Talk

Advanced search

So don't be shy list your meno symptoms.....

(305 Posts)
VivLevi Tue 24-Sep-19 19:56:53

Not just the well documented meno symptoms but the little things happening to you that you can only attribute to the peri/menopause years
So starting with the obvious....
Chronic early morning wakening up
The hot flushes
Bleeding gums
Hair thinning
What feel like period pains but no period ever appears
Aching back
Aching shoulders
Headaches that would rival any hangover
Constipation then loose stools the back to constipation
Dry mouth
Weird burning crawling sensations on skin
Really dry skin plus the odd crop of spots
Anxiety around stuff that would never normally bother you
Weight gain despite eating healthier than previously
Low tolerance to alcohol
Chin hair
Forgetting names and words mid sentence or using the wrong word
Despite being blonde sprouting some really thick black hair around my hairline.
Anything else?

chimichangaz Mon 02-Dec-19 22:58:49

Oh my god I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was going mad. I've had so many of these symptoms that I didn't even connect with menopause! I'm 54 this week, not had a period for 5 years. Single since divorcing in 2012, only had two sexual experiences since then. Don't often feel like it tbh but I wish I did.

Sore boobs (got an appointment at the breast clinic on Thursday, been there about 3 times in last five years...)
Brittle, splitting nails
Itchy scalp esp at night
Sore feet in the morning (hobbling!)
Anxiety (sometimes crippling)
Difficulty in writing and expressing myself (I don't feel like me any more)
Forgetting things especially words and names
Thinning eyebrows and eyelashes
Can't shift excess weight - no willpower to exercise or cut down
Jelly belly particularly
Cellulite- never had it in my life and it suddenly appeared
Vaginal dryness - I'm single, not had sex for years but my last smear test was more painful than childbirth
Crepy skin (although I thought that was just getting older)
Hot flushes - I cannot contemplate jumpers any more, layers are my friend
Occasional difficulty sleeping
Feeling down for no reason, lack of confidence and constant worrying

Jeez.

I'm going to ask about HRT. Taking this list with me sad

NoisyBrain Sun 01-Dec-19 13:55:26

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm 45 and my symptoms include:

REALLY sore boobs every few weeks
Palpitations (though weirdly I haven't had any for months now - they were really frequent for a while)
Chin hair
Itchiness - scalp, back, lady bits
Lower libido
Waking up to pee at around 4am almost every night
Anxiety - always been prone to this anyway but now it manifests specifically as feeling like I'm shit at my job
Lower tolerance to alcohol
Nightmares! Always been a vivid dreamer but I've have a few terrifying ones lately.
Headaches (with or without alcohol the night before)
And the latest one, which is I see someone else mentioned upthread, is the feeling that my head is swimming. I've had this on & off for about 10 days now with varying degrees of severity.
Mild insomnia. I went through a period of horrific sleep deprivation about 10 years ago due to stress. These days I have the odd night where I can't get to sleep, or after getting up to go to the loo I'm awake for an hour or so. I can imagine that if I'd always been a good sleeper this would be more distressing.

Does anyone else have the contraceptive implant? I rarely have a period due to this, so have no idea what my cycle would be doing if left to its own devices!

LuckyElle Fri 29-Nov-19 19:34:13

@MardyGrass omg meeee sooo painful

MardyGrass Fri 29-Nov-19 18:14:46

Persistant lower backache anyone?

hangonamo Sun 24-Nov-19 00:12:05

Yes Ruby, walk like the tin man first thing in the morning especially

Rubychard Sat 23-Nov-19 21:48:09

Does anyone get stiff joints, not painful, just stiff??

icanbewhatiwant Sat 23-Nov-19 20:26:04

I just saw above that I'd written anyone got a cute...I meant cure, obviously.

My cycle seems to vary from 26 day to 70 or so. I've no idea when it's coming anymore!!

Hairydogmummy Sat 23-Nov-19 16:51:42

Did any of you ladies who are further on in this delightful process find your cycles were a mix of shorter and longer before actually missing periods altogether? The fact that my cycles which vary from 24-32 days are still within normal range is meaning GP dismissed peri after one blood test.

MardyGrass Sat 23-Nov-19 14:29:09

Constant pelvic pain /aching .
Lower back ache
Brain drain losing stuff all the time !
Body changing shape despite working really hard to keep weight stable-weigh the same but look different.
Heartburn
Can't tolerate booze.
Get really easily annoyed with the world in general.

icanbewhatiwant Wed 20-Nov-19 11:51:34

Does anyone get spots? I feel I'm in competition with my teenage boys? I must have 7 on my chin. If anyone else has, have you found a cute? I always cleanse my face, make sure any make up is removed and moisturise. Not that I wear much make up, but concealer/foundation has become a must to cover the spots!

Dangerfloof Sat 16-Nov-19 22:38:54

Hmmm @Borridge well I shall do some googling. If it's a thing I may well ask for it. Despite HRT for the last 4 years I'm starting to feel like I did at the start.
Deeply aching legs
God awful temper
All over tired, beyond any other tired
Joints coming out for days
A penchant for muttering to myself >>> like my mum 😨
No sex drive
Etc
Etc

Borridge Sat 16-Nov-19 22:03:49

I read about it on the meno board. I thought it might help with the libido. However, I don’t need any help in the beard growing department so I am weary. Plus my Gyn didn’t seem clued up on it.

Dangerfloof Sat 16-Nov-19 21:13:33

Is anybody taking testosterone? They say it’s the next big thing for meno symptoms
??? Do you know any more?

As for coming off it, it's a case of try, see how you go, back on if needed.
Very technical <<wise nod>>>
Am dreading it. Apparently at age 50 I've got to try no HRT. Then if no luck I'm on a different HRT cos of age and the extra cancer risk .

justcantthink Sat 16-Nov-19 20:49:14

Feeling sick and light headed room spinning after 1 bottle of beer. Just can't tolerate alcohol anymore 🤷‍♀️.

Terrible headaches
Worry
Anxiety
Depression
Panicking
Heart racing
Feeling worthless, but I think this one has something to do with my job and how my boss makes me feel at the moment.

I'm 45 😞

Borridge Sat 16-Nov-19 15:48:36

Is anybody taking testosterone? They say it’s the next big thing for meno symptoms.

Borridge Sat 16-Nov-19 15:47:10

I have many of the symptoms mentioned. Been on hrt gel for a couple of years. My gynecologist would not answer for how long I should take it. What are the indications for coming off it? And what happens when you do?

hangonamo Thu 14-Nov-19 22:01:36

Thank you @Hairydogmummy

Hairydogmummy Thu 14-Nov-19 21:56:34

Ovary/ ovulation pain is low down to the side of abdomen near the hip. Feels like a heavy dragging achy pain. If it's just on ovulation it goes away quite quick. When it stayed all the time I turned out to have a cyst.

OverByYer Thu 14-Nov-19 21:42:21

I’m so miserable
Anxious
Paranoid
Foot pain
Shoulder pain
No libido
My husband can’t do anything right . Poor man
I get the ‘rage’
I’m sweaty
Don’t get that many hot flushes but when I do they leave me feeling shaky and nauseous

I’ve got an appointment with my GPnext Friday and I’m desperate to get on the HRT

hangonamo Thu 14-Nov-19 19:59:40

What does ovary pain feel like (sorry to be dumb but where do you feel it)

Dangerfloof Thu 14-Nov-19 18:19:50

Today's symptoms for me oddly include ovary pain. Spot on my arse, cried at a short YouTube video about a really lovely apartment in New York, knee wont stay in place, forgot my bag had to go home to get it, then forgot my keys, had to go home, oh you get the idea. Shouted at animals (its rare I do that) am alone tonight so I rarely cook much on these nights, but cant even be bothered with an omelette. Toast is today's dinner. Have grumbled to myself a lot today and earlier someone asked if I was upset, no mate I just wanna punch ya.

hangonamo Thu 14-Nov-19 17:29:06

grin I am not murderous but start crying approx 5 times a day
Have just had a conversation about the stage show of Mary Poppins -I said I'd like to see it, but everyone says we have been to see it already as a family. I have no memory of this at all.

TarnWelby Thu 14-Nov-19 16:27:06

Well todays symptoms …...
Pelvic/ovary pain on both sides at different times of the day
Sore lower back
Headache
Forgot my bank number
Forgot where I had parked the car
Wanted to cry when the news was on
Constipation -(vegetarian so eat tons of fruit fibre and veg)
Wonder what tomorrow will bring ?

penisbeakers Thu 14-Nov-19 13:31:44

HELLO YES I WANT TO MURDER ALL THE THINGS

Princethedog Tue 12-Nov-19 04:28:14

I haven’t had a period since my hot flushes started around four months ago. Since then I’ve began to have feelings of extreme hopelessness. My sleep is disrupted because of the regular night sweats. Does anyone else feel like a different person? It’s difficult to describe. I was hoping for hrt but my blood pressure is now really high and the gp won’t give it to me. I feel like I’m going crazy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »