Talk

Advanced search

Were your bowels affected by menopause?

(21 Posts)
stirling Sun 06-Jan-19 20:10:31

Fairly sure I'm peri menopausal - horrendous Urinary issues in the past two years, heavy back to back periods then regular, now nothing at all for the past few months.
My bowels are really upsetting me though.. Had sharp fissure type pain causing some bleeding, in the past year on and off but very bad in the last two months - always hard initially causing a tear then softer stool..
I've been so scared about the pain, I started to eat more apples, take probiotics, inulin fibre drink, and its going the other way... Very soft stool and never feeling emptied, pain permanently in rectum... Really miserable..
Any advice?
Thank you

stirling Sun 06-Jan-19 20:12:14

Should add will be trying to see gp this week but reluctant because it's a dismissive, disinterested practice. They're all unsympathetic.

stirling Mon 07-Jan-19 09:38:28

Anyone?

AveEldon Mon 07-Jan-19 09:42:07

Can't comment on menopause but you should go to the GP
Any family history of bowel cancer?

chumbal Mon 07-Jan-19 09:45:50

I think there are a whole range of symptoms with peri menopause as I am beginning to find myself sad

I think a GP appointment is worthwhile considering tbh.

If you have an unsympathetic practice is there a possibility of changing? You really should not be dismissed by Doctor!

I hope you get some answers thanks

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 07-Jan-19 09:46:48

Well yes, sort of, not as bad as you but definitely a difference (I’ve always been very ‘regular’ dontcha know 😉) but suddenly started getting random instances of constipation followed by the squirts, then back to normal. Your symptoms though, I wouldn’t assume peri and would definitely be getting it checked. Hope you get some help from the gp.

scaevola Mon 07-Jan-19 09:49:24

Some symptoms may need investigation, regardless of when in life they crop up.

Change in bowel function which lasts longer than 3 weeks is one of them. Go and see your GP

buckingfrolicks Mon 07-Jan-19 09:50:32

It's not a symptom I recognise tbh. Bowels also thin (like vagina) with reduction in Estrogen so that does contribute to more likely constipation. I'd force myself on the GPs (well I wouldn't, I'd go for weeks thinking it was too difficult to get an appointment, they'll just tell me to lose weight and come back in 6 weeks, blah blah so I'm giving easy advice here. But that would be The Right Thing to do). Good luck.

stirling Mon 07-Jan-19 11:15:58

Thank you everyone, I'll book an appointment for tomorrow...

MummaPI Mon 07-Jan-19 19:44:34

My bowels have been 'dodgy' for a while and it's easy to blame Peri for everything. Things like that should be checked and it would be reasonable to ask for a stool sample to be sent off for a start.
Having said that I'm convinced my bowels are affected by hormones as I often have a 'clear out' (sorry!) before coming on and the anxiety that comes with Peri can affect them too.
My rule of thumb is to always get stuff checked before blaming it on Peri even though Peri is causing numerous symptoms for me!!
Check out this website too
https://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com

ChampagneCommunist Mon 07-Jan-19 19:46:18

Oh yes! And the wind! No-one warns you about that!

stirling Mon 07-Jan-19 20:28:08

Thank you so much.

buckingfrolicks Tue 08-Jan-19 17:49:55

Do let us know how you get on. It will be very interesting if bowels are a(nother damn) menopause thing.

Alinea Wed 09-Jan-19 22:36:50

I recognise the symptoms, Stirling, totally match mine, but has always been my case. Throughout my life. On and off whenever I become constipated.
I hadnt connected it with menopause, but I have to say, the tearing sensation in the beginning, has come back, after years I hadn't had it, and it might be thinning of the tissues, same as with vaginal tissues? The tearing pain is more often now even if I m not that constipated...
Either way, I would treat it as constipation related, which of course might be slugging with peri etc...I also used to have a softening around periods, like MummaPl, which now is not happening...
Over the counter creams help, and water. I find fiber without water is the worst.
Let us know how the gp responds. But definitely in my op, the only long term solution it to find your balance through correct diet.
...don't let the problem become long term!

stirling Sat 12-Jan-19 20:17:02

Thanks again all, Alinea that was interesting to read about your similar experience.
I went to see my GP on Wednesday and she immediately referred me for the hospital 2 week urgent appointment for bowel cancer sad
I was a bit stunned as was hoping to just discuss it and maybe get referred to hospital at some point. I understand they have a protocol to follow. At least they're not being negligent.
The most infuriating thing is, that later that evening I was reading a fascinating health book about the gut, and followed the advice to drink the juice of one bunch of organic celery on an empty stomach everyday. Continued, and cut out the fibre drink and the apple first thing as advised above, and began to feel miles better. But within 24 hours, the colorectal nurse called to run through a phone interview and then wanted to book me for an urgent colonoscopy and ct scan!

I'm not sure if this is silly but I declined. I've had a lot of prodding and poking around with some lasting damage. I asked to see a consultant instead and they booked me in for one next Thurs.
Today is Sunday and my symptoms are virtually non existent, going to the loo totally normally. Eating more vegetables (cooked), fruit, rice and potatoes instead of wheat. Cut down on sugar.
Feel I should have waited a bit, but anyway, hopefully worth seeing a consultant soon.

stirling Sat 12-Jan-19 20:19:18

I do agree that the thinning of everything makes it all worse... A bit of Prolapse too in my case...

SchoolGateBeta Fri 15-Mar-19 17:10:50

Stirling,
I hear you!
I've had ibs for a long time but it has gotton really awful in my 40s! Constipation, diarohea, a pressing feeling when approaching a period - when I get them. lower spine pain and leg pain too. It's messing up my life.
I've been to the docs and they can't suggest anything.

teta Sat 16-Mar-19 08:34:18

I have this too. I think it’s a combination of the menopause and really bad food poisoning for me. I find wheat/gluten bungs me up and lots of things cause the runs. The Fodmap diet has really helped me to find out which foods cause major issues. I’m very sensitive to Lentils/beans/chickpeas/beetroot/apples/okra . Also lactose in milk yoghurts etc. I’m fine with the Soya milk sold in the cool cabinet but long life soya milk made with whole beans gives me bad tummy ache.
Hard cheeses and butter are fine to eat because they have no lactose after processing but soft cheeses do. I happen to love Goats cheese salad with Beetroot and lentil curry so have them occasionally in small amounts. The thing is with the Fodmap diet you can have small amounts of some foods you are intolerant to.
Probiotics really help too. Live cider vinegar, Kefir with non dairy bases or kombucha are all good.
The 16/8 diet has helped too. Just giving your stomach a rest for a while is a good thing.

Iamanaubergine Fri 15-Nov-19 11:28:37

Sorry - I know this is an old thread but wondered how you got on @stirling as I have similar symptoms at the moment?

TARSCOUT Sun 17-Nov-19 00:40:49

Huh, weirdly enough was just wondering same thing! If you are having same symptoms please see your go asap.

Bluerussian Sun 17-Nov-19 00:45:35

Menopause didn't affect my bowels but it sounds as though something has changed with you op: having soft stools and not feeling emptied is indicative of IBS which can start at any time in life. See your doc if only to be reassured.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »