Talk

Advanced search

miscarriage advice- 3 weeks on, HPT positive, pregnancy symptoms still there

(10 Posts)
Melissad Fri 20-May-11 12:53:24

Hi,
I had a miscarriage on 27th April, so exactly 23 days ago. 3 days ago I took a pregnancy test for the first time since the miscarriage (just to confirm my hormones had settled back to normal) and it was a very strong positive. ( i took two, a cheap one and a clearblue with conception indicator which gave the result, 3+ weeks) .. I don't have any nausea, but I do still have pregnancy symptoms, such as enlarged sore breasts and constipation.
I went to see my GP this morning and he wasn't really interested. He said I should test again in a couple of weeks and if it's still positive, do a retest. He didn't mention blood tests, didn't examine me.. he said it was 'normal' to get a positive result after 3 weeks and didn't surprise him at all. I was certain that it was definitely a miscarriage because I've had one before and it was the same.. lots of blood for 48 hours, clots (some very large), followed by intermittent spotting. I still have very light spotting now, 3 weeks on, which is mostly stringy brown/grey/reddish stuff, (sorry!) and brownish discharge. I've felt fit and well, no signs of any infection. But I'm finding it incredibly stressful still having a strong positive result after 3 weeks and just want everything to return to normal. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Fri 20-May-11 14:21:39

How many weeks pg did you think you were? That can be the defining factor in how fast the hcp levels fall IIRC.

Have an unmumsnetty ((hug)) from me. Miscarriages are really hard.

Of course, there is the (admittedly remote) possibility that it was just a bleed and that you might still be pg.

Melissad Fri 20-May-11 14:29:16

I was hoping that he'd refer me for a scan, but he didn't think that was necessary. Half tempted to pay £140 for a private scan just to set my mind at rest.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 20-May-11 14:40:59

Any chance it was a twin? I don't want to raise your hopes but it's a possibility I guess. Three weeks on is a long time to get a strong + Is there no EPU you can turn up at?

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Sat 21-May-11 23:24:04

I think I'd probably be tempted to have a scan too just to set my mind at rest. Like Gwendoline I'd go to an EPU rather than going private (unless money is not an issue).

Melissad Mon 13-Jun-11 15:08:48

Well, after seeing my GP 3 weeks ago, I went to see another GP on Friday because I was still getting positive pregnancy test results, and he phoned the hospital when I was there to arrange a scan this morning at half ten. Got to the scan, expecting to see nothing, or retained products, or a missed miscarriage (like the one I had in January when I didn't have a clue until the first scan), but I instantly saw a beating heart and a very sizeable looking baby- and I'm 15 weeks pregnant! I can't believe it., totally stunned. So, despite the large amount of bright red blood and big clots in April, I'm still pregnant. I've spent the past 7 weeks convinced that I miscarried and am overjoyed (but annoyed at GP for not arranging a scan 3 weeks ago- he said there was no need and now I'm too late for nuchal fold, have had quadruple test today though after scan)
So it can happen- you can have a heavy bleed and still be pregnant. Sonographer couldn't see anything wrong with my placenta or any reason for the bleed, except possibility it might have been a twin pregnancy and I lost one in April (but no way of confirming this)
I'm still in shock!

whingeymacwhinger Mon 13-Jun-11 17:54:28

Huge congratulations. So nice to read a positive story!

stmalo Mon 13-Jun-11 20:36:26

wow, I'm so pleased to read this, I wish you the very best of luck with your pregnancy, and send big positive hugs xx

belindarose Mon 13-Jun-11 20:54:53

This is great news! Congratulations.

Kitesurfgirl Tue 14-Jun-11 19:32:54

huge congrats for you xx nice to read a thread about mc with a happy ending smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now