Talk

Advanced search

Would like to re try HRT but issues with progesterone. Any alternatives?

(5 Posts)
BigButtons Wed 16-Oct-19 18:48:42

I am 52 and still have monthly bleeds. More and more I am suffering during the second half of my cycle. I am in lots of pelvic pain, spotty, grumpy etc. I know that I am very sensitive to progesterone. I had a nightmare with the Mirena and have suffered horribly during the progesterone phase of the HRT- (horrendous pains, vicious temper and then acne)I once tried. Now it seems I am become more and more sensitive to my own progesterone.
Is there any way round this?
I take various natural supplements which do help with hot flushes etc-
Thanks

Melroses Wed 16-Oct-19 21:16:59

I think you have to try all the progestogens and pick the least bad. The one in Femoston is not so bad, and utrogestan (micronized progesterone) is supposed to be the near the same as your own, but this is probably not any good if you are having trouble with your own!

Some women use 3 month cycles to limit the time on progestogen. They seem to have knowledgeable GPs which helps.

BigButtons Wed 16-Oct-19 21:39:16

Thank you so much. I like the idea of three month cycles very much. I’m fed up that I still have monthly periods tbh. I will attempt to make an appointment with a knowledgeable and sympathetic GP.
When I tried HRT I felt great during the oestrogen phase. Thanks once again 🙂

Abraid2 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:45:23

I was very apprehensive about the progesterone element of the HRT I'm on (Oestrogel) but the side effects of Utragestan have been minimal for me. The only thing I can point to (!) are slightly swollen fingers, though that may be caused by an increase in high-intensity exercise, which can apparently cause this too.

The drowsiness at night after I have taken the Utrogestan is helpful for sleeping (though HRT has not yet, seven weeks in, completely cracked my insomnia and I am hoping that an increase in Oestrogel last week will do this for me).

I held off trying HRT for 18 months because of worries about progesterone but Utragestan really doesn't seem to cause me much trouble. I take 100mg every night, so no break from it at all, and don't have to return to having 'periods' as I am 20 months post my last period.

BigButtons Thu 17-Oct-19 12:33:23

I am in such a lot of pain today, am hugely bloated. Period not due till Sunday. It’s my own progesterone 🥴. Wish there was something simple I could do to stop all of this. I dread it every month and it starts 2 weeks into my cycle of course so I only get 2 weeks respite a month.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »