Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

confused

(7 Posts)
mini10 Fri 10-Oct-08 16:56:33

Went to doc as no periods for 4 months. Said it may be start of menopause but wont test as she says results can change from 1 month to next.

I am confused, are home tests reliable as these use urine and not blood. I have read that they will actually tell you when you had your last period.

Mercy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:03:13

I've never heard of a home test tbh.

How old are you? Do you have any ohter symptoms?

mini10 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:18:57

I am 44. Night sweats but only since the day doc mentioned the word menopause. Am i imaging them, it is like major anxiety and depression since she said it because i long for another dc

Mercy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:30:09

Ok.

I've just turned 45 and have had random symptoms for a couple of years now. The worst one is more frequent and/or heavier periods and also night sweats.

I think anxiety levels also increase during the peri-menopause so unfortunately it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Can you describe your night sweats? (lovely subject I know!)

mini10 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:38:29

I wake up feeling hot and my face/body is abit clammy. Then i lie there for what seems like hours trying to get back to sleep tossing and turning, thinking omg i am in menopause and i long for a baby. been like this every night since doc visit.

I did have a couple of similar night sweats when me and my partner split up for a while.

Mercy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:55:18

Oh you poor thing sad

I wonder if anxiety is the root cause - as I'm sure you know that can also cause periods to stop.

I got horribly broody a year or so ago, to the point of tears. I sometimes think it's natures way of giving us our last attempt to be a mum.

My night sweats are quite different, I don't feel hot but can wake up drenched in sweat and have to get changed (it's horrible but fortunately an occasional event atm)

honestfriend Mon 13-Oct-08 22:32:51

They can do tests, but results can also vary from month to month.

I had tests in January that showed I was menopausal, then I had 3 more periods, and sweats etc stopped, then more tests in Sept should I was menopausal.

My gynae says it is like a car running out of petrol- some people just stop dead, others are stop-go stop-go for months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now