Talk

Advanced search

Bad experience

(2 Posts)
VikkieSh Sat 18-Jun-11 15:31:50

I have recently has a miscarriage and after reading many stories on this site I wanted to share my story - and reassure others that they are not alone.
I found out that I was preganant after trying for a year - no periods, had basically given up. After coming off the pill after 15 years doc said I needed to be be patient!
It was such a surprise - but made me more happy than I have been in my life. I was sent for a scan very early to try and date the pregnancy. I was told it was about 6/7 weeks and there was a very faint flutter - a heart beat. Fantastic!
About a week after my scan I began bleeding. Immediately phoned the midwife who said it was nothing and not to worry. Next day - called docs, said the same thing. Next day went to drop in centre - same thing. Next day - demanded to see GP - reluctantly saw me and made me appt at the EPU - but not until the next day.
I had another scan - no sac and no baby. To say I was devastated doesn't quite describe how I felt.
I was taken to a small cupboard like room full of leaflets on miscarriage - whithout anyone saying a word to me in the scan room. I was handed a leaflet, told what the scan showed and told to go home and wait for bleeding to stop. (I was shell shocked to say the least).
The next day I was rushed into hospital in severe pain and put onto a drip and heavy pain killers. I was told something about my cervix being closed and lots of clots being stuck - so I had some sort of procedure - I don't really know what they did as I was so spaced out from the pain killers. (But the consultant was so kind and very concerned about me) I was then sent home with some more information and some painkillers.
I am shocked at the treatment I recieved - I know little can be done to stop a miscarriage. But the fact that nobody would listen to me when I knew what was happening was very distressing. Also being sent home after that scan with a leaflet - in total shock and not having a clue what was going to happen was very harrowing indeed. The first people to show any kindness or concern for me were the ambulance men who picked me up when I was rushed to A+E.
There needs to be a better procedure in place for women who go through this. It is so hard to uderstand what is happening. I have a wonderful husband - but still felt alone and that nobody cared about me or my baby.
I am on the mend now - but I will never forget the way I was treated.

weblette Sat 18-Jun-11 15:53:44

sad How awful that you were treated so coldly Vikkie.
When you're feeling able to, contact the hospitals PALS people and complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now