Talk

Advanced search

How long to wait before hcg levels return to 'not pregnant' levels after mc?

(16 Posts)
MissRedIndie Thu 23-Jun-11 21:53:38

I started bleeding at 5 weeks and have been told to wait a week, test again and if positive still then the doctor will refer me for a scan to see what's going on. I am expecting that I've had a miscarriage, but obviously clinging on to the hope that it's just some bleeding. I've bled like a normal period and had no cramps or pain at all.

I really want to test again now so that I can get some closure if the test says not pregnant, but am not sure how quickly hcg levels drop to give an accurate result. Does anyone have any idea? I could really do with some stiff drinks this weekend (have best friend's baby shower to get through!), but don't want to chance it if there's even the slightest glimmer of hope that I'm still pregnant.

Any suggestions?

iggitwotimes Thu 23-Jun-11 22:22:19

Sorry for what you're going through. I think it's a same your doctor didn't take blood tests to determine hcg levels (as if they go down then it would confirm a mc) or send you now for a scan.
The sad thing is if you take a pregnancy test a week after a mc started it would quite often still be positive.
So, you could take one tomorrow, and if it's negative, then you'd know (and could have that drink) but if it's positive it could be good news or it could just be left-over hormones. Sorry not to be more helpful.
BTW nothing on God's earth would get me to a baby shower so soon after a mc.

LIG1979 Fri 24-Jun-11 07:53:14

Hello MissRedIndie,
So sorry for what you are going through. As Iggi said it can take a while for HCG to fall after a mc. Why don't you try those digital tests that tell you how far you are along? Then you can at least see whether it is going down or staying at 3 weeks+
I really hope that you get out of this limbo soon. x

Twittwooo Fri 24-Jun-11 11:01:05

Hi MissRedIndie, my doctor did a blood test the evening of the first day I bled and the results were in keeping with the pregnancy (about 6 weeks). She took blood again 5 days later and my HCG levels were down to something like 24, which confirmed the miscarriage. I considered doing a HPT during those 5 days, but I didn't want to risk getting a positive which really would indicate nothing and might have been upsetting. I'm guessing that just over a week later, my levels are probably down to nothing so this might help you, although I haven't done a test. I also bled fairly lightly over just 2 days with no pain, which is good in that the m/c wasn't as traumatic as it could have been, but it does leave you wondering so I know how you're feeling. I hope you get some kind of closure soon, I think it's important. Good luck. x

chocolatesparkle Fri 24-Jun-11 20:45:43

Hi MissRedIndie I misscarried at 7+3, i didnt go for a blood test for a couple of days, then my level was consistent with a 5 week pregnancy 987(so it may have dropped or maybe it never progressed beyond 5 weeks). However my repeat blood test (5 days on) is still 490 so its not dropping nearly as fast as twittwooo they all seem to drop at different rates, and because mine is taking so long, i keep having to go back, to make sure its is still dropping. Apparently urine tests postitive if your levels are above 25.
What i'm trying to say, is that you cannot predict if you will have a pos or neg urine test after a week, because its different for everyone.
Like iggitwotimes i would test tomorrow and then at least you'll know if you should go out drinking.
Thinking of you at this difficult time, all the best. xxx

chocolatesparkle Fri 24-Jun-11 20:46:49

just read lig1979, her suggestion is really good too, because then you will know if numbers are going up or down. xx

Twittwooo Sat 25-Jun-11 13:20:18

Just to update, I did a standard HPT this morning and it showed up negative. That's 10 days after I started bleeding, so I thought it might be useful to know that it is possible for levels to drop fairly quickly. As chocolatesparkle says though, it is obviously very different for everyone. Although I knew I had definitely miscarried, I was still a bit anxious about doing the test. I'm not sure why, but I now feel able to move on and I'm sure that will happen for you to, sooner or later. Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you in the end. xx

MissRedIndie Sat 25-Jun-11 23:48:48

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for your replies. I did as LIG suggested and did a digital test and got a not pregnant. Funny how even though you know you've miscarried you still hope it might say pregnant! Twit, i completely was the same with the anxious thing!! Although I'm still very sad about the outcome, I do feel rather relieved to have a final answer about the whole thing, and to not have ended up having to have scans to tell me the same answer.

I managed to fit in rather a few drinks last night at dinner out with DH which ended up with some tears over dinner in the restaurant when discussing everything, how embarrassing! Baby shower was surprisingly manageable though this evening - I think the fact that DD is only 9 months allowed me to put my smug 'I've already got a baby' hat on, rather than my miserable 'I've just had a miscarriage' one. A little surreal all the same.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and support, I really appreciate it. Twit and choc, I hope you have succesful pregnancies next time around!! x

scarlet123 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:04:36

Hi all! really helpful to read all your posts - so sorry for what you have all gone through. I too am having the same problem. I found out I was pregnant about three weeks ago just before I was due to go on holiday to Greece. went to the drs and he said to come back at 8 weeks. (I was five weeks at this time) About 8 days in to my holiday I had a bleed (I was six weeks by this time) I was really upset and went to bed. I bled for about three hours and had a shower in the morning and passed two small clots about the size of two grapes. Didnt bleed again until on the flight home! meanwhile still had all the pregnancy symptoms. I bled for about three hours again and then stopped. Went to the drs the next day and he seemed very uninterested and said yes you probably did have a miscarriage and sent me away and said 'take care' Thanks very much I thought!!!! Its now another week past and I am still getting pregnancy symptoms, very sore boobs etc. took a pregnancy test last night and still positive. I am very confused right now. i'd just like this all to be over and confirmed. I'd just like to know if there is a baby there or not so I can grieve and move on. I feel like I am in limbo. does anyone know if I'd still have hcg traces 11 days after bleeding? could I still have tissue in my womb that holds the hcg hormone? I feel that women are not treated very well when it comes to miscarriage in the uk!!!! I just feel that my dr could have at least sent me for a test just to confirm if I had miscarried or not! I have worked since I was 16 and paid my taxes. Disgusting treatment really! anyway, rant over! Can anyone help me? I am so confused!

iggagog Sun 10-Jul-11 21:29:32

I think if your bleeding continues on and off then you might have retained tissue. Some people bleed for a long time but I don't think (I may be corrected) that it should stop and start. See a different GP, or self-refer to a local Early pregnancy unit in your hospital.

Catsycat Mon 11-Jul-11 09:15:09

Hi Scarlet. Just to echo iggagog, I would definitely try to self refer to the EPAU, or directly ask GP to refer you (whichever is possible in your area, or makes you feel more comfortable). If it was me I would also specifically ask for a scan, as then they would hopefully be able to see what was what, rather than leaving you guessing, which I feel is terribly unfair for your peace of mind. Your GP is NOT an expert in early pregnancy / mc, so IMO should have referred you to someone who is (i.e. the Early Pregnancy Unit).

I'm very sorry you are having such a hard time, and hope you will get some answers soon.

To everyone else, thanks for sharing your stories. Have kind of been lurking here. Found out I'd lost our baby 3 weeks ago today, Had ERPC 12 days ago, and had BFN 2 days ago. Hoping AF will return soon...

scarlet123 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:36:07

Thanks for your help iggagog and catsy. I did what you suggested this morning and contacted my local early pregancy unit and have been booked in for a scan on Wednesday morning! I was very surprised that I was offered a scan so easily! completely different treatment to my gp and the lady I spoke to was really nice and concerned. Will be helpful to get some answers / find out what happened. I will keep you updated. So glad I posted this message - I would still be wondering and stressing out by now!

iggagog Tue 12-Jul-11 00:28:48

Good luck for wednesday. I know it's not the kind of scan you would want, but sometimes any news is good. Bypassing your GP clearly pays off! Take care.

Catsycat Tue 12-Jul-11 15:32:27

Well done Scarlet, I'm glad they were nice. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. x

Lily26Love Thu 10-Mar-16 17:46:50

hello! I need advice!
I find out i am pregnant and then i have pain i go to EPU they check if baby are in right place they can't see because its to early doctor say my level is really low 259 and i am 5-6 weeks i have a bit bleeding no cramps EPU tell me i have miscarriage but my hcg levels still the same 259 and on scan they can't see nothing!so fare i have 6 blood test and 3 scans they tell me to go in hospital to Inject something and the baby come out but i dont want do that in case if they are wrong!

26mummyof2 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:43:28

hi all
I am 6weeks pregnant and had bleeding started bleeding last Tuesday, it was quite light but I contacted the doctor right away, she checked my cervix and said it was closed and that was a good sign. she done 2 preg tests, 1st came back invalid 2nd negative. she then told me I have miscarried and she was sorry, I was advised to go home and rest and come back when the bleeding has stopped, I did exactly that then went back thurs and they took my bloods for the 1st test, next day the early preg unit called with the news that my hormone levels where 4 and that I defiantly had lost it. I went back to visit my doc as I am still being sick in the mornings and have most of the symptoms, I was checked for anemia that came back fine, cervix was checked again yesterday and still closed. my doc has sent a letter of referral to the hosp but can take up to 3weeks. I feel they should be doing more, and unsure how the hormone levels where so low that quick? should i of been sent for other tests? p.s sorry for the essay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now