Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Serious question - what are the positives of being post-menopausal?

(14 Posts)
chelseamorning Fri 01-May-09 13:43:29

If you've battled against the menopause, and have come out on the other side, what are the positive aspects of being post-menopausal?

Please, be inspirational - so there's something to look forward to! grin hmm

chelseamorning Fri 01-May-09 13:43:58

Apart from not having menopausal symptoms, btw! grin

chelseamorning Tue 05-May-09 13:30:37

<<<<tumbleweeds blowing across the plain>>>>

Should I assume from the silence that there aren't any?!!!! grin

howtotellmum Wed 13-May-09 16:31:59

None- except no periods, unless you count HRT withdrawal bleeds. Oh, and no need to worry over contraception.

cocolepew Wed 13-May-09 16:34:22

No PMT.

seeker Thu 04-Jun-09 21:55:35

The sad thing is that there aren't many women on here old enough to tell you - mumsnet is a young women's game, I'm afraid!

No need for contraception - but I actually find that a bit sad - even if it's a real plus from a physical point of view.

No periods. No PMT. All good - but a bit sad too.

Sorry, that didn't sound very encouraging. The physical advantages outweigh the psychological disadvantages 99.9% of the time. But I do find myself envying my pubescent daughter!

ellingwoman Thu 04-Jun-09 22:02:55

I don't understand the question - what is there not to look forward to?

Unless you're young and still want children I suppose.

Donk Thu 04-Jun-09 22:08:11

No period pains!

I am still having menopausal symptoms, so will have to give it another year or two beforeI find out the rest of the answer...

cheshirekitty Tue 14-Jul-09 19:33:22

No periods.
No PMS.
Forget contraception.
No chocolate craving.
No spotty skin at a certain time of the month.
No spending loads of money on tampax's.

Hormonesnomore Tue 14-Jul-09 19:56:29

I've been through the menopause.
I have no periods now.
Therefore no PMS.
And no period pains.
I still get spots.
And chocolate cravings (probably the reason for the spots).
I can wear white trousers any time I want.
I had no menopausal symptoms except lack of periods - great!

cat64 Tue 14-Jul-09 20:12:12

Message withdrawn

Granny23 Tue 14-Jul-09 20:28:00

Add to lists above:

No thrush
No migraines
Bras and tight waist trousers fit EVERY day of the month
Can go swimming anytime and plan holidays without a calander and calculator to hand

Thanks for starting the thread, a timely reminder for me to count post menopausal benefits. My only regret is that menopause did not come sooner (last period @ 56) so that I could enjoy the benefits for longer before I plunged into decrepitude!

Hormonesnomore Wed 15-Jul-09 19:28:35

Oh dear, I still get migraines occasionally sad
My last period was at around 40 (back in the mists of time...) and it's been great ever since. I did take HRT for 10 years - that was great too as I had one that doesn't give a withdrawal bleed. The only thing I objected to was the double prescription charge - "there are 2 drugs in it" Yes, there are 2 drugs in paracetamol & codeine, but it's only a single charge for that! angry

PrettyCandles Wed 15-Jul-09 19:33:23

Being peri-menopausal, I've been reading about this very thing. What comes across is that a lot of post-menopausal women feel so freed from variations in their hormones that it's as if another side of their personality has had the opportunity to develop. A bit like people who've retired in good health, except that post-menopausal women are likely to be still working/parenting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now