Talk

Advanced search

Possible infection after miscarriage

(5 Posts)
Mummarew Sat 08-Jan-11 06:05:02

Hi all,

Hoping for a little advice please. I miscarried on Christmas day at roughly 5 weeks. I dealt with it at home and am sure it was a miscarriage as not only did I bleed for 5 days but on 25th I passed several clots and a clear pearl like sac.

I have continued to have period like pains, totally bareable, since this day and also am still experiencing morning type nausea.

Went to walk in clinic 3 days ago as advised by nhs direct to check out pains and they gave me strong painkillers but didnt seem worried as im not still bleeding. Pain killers arent really needed and havent used them.

Yesterday the skin over my entire body was itching, as it had done during my last pregnancy and today ive woken up with symptons of a chest infection.

Really just wanted reassurance that these couldnt be related or if anyone else has suffered similar.

Thanks

cep Sat 08-Jan-11 11:56:33

sorry i'm not sure what to advise apart from seeing your gp.

belgo Sat 08-Jan-11 11:59:33

Sorry to hear this. Has the miscarrriage been confirmed? I think you need a scan to see exactly what is happening, and definitely see your GP. It is possible that you are just run down following the mc which is why you are still ill. But I do really think you need a scan.

MummyAbroad Sat 08-Jan-11 16:35:03

hi mummarew

I am very sorry for your loss

I dont think what you have sounds like classic symptoms of uterine infection:

chills
fever
pain in uterus
smelly discharge

HOWEVER - the knock on effects of an infection are so serious (it can lead to infertility) and the treatment is so simple (antibiotics) that I think you should go and see a doctor and get their opinion.

Have you done a home pregnancy test to see if it is negative yet? Tell your doctor if it is positive, if there are still pregnancy hormones in your body this can sometimes indicate retained tissue, which is one of the causes of infection.

Getting checked out by a doctor will give you some reassurance that recovery has gone well and is a step towards recovery from this event as a whole. Its traumatic enough without having to worry about physical problems, so go a make sure everything is alright.

Hope this is over for you soon.

Mummarew Tue 11-Jan-11 14:02:12

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. My symptons have turned into full blown flu so don't think its related. Am going to get myself off to the docs as soon as I can get myself out of bed!

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now