Talk

Advanced search

Menopausal flood or miscarriage?

(15 Posts)
Ready4Halloween Mon 07-Oct-19 19:51:11

NC for this, but only as there is TMI.

My period was a few days late and then I had 10 days or dry brown blood. This morning I had a very tender left ovary and felt right and bloated in my abdomen. This evening I am having a massive flood, literally belching out blood.

I have had 3 miscarriages and this feels exactly like one of the miscarriages that I had. I have also passed a long brown sac clot (about 8cm long) and just now I passed a huge jelly / liver like blob about the size of a medium tomato.

The thing is, I’m 54. It’s impossible for me to be pregnant, particularly as I suffered secondary infertility and had to have intervention to maintain a successful pregnancy. My child is now 13. My body feels like it’s had a miscarriage but my head is telling me no way.

Have I had a very heavy period, possibly with fibroids?

Any advice (and yes, I will book a GP’s appointment tomorrow!) much appreciated.

I feel a lot better after passing the second clot, as if everything has passed.

What the hell just happened?

Ready4Halloween Mon 07-Oct-19 19:52:34

Tight and bloated abdomen - not right!

yellowallpaper Mon 07-Oct-19 19:59:30

Have you done a pregnancy test. They will still show positive even after a miscarriage. I suspect it is the joyful start of the menopause where everything goes crazy.

JinglingHellsBells Mon 07-Oct-19 20:13:48

Sorry you are feeling so bad.

I don't think you should assume you cannot become pregnant. It would be unlikely but not impossible.

I'm sorry but don't understand the term 'secondary infertility;- is that something that happens after something else? Is that when you cannot retain the embryo?

The menopausal body can do odd things like pop out eggs all the time/ none of the time, and also try to hold onto a final conception.

A fibroid should not cause a sac and large clot to be passed. Fibroids can increase bleeding but you would notice more gradual increase in blood loss I'd imagine.

You need to see your GP soon and if unwell, go to A&E so they can do a scan and blood test.

Ready4Halloween Mon 07-Oct-19 20:28:53

Spoke too soon as I’ve just passed another enormous clot.

I became pregnant easily with my first child and then could not become pregnant again whilst TTC for 2 years. I then went through a succession of 3 miscarriages and had to have hormone treatment to ensure that the next pregnancy went to term, which it did. I haven’t been on the pill since I was 37.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Orchidflower1 Mon 07-Oct-19 20:40:40

Sorry you’re feeling so terrible op but I’d be inclined to ring 111 tonight.

Ready4Halloween Mon 07-Oct-19 20:45:56

N

Ready4Halloween Mon 07-Oct-19 20:48:02

Sorry, didn’t mean to post that!

I don’t feel too bad - just alarmed about what is coming out.

Has anyone else had a menopausal flood like this?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 08-Oct-19 00:00:59

When I was peri, probably about two years from last Period, I had an awful day of flooding that I had never experienced before, for an hour I couldn’t get off the toilet because of blood cascading out.

Ready4Halloween Tue 08-Oct-19 06:25:25

Oh dear, is this the start of things to come? Off to the GP today, hopefully.

jalopy Tue 08-Oct-19 06:53:07

I had a horrendous flooding with clots at the end of peri. I had never had periods like this.

I was investigated and scanned but all was normal. In my case, it was caused by hormones.

Soon after, my periods fully stopped at 54. It was such a relief.

I would still advise you to get proper medical advice about your heavy bleeding.

Hope it resolves soon.

Ready4Halloween Tue 08-Oct-19 09:28:54

OK, so thanks for the heads up about being pregnant. I went to Boots, did a urine test and yes, it’s positive.

How the bleeding hell am/was I pregnant at 54??

DtPeabodysLoosePants Tue 08-Oct-19 10:03:43

Oh OP thanks

JinglingHellsBells Tue 08-Oct-19 10:07:19

I'm sorry but I did have that feeling.

As I said upthread, during peri meno your body does know it's in the last chance saloon re conception. Evidently deliveries on the golf course for 50+yr old women are not just a myth (Oh I thought I was just putting weight on...)

Maybe see your GP about contraception for older women or read online? The mini pill would be an option or the Mirena coil which will double up as birth control and a way of stopping heavy periods.

Ready4Halloween Tue 08-Oct-19 11:35:23

Or abstinence!! GP appointment all duly booked. Thank you for your support everyone x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »