Talk

Advanced search

Very long period

(12 Posts)
DivisionBelles Mon 16-Dec-19 15:44:26

I'm having the period from hell. One week of spotting and very light bleeding followed by flooding for a week. Into my third week now and although it's lighter, I'm still bleeding bright red blood. Sometimes I think it might stop and then it starts with a vengeance again.

Someone reassure me this is normal! I'm 47. I have had a similar episode about 3.5 years ago but this was only for 18 days. Had a few investigations at the time and all was normal then. I'm trying to get to the Drs but there's nothing available this week at all.

DivisionBelles Mon 16-Dec-19 17:55:51

I’ve posted this in menopause as well, but hoping for a bit more traffic here.

I'm having the period from hell. One week of spotting and very light bleeding followed by flooding for a week. Into my third week now and although it's lighter, I'm still bleeding bright red blood. Sometimes I think it might stop and then it starts with a vengeance again.

Someone reassure me this is normal! I'm 47. I have had a similar episode about 3.5 years ago but this was only for 18 days. Had a few investigations at the time and all was normal then. I'm trying to get to the Drs but there's nothing available this week at all. I’m so fed up. I’ve got no sex drive, I’ve put on weight round my tummy and my nice hourglass shape, is now just blob like. I’ve given up with my mooncup as I was filling it up with one gush (sorry, maybe tmi!).

DivisionBelles Mon 16-Dec-19 17:56:24

I have no idea why that posted twice!

Ilovellamas Mon 16-Dec-19 20:56:04

Hi, this happened to me. I had a very long period (28 days) and it felt like I was bleeding to death, I just couldn’t believe there was so much blood. I went to the drs and they said it was perimenopause. They did do a scan and found fibroids and I became anaemic after this period and had a short course of iron. It is terrible, I was so fed up at the end of it. Luckily I only had two of these long periods and have been back to normalish since. Hope it finishes soon xx

Summer152 Tue 17-Dec-19 18:12:29

Hi I would advise you go to the doctors. I am 51 and had no period for six months. I presumed that I was going into menopause. However beginning of September my period from hell started. I became anemic and got referred for a scan which showed fibroids and cyst. Doctor has put me on Provera which hasn’t stopped the bleeding. Also taking iron tablets as well. Now waiting for an appointment from the hospital gynaecology dept. Honestly I am not trying to worry you but please get yourself checked out.

Lavazza111 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:09:24

Hi I had very heavy periods last year and didn't get it checked out in time. I ended up getting very anaemic and needing to have blood transfusion. Looking back I just kept going, thinking it was normal. Since then, friends have told me there is medication which can lessen the flow. I guess my advice is to talk to your GP and be mindful of symptoms like extreme tiredness, feeling the cold, feeling faint. You can get help- don't put up with it! Good luck.

mumsnoangel Sat 28-Dec-19 15:23:40

Just wondering if this issue has resolved? I am in a similar boat, having had an unexpectedly long period of 16 days (not especially heavy, just kept starting up again every time I thought it had finished). Then after three days when I thought it had stopped, I bled after sex, so worried again. I'm 50 and still having fairly regular periods, had surgery for a uterine polyp two years ago, so now wondering if that has come back. Smear test up to date. Scared I have uterine cancer...

Summer152 Mon 30-Dec-19 10:03:43

mumsnoangel
Please try not to worry and if not already done so please go see your GP asap. Good luck!

DivisionBelles Mon 30-Dec-19 18:53:45

I finally managed to get a Drs appointment today, but not until 24th January! I’ve started spotting again today, but not sure if that’d due to ovulation as it’s now 7 days since I last bled, or I’m coming on again. My health anxiety is being done no favours by this at all! My rational side tells me it’s all to do with my age and the perimenopause, but then I start worrying and can’t stop. Hope you get some answers too soon mumsnoangel.

dahliaaa Mon 30-Dec-19 19:10:59

I had this last year (late 40's). Very very heavy period for 6 weeks. GP told me off for not going earlier. Was anaemic etc.
Sent for scan and gynaecologist appointment in end. All seemed ok and they think was 'just' down to peri.
Good that you've got an appointment.

Boristhecats Tue 31-Dec-19 06:57:08

Mine last at least 2 and a half months each time. Sometimes 3. With a few weeks break in between and then I get agonising boob pain so much that I refuse to take my bra off.
It is not much just an annoying amount so I have to use a pantry liner. My husband bless him has been wonderful. I have been on for most of the year. I’m so over this i can’t tell u

DivisionBelles Tue 31-Dec-19 07:20:42

Boris that sounds awful and I'm not surprised you are fed up. Spotting so far (fingers crossed) has gone, but I still feel like I'm about to start any day. It's all so unpredictable. I now carry round a little wash bag with clean knickers and supplies in just in case.

I'm not sure what I'm going to ask the Dr for when I see him. I'm not keen
on Mirena having read how some people don't get on with it. Many years ago I stopped taking the pill as I didn't really like putting hormones into my body. I've had tranexamic acid before and that didn't really do a lot. Hope he can offer something else. I'd be quite happy to have it all whipped out, but know that's not the current thought on this. My DM had a hysterectomy at around my age so I can't even ask her how her menopause was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »