Talk

Advanced search

Extreme bloating. Hormones/ HRT or something sinister?

(11 Posts)
trumpisaflump Wed 13-Nov-19 19:52:08

I had an early menopause at 43 and have been on Femoston 2/10 for two years now (I'm 45). For the last 2 weeks I've had the worst abdominal bloating bloating ever. Tried laxatives, peppermint oil, Gaviscon to no avail.
I'm slim at size 6-8 so I know it's not overeating. I've hardly eaten anything anyway over the last few weeks as I've been so worried.
I saw a GP today who examined my abdomen and said he didn't feel any masses but my lower abdo muscles felt very 'lax' and he almost expected to feel a hernia (he didn't feel one). He sent bloods away for ovarian cancer which will be back on Friday or Monday.
Has anyone had extreme bloating like this and it was menopausal? I'm trying to keep calm but I'm completely terrified!

trumpisaflump Thu 14-Nov-19 07:07:20

Anyone?

JinglingHellsBells Thu 14-Nov-19 08:33:42

Do you mean you are constipated? Sorry to sound a bit harsh but it's not clear what you mean. If you are using laxatives is this because you can't poo very often? Most people mean they have wind when they say bloated so just not sure what you are feeling and also what you are worried about. Your dr's doing the right thing but if you look at symptoms of ovarian cancer you don't really have any and it's more likely to be something minor like IBS or sluggish digestion. You could push for an abdominal ultrasound if you are worried.

trumpisaflump Thu 14-Nov-19 10:33:21

Sorry!
My stomach is massive and distended but no pain and no other symptoms. I tried to rule out all the usual causes of bloating like overeating, constipation, IBS or wind by using medication to no avail. I think my GP is dealing with it really well but I'm just wondering if there may be a hormonal element to the bloating as I can't find any other reason.
Every internet search I do for bloating I find ovarian cancer so I'm obviously worried but should get the results from the CA125 test tomorrow

JinglingHellsBells Thu 14-Nov-19 12:10:56

You only have one sign of OC and none of the others, and it's very rare in women pre menopause. Have you put on weight? A lot can go on the tummy around meno time!

Have a look at the website Ovacome and use the tracker they have there for your symptoms.

The C125 test is not accurate sorry to say! (I had it done once.)
The test only picks up very late stage cancer and even then it's only 80% accurate. It can also give false negatives for things like endo.

Your GP ought to refer you for an abdominal ultrasound. Or you can - if you have the cash- pay for one privately.

whatisforteamum Thu 14-Nov-19 13:43:51

Hi trumpisaflump it is understandable you are worried.My DM had severe bloating in 2007.as a larger lady we didn't notice but when she pointed it out she looked 7 months pregnant.She left it ages as she was worried and her other symptom was vomiting.She did have stage 4 primary peritoneal cancer which is treated like ovarian cancer.
Obviously there may be other causes but any one symptom can point towards ovarian or any cancer you don't need the whole list.
I myself had a .ca 125 which was ok.They are only used as part of a diagnosis as other inflammation can raise the numbers.
Best of luck and I hope the bloating is something minor.
Please if you get no joy to back again and again.Don't get fobbed off.

AmICrazyorWhat2 Thu 14-Nov-19 13:51:38

Sending you flowers OP as I know this must be v. worrying.

I'm the same age as you and am having more problems with abdominal bloating, having never had issues before. It's not continual, but every few weeks I swell up and feel really uncomfortable (not linked to my period). It gradually goes back to normal. I'm wondering whether it's IBS or a food intolerance. I also have separated abs due to having massive babies.

I agree with PP's that you should wait for your test results and then continue to explore all the options. It's probably something minor related to aging, but you're addressing it (not ignoring it, which obviously wouldn't be wise) and I'm sure you/your doctor will figure out it. flowers

trumpisaflump Thu 14-Nov-19 16:09:57

Thanks all. It's so weird as I'm skinny everywhere else and usually have a super flat stomach. This has just come out of nowhere. My GP definitely isn't trying to fob me off-he has been great so far. I'll await the results and go from there but if they are negative I'll either request a scan on the NHS or pay privately to get it done quickly. I'm also going to try and see a women's health physiotherapist as my GP commented that my lower abdo muscles were very lax.

trumpisaflump Fri 15-Nov-19 20:24:34

Just to update those that replied-my GP called today to say my OC result was negative but my bloods show I have an underactive thyroid. This would explain my sluggish digestion (and all my other symptoms like tiredness, feeling cold, difficulty concentrating). My GP has started me on levothyroxine so I'm hoping I feel better in a month or two.
Thanks everyone for replying.

Fleetheart Fri 15-Nov-19 20:29:30

Good news. Glad you will get treatment OP

whatisforteamum Sat 16-Nov-19 07:41:22

Brilliant news.They got on the case straight away too.Good luck with treatment..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »