Talk

Advanced search

PMT a getting worse

(7 Posts)
knockknockknock Wed 13-Jun-18 07:11:27

I've just turned 49 and my PMT is getting much worse each month to the point I have outbursts every time - shouting, crying. Etc.

Could this be a peri symptom? Also feel down nearly all the time, no enthusiasm for anything, irritable, lose temper more etc.

Periods still regular - every 21 days which is slightly shorter than my normal cycle.

Feeling so fed up. Is it worth a doctors appointment?

Bellaciao Wed 13-Jun-18 16:30:12

You are not strictly peri-menopausal yet - but at what is known as the Late Reproductive Stage - when the ovaries are still functioning and you are ovulating regularly but your hormones are begininning to go a bit awry. A classic symptom is shortening cycles - following which they will start to get longer and more variable. Another typical symptoms is worsening pms - this happened to me too. Not sure why you think you might need a doc appt- unless you really can;t cope - this is a difficult stage to treat and until you get hot flushes etc then HRT may not work/be advisable, although some women start to get flushes at this point and take HRT successfully.

You could try one of the new CCP types which is a bit like HRT - QLAIRA contains oestradiol, the same oestrogen as we have, and as in most HRT types, and is very suitable for women in your position. There are only 2 tablet free days although the oestrogen dose varies throughout the month. It may well prevent the worst of your mood swings and pms but you would need to try it for at least 2 months while it shut down your natural cycle.

knockknockknock Wed 13-Jun-18 21:52:45

Thanks for replying.

I'm going to go to the doctors as I'm not sure whether there is some element of depression / anxiety. I've always had some issues with these but it's getting much worse lately with the PMS kicking in all the time.

Alienspaceship Wed 13-Jun-18 21:56:21

Op, you have just described me exactly. I was wondering whether there are any ‘softer’ options eg supplements or over the counter options that might help at this stage?

Thesearepearls Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:03

Possibly this should be another thread but I've just discovered that my hitherto very strong and reliable teeth have started falling apart.

My doctor did not tell me that this was a possible effect of the menopause and nor did my dentist. Essentially it's a bit like pregnancy in that your teeth will start falling apart without lots of care and extra calcium. Just adding this so that you are aware - which you probably already are - it was just me being dozy

knockknockknock Thu 14-Jun-18 13:24:01

Oh bloody hell so I can now add teeth falling out to my list of what can go wrong 😬

QueenoftheNights Thu 14-Jun-18 14:40:11

The inside of teeth is made of dentine, the hardest substance in the body, so no amount of calcium as an adult will make any difference to the actual tooth itself.
What can happen is that age catches up with teeth by 50 ish, gums can shrink due to loss of collagen (which is a result of loss of estrogen) and jaw bone can become less dense ( a result of loss of collagen - same as osteoporosis.) Loose teeth where someone has had really bad gingivitis may fall out but teeth won't decay 'just' because of menopause. This explains how calcium is good for bones (jaw) and gums. www.chantillydentistry.com/calcium-for-strong-teeth-and-bones/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: