Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

confused

(7 Posts)
mini10 Fri 10-Oct-08 16:56:33

Went to doc as no periods for 4 months. Said it may be start of menopause but wont test as she says results can change from 1 month to next.

I am confused, are home tests reliable as these use urine and not blood. I have read that they will actually tell you when you had your last period.

Mercy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:03:13

I've never heard of a home test tbh.

How old are you? Do you have any ohter symptoms?

mini10 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:18:57

I am 44. Night sweats but only since the day doc mentioned the word menopause. Am i imaging them, it is like major anxiety and depression since she said it because i long for another dc

Mercy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:30:09

Ok.

I've just turned 45 and have had random symptoms for a couple of years now. The worst one is more frequent and/or heavier periods and also night sweats.

I think anxiety levels also increase during the peri-menopause so unfortunately it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Can you describe your night sweats? (lovely subject I know!)

mini10 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:38:29

I wake up feeling hot and my face/body is abit clammy. Then i lie there for what seems like hours trying to get back to sleep tossing and turning, thinking omg i am in menopause and i long for a baby. been like this every night since doc visit.

I did have a couple of similar night sweats when me and my partner split up for a while.

Mercy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:55:18

Oh you poor thing sad

I wonder if anxiety is the root cause - as I'm sure you know that can also cause periods to stop.

I got horribly broody a year or so ago, to the point of tears. I sometimes think it's natures way of giving us our last attempt to be a mum.

My night sweats are quite different, I don't feel hot but can wake up drenched in sweat and have to get changed (it's horrible but fortunately an occasional event atm)

honestfriend Mon 13-Oct-08 22:32:51

They can do tests, but results can also vary from month to month.

I had tests in January that showed I was menopausal, then I had 3 more periods, and sweats etc stopped, then more tests in Sept should I was menopausal.

My gynae says it is like a car running out of petrol- some people just stop dead, others are stop-go stop-go for months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: