Talk

Advanced search

Think mc is starting

(30 Posts)
Piglet33 Mon 01-Nov-10 18:10:27

Hello.

I've been having light bleeding - slightly more than spotting - for five days now and went into A & E last Friday, where they did a scan and found a very slow heartbeat. Am just over 7 weeks and the heartbeat was 87 bpm. Saw my GP this morning who was lovely and arranged a follow up scan for Thursday to see if things have worsened or improved. I was sort of getting my hopes up and had no more pain, and just slight bleeding, but in the last hour have started bleeding with clots (sorry TMI). This now feels inevitable although I still have no pain. Is it possible this might end up ok or do I just need to face reality now?

I feel such an idiot for getting so excited too soon.

lollipopshoes Mon 01-Nov-10 18:19:09

oh piglet sad

it does sound as if you're losing it, I'm so sorry.

with my first mc I had no pain, just blood and clots like you describe.

With my second I had a lot of pain as well as the icky stuff.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it is possible to mc without having any pain.

much unmnetty {{hugs}} for you

Jojay Mon 01-Nov-10 18:24:28

Sounds very like my early miscarriage too - I had light ish bleeding for 10 days and no pain.

I hope you get the outcome you want but I think you are right to prepare yourself for the posibility of losing it.

And don't feel like an idiot for getting excited. I'd told the whole world that I was pg, but everyone was great afterwards.

Fingers crossed for you xx

digitalgirl Mon 01-Nov-10 18:31:18

I'm afraid it does sound as though you're miscarrying. I had a scan at 7 weeks last week where a very slow heartbeat was detected and baby was only 6+3. Started cramping and bleeding the next day. Don't feel silly for getting your hopes up, it's what keeps us going. I kept my hopes up right until I started bleeding. Even then I kept hoping until I passed the sac.

Take it easy and rest as much as you can. Is your DP around to support you?

Piglet33 Mon 01-Nov-10 18:44:04

Getting what feel like strong period pains now though mostly back ache.

DP is being amazing, so I don't feel I'm going through this alone. I do feel such a fool though, we'd excitedly talked about names and bought a small library of books that now seem rather sad and redundant.

How long did it take Digi? - I was on leave from work today but suppose to be back tomorrow and not sure what I should do. If it's going to happen, I really don't want to be stuck in a meeting...

KTRace Mon 01-Nov-10 18:58:27

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Do not go into work tomorrow or this week and I would suggest taking at least 2 weeks off.

I have had 2 MCs one at 9 weeks and physically the bleeding had slowed down so could have been back at work after 2 weeks. Second was at 12 weeks and I started bleeding really heavily again in the 3rd weeks so could not have been at work then and would have needed 3 weeks off work.

Don't feel foolish though what you did was natural with regard to names and books.

Be kind to yourself x

digitalgirl Mon 01-Nov-10 19:59:27

So so sorry piglet. I'm having my 3rd mc and it seems to be following the same pattern as the last two which was 10 days of bleeding from when the cramps started, which I hear is fairly average. It's not the same for everyone but I would advise you to take at least a week off from work. If possible give yourself a few days to grieve and then if (and only if) you welcome the distraction perhaps offer to work from home if it's doable.

I do know that two weeks off is often the norm, but I physically felt fine after a week and didn't want to be rattling around the house thinking too much about what I'd lost. Talking to friends really helped, as did posting on here.

Take care of yourself and let DP confound to look after you.

digitalgirl Mon 01-Nov-10 20:01:11

Continue not confound (sorry)

kat2504 Mon 01-Nov-10 21:12:31

I'm so sorry. I believe the clots mean that you shouldn't hold out much hope, but I guess you know that by now. Even without the clots a heartbeat of less than 90 is a bad sign.

You must take time off work. If you are m/c naturally you will feel physically and emotionally crap. Even if you get off lightly with the pain, the hormones and the grief are a lot to deal with. I was "lucky" in that I had mine during the summer holidays (i work termtime) so I didn't need time off. If it had happened in term time I would have had at least a fortnight before I was ready to go back. Everyone is different of course, but I think you should be expecting to spend this week looking after yourself at home. Sorry to be graphic, but you will probably need to spend some time quite close to your toilet during the worst of it, and that is definitely not a time to be at work.

For what it's worth I did the same as you. I spent £100 on pregnancy books and magazines. Together we highlighted names we liked in the baby names book. It is natural and normal and I think everyone does the same in their excitement. Especially first timers.

Wishing you all the best. I know it is a horrible time but you will come through it soon enough

rachk32 Mon 01-Nov-10 21:23:47

hi there, i totally agree with all of the above, i had an mmc 5 weeks ago, i was 13 weeks, baby died at 8. It took neally a week to actually miscarry the baby and it was horrible and i wouldnt like that to have happened at work... Being at home and close to a toilet really helped!
Like all of the above advised, i took three weeks off work, and still felt i needed more time to emotionally and physically recover.
I like you brought bits for the baby and even brought maternity jeans as id started to expand, really sad but at least i have them for my next pg.
My thought are with u, like all of the above say, be kind, take plenty of time, and rest.... X

rachk32 Mon 01-Nov-10 21:27:08

sorry about spelling and grammer im updating on my mobile.
Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest, dont forget to take iron tablets, you will need them to get back to feeling normal again, after all the blood loss. X

wannabeglam Mon 01-Nov-10 21:33:33

Don't beat yourself up about getting excited early on - how could you not? I told everyone straight away with all 3 of my pregnancies. I lost the 2nd one, but was glad people knew - they helped me through it.

I'm very sorry this is happening to you. For me, once the pain began it was 24 hours.

Piglet33 Mon 01-Nov-10 22:10:42

I don't get this - now bleeding has stopped and no pain. If it's happening, I just want it over. This is all just too heart wrenching getting my hopes up. Sorry to whinge - I'm a bit of a control freak and am struggling with the complete lack of it.

banana87 Mon 01-Nov-10 22:50:13

Hope you are ok Piglet. Just to say I went thru this a few weeks ago and my mc was incomplete and I had to have an emergency ERPC, otherwise they said I would have hemmorhaged. I had no pain and the bleeding was only heavy at times, then slowed massively. I think its best to go to hospital and check you have had a complete miscarriage. They should be able to tell by examining you. So sorry for your loss.

HidingInTheBackRow Tue 02-Nov-10 21:13:44

Hi Piglet. I hope you are ok. I had an mc just over a week ago. I think they are often differant for everyone but for me I found the bleeding wasn't too bad but I had terrible cramps for about 4 days.

I found that both the cramping and bleeding would come and go. So I would be fine for a few hours or so and the bleeding would seem to stop and then suddenly the bleeding would start again. I would second all the advice to just take it easy, don't go in to work and spend lots of time with your feet up. I found a hot waterbottle was a life saver during the worst bits and the only pain relief that did any good. If the pain gets unmanageble or you are bleeding very heavily (I was told over a pad an hour) then you should go to A+E straight a way.

I was lucky with my work in that we agreed that I would just work from home if and when I felt like it. This worked better for me personaly then taking the time of completly as I couldn't deal with sitting around with nothing to do. However, if I couldn't have had that flexibility I would have taken time off, being out the house just isn't a good option.

Really don't feel bad for getting excited, I had chosen my cot and got loads of books. Me and DP had also just told the parents and I had told my line manager at work. Though I felt an idiot at first I am now really, really glad that we had told them as they have all been amazing. Their support has been so important to help us through.

Jojay Tue 02-Nov-10 22:00:32

Hi Piglet, how's it going now?

Piglet33 Tue 02-Nov-10 22:29:29

Hi everyone, still nothing happening. Bit of bleeding today, but not much. Enough 'not much' for me to get my hopes up, but am keeping that in check. Just tomorrow to get through and then scan on Thursday morning. Thanks all for your messages - the support and love on mums net is really amazing. Just reading gopher threads is really quite humbling at how caring people are. Take care everyone x

Piglet33 Thu 04-Nov-10 12:53:43

Hello all,

I had my scan this morning and they seem to think everything ok. Baby has grown and heartbeat still there. The EPU was quite cross that preivous hospital had told me the bpm as they said it can be misleading and not a good indicator (as a number of you have said here). They think the bleeding will stop on its own as is now pretty light and that I should just let them know if it gets worse again. Otherwise am due my next scan on 22 November. Am obviously so pleased, but still feel very nervous, so will take it very slow over the next few weeks. Thank you all for your support - I'm hopeful I may just be one of the lucky ones, but obviously a long way to go yet. Take care x

Byblyofyle Thu 04-Nov-10 13:03:32

Hi Piglet
That's really good news. I bled off and on up until 18 weeks with DD1, sometimes it was quite heavy and it was always frightening. It was an IVF pregnancy too. I wonder now if it should have been twins (3 embryoes had been implanted) and i just lost one at an early stage. Anyway, everything was fine in the end (he's now 18 yo) and I hope it will be for you too! smile

ajandjjmum Thu 04-Nov-10 13:10:39

Fingers crossed for you Piglet.

Jojay Thu 04-Nov-10 17:51:38

So pleased for you Piglet. Fingers crossed for the rest of your pregnancy smile

Piglet33 Wed 17-Nov-10 20:19:54

Hi there,

Me again. Am still bleeding - not much but about two smallish clots a day usually after a BM (sorry TMI) that's three weeks now - surely that can't be good?! EPU didn't seem overly concerned when I saw them two weeks ago and said to only go back in if pain or bleeding gets worse. But other than being in a nonstop foul mood and worrying like crazy, I can't honestly say i think it is worse. Have next scan on Monday, but have really geared myself up for no bean, or bean with no heartbeat, or bean with too slow growth and slow heartbeat. Sorry to whinge on, but am finding the waiting unbearable. Keep hoping that one day I'll have no bleeding at all, but every day it's there. All a bit grim.

banana87 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:50:18

Is your bleeding brown or still red? Fingers crossed for you!

Piglet33 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:57:52

Kind of dark red/brown. Thank you - it's the uncertainty I find most hard.

banana87 Wed 17-Nov-10 22:47:14

It's old blood hun. Nothing to worry about!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now