Talk

Advanced search

So don't be shy list your meno symptoms.....

(309 Posts)
VivLevi Tue 24-Sep-19 19:56:53

Not just the well documented meno symptoms but the little things happening to you that you can only attribute to the peri/menopause years
So starting with the obvious....
Chronic early morning wakening up
The hot flushes
Bleeding gums
Hair thinning
What feel like period pains but no period ever appears
Aching back
Aching shoulders
Headaches that would rival any hangover
Constipation then loose stools the back to constipation
Dry mouth
Weird burning crawling sensations on skin
Really dry skin plus the odd crop of spots
Anxiety around stuff that would never normally bother you
Weight gain despite eating healthier than previously
Low tolerance to alcohol
Chin hair
Forgetting names and words mid sentence or using the wrong word
Despite being blonde sprouting some really thick black hair around my hairline.
Anything else?

hangonamo Thu 14-Nov-19 17:29:06

grin I am not murderous but start crying approx 5 times a day
Have just had a conversation about the stage show of Mary Poppins -I said I'd like to see it, but everyone says we have been to see it already as a family. I have no memory of this at all.

TarnWelby Thu 14-Nov-19 16:27:06

Well todays symptoms …...
Pelvic/ovary pain on both sides at different times of the day
Sore lower back
Headache
Forgot my bank number
Forgot where I had parked the car
Wanted to cry when the news was on
Constipation -(vegetarian so eat tons of fruit fibre and veg)
Wonder what tomorrow will bring ?

penisbeakers Thu 14-Nov-19 13:31:44

HELLO YES I WANT TO MURDER ALL THE THINGS

Princethedog Tue 12-Nov-19 04:28:14

I haven’t had a period since my hot flushes started around four months ago. Since then I’ve began to have feelings of extreme hopelessness. My sleep is disrupted because of the regular night sweats. Does anyone else feel like a different person? It’s difficult to describe. I was hoping for hrt but my blood pressure is now really high and the gp won’t give it to me. I feel like I’m going crazy.

icanbewhatiwant Fri 08-Nov-19 13:49:38

@Hairydogmummy I mentioned it at an appointment for something else a few years ago. I have had the cream ever since, so I don't need it often. But it does clear it very quickly. Aloe Vera gel is meant to help too.

Candle1000 Thu 07-Nov-19 20:48:47

Vaginal dryness - had a smear test and even with lube it was agony.

Horrible crepey skin , especially on my arms.

I’ve always been slim but I now have a covering of dimpled fat on my torso.

Night sweats - I’m considering sleeping on a lilo in case I drown !

Zero interest in sex , I’m single and have been asked out by gentlemen but can’t be arsed.

pontiouspilates Thu 07-Nov-19 20:39:54

Heart palpitations.
Restless legs.
Anxiety
Mouth ulcers
Night sweats
Waking up at silly O'clock at least twice a week
Backache
Sore boobs
Less tolerance for alcohol
Always exhausted

Hairydogmummy Thu 07-Nov-19 20:26:15

@icanbewhatiwant that did occur to me actually. It comes and goes and is only one side... it's only quite minor most days so I've not really mentioned it to the doctor.

icanbewhatiwant Thu 07-Nov-19 20:18:46

@Hairydogmummy could it be rosacea on your face? I get it either side of my nose. The gp gave me cream which I use occasionally. It seems to clear it up.

AnuvvaMuvva Thu 07-Nov-19 19:02:56

Good luck tomorrow, OP! Thinking of you and wishing you well. 😊

Hairydogmummy Tue 05-Nov-19 09:09:05

I have so many symptoms...feeling off balance, severe anxiety, nausea, hair loss, acne under the skin on one cheek which sometimes feels hot and makes the whole side of my face burn, palpitations, being scatterbrained, heavy feeling in head, heavy aching legs, feeling of static over right arm, loss of libido, night sweats, flooding periods for which I take tranaxamic acid, sudden feeling of all consuming exhaustion as if I could fall asleep on the spot, crying at the drop of a hat. The big BUT is...I still have cycles within the normal range of 24-32 days. They veer from one to the other but GP says not in peri as bloods are normal and I'm only 41. Have just started on ADs as it's all being blamed on the anxiety.

SorbetK6 Tue 05-Nov-19 08:33:56

I am 54 and tbh, reading this thread, I think I have got off lightly so far.
My symptoms are always feeling too hot (but not drenching sweats), forgetfulness, chin hairs and aching joints.
I've also put on a stone in the the last 7 years.
My hair is still thick but much drier.
I sleep well most nights and have never taken any hrt or anything else.
I have had a Mirena coil for the last 10 years which I think has helped with symptoms.
However, my GP said it can be removed when I'm 55. Has anyone else done this? And did you experience any changes once it was removed?

icanbewhatiwant Mon 04-Nov-19 21:35:26

I have a lot of the symptoms listed. But I wish my body would decide whether it is going to do menopause or not 🤣 I had 3 months without a period. A good 6 weeks of hot flushes, every hour or so. Then the hot flushes stopped. A few weeks later the first period for 3 months. This month I know I'm back on my usual 28 day cycle as I have had the usual 2 weeks of sore breasts and spots on my chin. Both those things disappeared in the 3 months break from my normal cycle. The hot flushes part was awful, especially at night. Then gone...🤷‍♀️

singingstones Mon 04-Nov-19 13:39:47

@AnuvvaMuvva that is very interesting, thank you for the excellent advice - I am having bloods taken on Friday ahead of cardiologist hopefully next week so I will check what my iron is like. (Good to know that 'normal' may not actually be normal)

AnuvvaMuvva Mon 04-Nov-19 11:35:37

@singingstones Palpitations can be a sign too. Read this; you seem to have most of these.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/iron-deficiency-signs-symptoms#section4

kjhkj Mon 04-Nov-19 11:33:23

GP said no blood test possible but happily prescribed me HRT but I can’t get it filled anywhere so far.

I started on HRT a few weeks ago. I'm 45 and all of my friends just kept saying "it can't be the menopause you're way too young". Well it is.

For various reasons I have to have a particular type of HRT and ideally patches. I sat with the GP whilst he went through all of the NHS guidance on his computer and the briefings all said patches won't be available now in the UK until the end of 2020. Once those still in circulation in pharmacies have run out then that's that. So I'm on the tablets which seem to be helping already. Fingers crossed because I have actually been going slowly insane for the past 18 months or so.

AnuvvaMuvva Mon 04-Nov-19 11:33:04

@singingstones Have you had your iron and Ferratin levels checked? I was anaemic last year (heavy periods) and it made me breathless, bone-tired - I'd need a nap every day at 3pm - and my hair dramatically thinned. As soon as I started on Iron tablets, I felt like a new woman.

I wonder if you might be the same? Also, the Dr said my Ferratin levels were within the normal range (I think my level was just under 40), but I still felt crap at that level. And hair loss starts when you go below 50, and regrowrh only happens at 70+. So knowing your level is really important. You can buy the right tablets yourself if you want to top yourself up, and they're not expensive.

Good luck!

singingstones Mon 04-Nov-19 11:16:42

@AnuvvaMuvva I was thinking this morning in the shower that more hair was coming out than usual confused
Knackered, incontinent and balding, perfect!
I am not taking anything at the moment as I'm expecting to see a cardiologist next week about the palpitations / breathlessness so thought I'd wait till after that. Have made a note of everything that's been suggested though.
✊💐 to a fellow sufferer. I knew about hot flushes and mood swings but had no idea it would be like this!

AnuvvaMuvva Mon 04-Nov-19 08:54:22

@singingstones I'm 48 too and have practically all your symptoms. Including the one that happened in the hotel! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Are you taking anything? I'm on St John's Wort with added Black Cohosh to improve my mood (has definitely helped), and Menopace for everything else (can't say for sure if it does anything but I do feel OK and am too scared to stop!).

How's your hair? Mine is definitely thinning. My parting is growing wider.

This is all so depressing, isn't it? We're still only in our 40s!

singingstones Mon 04-Nov-19 01:29:13

Forgot heartburn / acid reflux

singingstones Mon 04-Nov-19 00:31:47

Well this thread has made me feel better thank you. I am 48, last period was 3 months ago, have been having mild symptoms for a few months but much worse over the last few weeks.
Palpitations is the worst one and getting those investigated just in case. But also have:
Insomnia
Sore soles of feet
Sore joints, especially ankles and thumbs 🤷‍♀️
Forgetful, couldn't remember Prince Charles's name yesterday
Anxious and quick to take offence
Permanently knackered
Wet the bed a bit in my sleep the other night (in a hotel shock) and generally a bit leaky
Lightheaded and breathless at times
Just feel very down, like this is the end of good health and there will be something wrong with me for the rest of my life sad

Flicketyflack Wed 30-Oct-19 15:59:53

Anyone experiencing feeling heavy 'down there' & itchy especially a few days before period?

Peri menopausal too & this symptom is new, worried I have prolapse sad

Blingandrings Tue 29-Oct-19 17:15:33

I am post menopausal now but had no idea at all what I was in for. No one talks about it.
I only recognise now so many things were connected. Most of those mentioned above. The emotional effects have been as bad as the physical effects. I think it's just a feeling that you aren't you' anymore. A feeling that you've lost a skin, can't cope, feel anxious all the time. It's totally debilitating. I had absolutely no idea how life changing it is.

AnuvvaMuvva Tue 29-Oct-19 17:05:41

@Outsomnia

I have the choking fear too! It got so bad that I only had soup and shakes got a month until I had a camera down my throat that (happily) showed I was fine. It stopped then, but it's creeping back. It's worse at night in bed - I feel I've forgotten how to swallow. I have to swallow to prove to myself that I'm ok.

How weird we both have this. But reassuring, too. How old are you? I'm 48 and still in perimenopause.

ilovepixie Tue 29-Oct-19 16:49:29

I haven't had a period in 4 years! So I though I would be over it by now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »