Talk

Advanced search

Can a school go from inadequate (4) and jump to outstanding (no 1) by ofsted?

(14 Posts)
2015mom Tue 10-May-16 10:31:03

Hi

I was just wondering whether a primary school can suddenly jump from special measures aka inadequate which is number 4 to outstanding which is number 1 by ofsted?

Maybe I am be sceptical but seems a bit bizarre a school can drop to inadequate and be rated as a special measures school and jump right up to outstanding.

momb Tue 10-May-16 10:35:20

Its my understanding that an inadequate school gets interim visits, lots of guidance, and doesn't get signed off until they have met a certain standard and are still on an upward curve. Thus a school graded as inadequate because of an institutional failure which can be quickly rectified can be signed off within a year and then have another couple of years to make improvement before the next scheduled inspection. It should be possible to get an outstanding grade at that one..

2015mom Tue 10-May-16 10:36:00

It was rated inadequate in 2013 sorry think it was number 3 inadequate not 4 and then it was rated outstanding in 2015

rollonthesummer Tue 10-May-16 10:36:15

What's the time period between the two inspections?

rollonthesummer Tue 10-May-16 10:36:37

A lot can change in 2 years!

2015mom Tue 10-May-16 10:36:58

Oh okay thanks for that information... I thought it was a big jump in such a short space of fime

BertrandRussell Tue 10-May-16 10:37:01

Isn't 3 satisfactory?

ReallyTired Tue 10-May-16 10:37:53

I suggest you read the report and see why the school failed in the first place.

A lot depends on why a school failed its first OFSTED. For example something like failing to CRB check staff properly would automatically make a school inadequate. A school with outstanding teaching, but poor safety could quickly and easily be made outstanding with a really good head.

A change of head teacher and replacing all the staff changes a school beyound recongition. I am surprised as the affects of historically poor teaching hurts children for years.

2015mom Tue 10-May-16 10:38:07

On ofsted report it says 3 requires improvement

duckyneedsaclean Tue 10-May-16 10:39:15

Sometimes there is one aspect that throws it all into inadequate.

For instance my local secondary was put into special measures because of safeguarding issues over Islamic extremism. Six months later it was upgraded to outstanding.

Wellthen Thu 12-Jan-17 22:17:03

One of the points of ofsted is to improve schools. Nothing like downgrading and then upgrading schools to make it look like you're doing something.

CotswoldStrife Thu 12-Jan-17 22:21:56

DD's school was in special measures (as it was then, probably the equivalent of 4 in the current scale) and came out of it into Good/level 2 at the next inspection hmm It has left me fairly sceptical about the value of OFSTED inspections tbh. It was a well-regarded school and locals were surprised that it had failed an inspection make of that what you will

SmellyChristmasCandles Fri 13-Jan-17 08:11:45

Cotswold - our primary was deemed in need of special measures. A big surprise to all concerned. A year later it was 'good' and out of special measures. I am not sceptical enough to suggest it might have had something to do with the fact that by that time we were about to become an academy having been given no other option but the D of E.

JugglingMum17 Sat 29-Apr-17 00:16:22

Thanks for your input very useful. I guess it's quite normal then for rating to jump up or down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now