the loo.)
its SO shit!

SleepyFergus Wed 13-Jul-11 18:14:40

Sounds like you're in the midst of it tbh. The cramps come in waves and are not like anything I'd experienced before (until I had my DD!)

Hope you're okay. Nurofen and hot water bottle when its all over. I totally sympathise with what you're going through. Know hugs are not very MN but sod it. Have a cyber hug from me.

philbee Wed 13-Jul-11 19:23:37

Sorry to hear you're going through this. It happened to me last week, i knew i'd had a mmc, we decided over the weekend to go for the ERPC but then it started on its own and when i called the EPAU on Monday they said to see how it went at home.

If you are worried or in too much pain, or bleeding too much, go to a&e. Bleeding too much is usually having to change soaked pads more than 4 times an hour. Take some strong painkillers, you can get paracetamol and codeine over the counter i think.

I ended up bleeding a lot and had to go to a&e twice, but it just righted itself and i didn't need intervention, although they kept me in two nights to keep an eye on me.

I hope you are ok. I found it pretty scary at times but, like sleepy, it was quite cathartic in a way. You could also call your out of hours GP, or NHS Direct if you're not sure about a&e, they were able to give me more guidance about what was happening and what was too much blood loss. And you should get scanned even if you feel it's happened to check everything is ok.

Catsycat Wed 13-Jul-11 19:52:58

Oh babysaurus I just found your thread. How are you today? Like you say, it is utterly shit. Take care, and come and talk if you need to x

Moodswings Thu 14-Jul-11 19:23:54

Hi OP, just wondering how you are today

babysaurus Thu 14-Jul-11 19:39:40

Hi all, thanks for the concern. Shortly after the last message I wrote, I started to bleed VERY heavily - scarily so - and we ended up calling 999 as I started to black out. I got wheeled in, started to heammorage (know thats spelt wrong but please let me off!) but it eventually started to slow down. Apparently there were clots in my womb causing this. About 1am got transferred to a gynea ward and they gave me an oxytosin drip to contract my womb. I also had a saline drip in (went through three bags) and had blood tests to see if I needed a transfusion.
Came home, well to my mums as our house is currently a building site, about an hour ago and now in bed exhausted. Weirdly though, even though its awful the staff were so fabulous and the fact that the MMC is now over I can look forward rather than back.

SleepyFergus Thu 14-Jul-11 20:53:55

Oh you poor thing, hope you are starting to feel better and be able to start to look forward.

babysaurus Fri 15-Jul-11 22:08:17

Thanks. Am amazed at how tired I am. I suspect I may feel a bit down soon, but at the moment I think it's more relief that the last week of waiting is now finally over. Longest week of my life!

Moodswings Sat 16-Jul-11 19:05:40

Glad you have come through it. This happened to me although the circs were different, as in not in uk. Not a nice thing to go through. I was very down after.

babysaurus Sun 17-Jul-11 14:19:58

Hmm, think I am getting the 'down' bit now. sad

Moodswings Sun 17-Jul-11 17:01:25

aww poor you. Have you checked on here for weblinks to sites which may help you come to terms with your loss. None of this was available when I had mine sad

babysaurus Mon 18-Jul-11 11:51:51

I have, and its been helpful-ish. I guess things are now calming down, relatively speaking, and I am just getting used to it. I am also bloody knackered (low hemoglobin) which isn't helping - the smallest thing knackers me out at the moment! Am consuming massive amounts of spinach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now