Talk

Advanced search

50 and periods still regular as ever. Is this usual?

(18 Posts)
BigbreastsBiggerbeard Wed 16-Oct-19 23:48:08

I know every woman is different, but I'm curious. I've never even missed a period and they haven't changed, apart from my cycle becoming shorter. I'm just wondering, how many of you are still having, or still had, regular periods at 50?

I guess I thought that by this age I'd have missed a few or they'd be doing strange things.

This isn't even a complaint (though I'm not keen on them)!

Mollpop Wed 16-Oct-19 23:49:22

I'm the same, I'm 51

VanGoghsDog Wed 16-Oct-19 23:49:36

51 - same.

And I have a coil so shouldn't even have the stupid things in the first place.

DarkerShrimpVase Wed 16-Oct-19 23:51:13

Me. Had regular monthlies up to half way through my 53rd year, then they stopped. And that was the only symptom of menopause. Now 56 and happy to have it all behind me.

BigbreastsBiggerbeard Wed 16-Oct-19 23:56:23

Gosh, so it could be ongoing for a while then. Possibly. I'm not mad keen on it all ending because I'll inevitably feel some sense of sadness, but at the same time, it's a total pain every month. Plus I have this sense of everything falling to pieces the minute it's definitely the MENOPAUSE. Think I may have a minor panic.

Thanks for your replies grin

1Wildheartsease Wed 16-Oct-19 23:58:43

Mine seem to have stopped this year (age 56). Cycle in year before before was regular but got slightly shorter.

Menopause so far is occasional warmth- on and off- not unpleasant but odd.

Hair suddenly thinned but seems to have recovered a bit now.

1Wildheartsease Thu 17-Oct-19 00:04:16

I liked hearing about the whale matriarchs who lead their young-bearing fellow whales and use experience to keep them all safe.

Now that young-bearing day's might be behind me, I feel that my confident whale-leading qualities are coming to the fore.

I am experienced and feel good. 🐋 This just might be my prime!

Pipandmum Thu 17-Oct-19 00:07:10

Mine started to get irregular at about 55 and now have stopped at 57. No other symptoms at all, lucky me.
I think the average age is 52.

Neacy Thu 17-Oct-19 00:07:11

I started my period at aged 10, I had my last period October 2017, I was 55, now 57 and feel happy, went through the menopause with hot flushes and plenty of night sweats, but feel fine now.

quickkimchi Thu 17-Oct-19 00:13:31

I'm almost 52, still having periods. I too felt a bit wistful about the prospect of my (short, light, easy) periods stopping, then suddenly they changed into long, heavy, painful periods, sometimes two in one month. When they stop I may not miss them as much as I'd previously expected.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 17-Oct-19 00:15:40

It was normal for my great-grandmother. She had her 10th child when she was 50.

DeeCeeCherry Thu 17-Oct-19 00:22:02

Mine were regular up to age 55. I'm 56 now and not yet at stage of not having had period for 12 months

Kahlua4me Thu 17-Oct-19 06:48:24

I am 51 and mine are more regular now then they ever were! However they are heavier for the first days or so and gone in 4 days.

BigbreastsBiggerbeard Thu 17-Oct-19 12:59:06

Well, it looks like I'm going to get much more use out of my mooncups that I thought! I was cursing myself for not having tried them sooner, but probably have at least another couple of years with them.

With my mum having gone through what I remember being a difficult menopause, thought I might be headed in the same direction. Mind you, there's still time....

Bluerussian Thu 17-Oct-19 13:04:50

Not at all unusual. You say your cycle is shorter so it has changed a bit.

TeacupDrama Thu 17-Oct-19 13:07:33

51 still regular but last only 3 days and are lighter

MIdgebabe Thu 17-Oct-19 16:55:24

Only 50% women are through menopause by 52 ( last period aged 51). 80% through by age 55. I was gutted when I discovered this! Know someone who was 60.

LoyaltyBonus Thu 17-Oct-19 17:01:06

I'm almost 50 and the same, periods have always been regular in that I had one every month but if anything they're more regular now, 28 days on the dot

PMT is getting worse and I have sore breasts for two weeks beforehand now sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »