Talk

Advanced search

HRT Acne

(7 Posts)
Oxfordblue Fri 10-Aug-18 08:40:22

I've never reply been spotty in my life & now, at the ripe old age of 49, I'm on my 2nd month of horrible spots along my jaw line sad They are quite sore & itchy, the type that weep a bit to form a crust (nice!) but don't really have a head.
I've read that the HRT hormones can cause this, the rush of hormones similar to puberty.
Femoston was my first HRT, which I was on for 5 mths, then I went to a Menopause clinic & got gels. The dosage was quite high at 4 pumps a day & 200mg Utrogestan 14 days a mth. I was given 3 mths of this & although all fine, found the 4 pumps of gel a bit of a faff. I was also have a pea size amount of testosterone most days.
At some stage in July I ran out of the gel & because I was going back to the clinic )& my go a bit fussy with my prescription) I thought I'd use my last mth of femoston. Randomly I came out in horrible painful spots, I did think I'd been bitten. Immediately stopped the testosterone, had my clinic appointment, who said if 2 pumps a day of oestrogen was working for me that's fine, continue with the 14 days of Utrogestan & here's more testosterone.
Spots took almost 4 weeks to go & then less than a week after my gel & Utrogestan, I've got spots again shock
I feel like I want to scratch my face off. They've popped up in the same place but not quite as bad & I'm trying not to touch them.
Can anyone advise what best to do? I'm keeping my sysmptons at bay but I'm not sure I want to put up with itchy zits for 3 weeks a mth.

QueenoftheNights Fri 10-Aug-18 11:52:48

not clear if you ares till using testosterone but if you are, that will be it. it's androgenic and likely to cause acne.

Oxfordblue Fri 10-Aug-18 15:40:11

Not used the testosterone since the first spots about 4 weeks ago.

I understand the oestrogel has a small amount, or converts some of the estrogen into testosterone?

There were no problems when I first started the oestrogen gel/progesterone (+ testosterone) in April.

Is it possible my levels are now up?

QueenoftheNights Fri 10-Aug-18 20:30:55

I don't know to be honest. I've never heard of estrogen converting to testosterone. It could be the Utrogestan. ie= PMS type spots caused by added progesterone.

Oxfordblue Sat 11-Aug-18 08:06:33

queenofnights that makes sense, do you think I could go from 14 days of Utrogestan down to 12? I've seen it mentioned on here a couple of times.
I'm currently using 2 x pumps of gel everyday of the mth.

QueenoftheNights Sat 11-Aug-18 08:57:00

That should be fine. Some women under supervision use only 10 days or even 7.

QueenoftheNights Sat 11-Aug-18 08:58:01

By 'under supervision' I mean usually with a consultant's consent and access to pelvic scans if any irregular bleeding happens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: