Talk

Advanced search

Fasting, effect on menstrual cycle

(5 Posts)
Sarcelle Thu 14-Nov-19 13:48:05

I am in the office 2 days a week, and I decided not to eat lunch and just have a normal dinners those 2 days. So Sunday evening I had dinner as normal, and the next time I ate was Monday evening. I did the same Wednesday too. I did it for weight management reasons, and also I get bored with office type lunches. I never eat breakfast. All went well, did not feel hungry. Felt very sharp and energetic in fact. So would like to keep it up.

I am now 11 months since my last period. Was willing to pop a few balloons next month to signify I was post menopausal. Today, I have a period. Last night I had painful breasts, and this morning, some blood (but not heavy). I am not on HRT.

Is it possible that having a few fasting days could have brought back periods?

JinglingHellsBells Fri 15-Nov-19 08:01:15

No. A cycle takes weeks - ovulation followed by the progesterone phase. Women who eat too little and become anorexic or underweight find periods stop- so the opposite to what you're thinking.

Sarcelle Fri 15-Nov-19 12:53:19

Just an awful coincidence I guess. Awful because I was hoping never to have another period ever! Was forgetting how awful they were.

TarnWelby Fri 15-Nov-19 17:13:11

I have experienced this following a period of dieting on two occasions .

I did manage to find some American research that supported the theory that in peri/menopausal women dieting /weight loss could trigger an ovulatory response.

Sarcelle Fri 15-Nov-19 21:17:15

I hope it's the last one. It is quite possibly the worse one I have had, I am hoping it's putting on a show for its swan song!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »