loader

Talk

Advanced search

what to pack for a miscarriage

(7 Posts)
toobusy999 Fri 01-Jul-11 16:21:51

sorry stupid question - but my head's not working right now

had the 12 week scan yesterday and found out the baby died about a week ago

have chosen to have medical management - i have to take the pill in a couple of days and then go into the hospital 2 days later

they said pack a bag - but no idea what to put in it
any suggestions for things that might help?

thanks for any suggestions

faintpositive Fri 01-Jul-11 16:27:07

Hi,
So sorry this is happening to you.
IME you will need:
Loads of sanitory pads and changes of underwear.
Easy to get down comfy tracky bottoms & T shirts.
Shower stuff.
Nice drinks and snacks.

Be prepared, medical management can take up to 24 hours to end. They will provide you with very good pain relief.
I had gas & air, morphine and tramadol. Also needed pain killers for when i went home, the few days afterwards are painful too.

Hope it isnt too horrendous for you, and that its all over with quickly.
Hugs x

PandaG Fri 01-Jul-11 16:49:03

Sorry for your loss.

something to occupy you, so books, magazines, ipod, pack of cards to pass the time with a visitor.

I'd get nighttime pads and plenty of them.

agree with snacks and nice drinks, and change for vending machines or phone perhaps.

slippers, comfy clothes, light cardi for comfort.

toobusy999 Fri 01-Jul-11 16:57:08

thanks for the advice - that's really helpful

i guess im just feeling scared about it at the moment - not really sure what to expect

ledkr Fri 01-Jul-11 17:03:00

im sorry,too busy.This happened to me too,i just had the d and c so knew nothing,was in pain so relieved to end it really.
Crap mags and chocolate.Good luck.

Mama5isalive Fri 01-Jul-11 19:02:45

OOOHHHHH im so sorry that your going through this what a awful thing to have happened your story sounds like me - 20th june - the same happened to me, but i had the op 2 days later - it will be fine i never took any mags with me had op, came around recovery, moved to ward told them i need the loo and as soon as they felt you had wee they allowed me to call DH to collect me! you recover better in your own bed in your own space!

All the best xxx

faintpositive Fri 01-Jul-11 22:10:17

I have had medical management 3 times now.
So i can give you an idea of what to expect if you like.

I think the folk who have answered you on here have had surgical management...D&C. It is very different to a medically managed miscarriage.

Following the tablets i began to gently bleed, like a heavy period. Then got period type cramps that then extended to contractions.
I had a drip in my hand and they gave me some morphine and a cylinder of gas & air, they showed me how to do it.
For me, the pain was excrutiating, but others i have spoken to deny that level of pain.
The pain and bleeding continued overnight for 12 hours until i eventually passed the pregnancy into a bed pan over the toilet.
I then went for a scan, and the pain immediately stopped. The scan showed that everything had gone.
I had period type cramps and bleeding for about 3 days after the procedure.
Needed strong painkillers as paracetamol just were not enough.

My experiences have not been good, but for me this was the way to go.
All the best for what is to come.
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now