Talk

Advanced search

Menopause and restless legs?

(2 Posts)
MotherofOne Thu 21-Nov-19 18:09:49

I've been on HRT for about 5 years and decided to try to take a break and come off it.
This is Day8 without HRT and although my hot flushes haven't come back, another one of my menopause symptoms has - achey, restless legs!
Basically it feels like deep "bone pain" rather than muscular and it's often bad overnight, waking me up and keeping me awake.

If it wasn't for this I might manage to stay off HRT, but this is excruciating!

Anyone have any experience/ solutions? Exercise and warm baths help, but only for temporary relief.

XXcstatic Thu 21-Nov-19 18:17:37

Ask your GP to check your iron levels, as low iron can make RLS worse. While you are at it, it is worth having your thyroid function and HbA1C (to rule out diabetes) checked at the same time, as these can also cause/aggravate RLS. Also, if you are on any medication, ask your GP if it could be contributing - antidepressants and beta-blockers are common culprits.

Cutting down on caffeine and alcohol helps some people, as does exercise though not too close to bedtime.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »