Talk

Advanced search

What is the difference between perimenopause and the menopause? How do you avoid weight gain? Does the menopause magnet work? And ye gods, tell us how to get a good night's sleep! Luckily Gransnet has put together the most useful tips for navigating those muddy menopausal waters. Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Symptoms but hormones ok, am I going mad?

(5 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Mon 19-Mar-18 15:12:16

I am 49. I had had the following symptoms for the past 18 months. Went to the doc a year ago, she did blood tests and told me that hormones do not indicate menopause as yet. My periods are still regular. Am I just going nuts then, or can you have symptoms without the drop in hormones?

I have:
Night sweats and swing between very hot/cold also
Anxiety
Insomnia - wake v early in the morning
Tired all the time
Irritable
Flooding periods

What can I do about the symptoms if it is not linked to hormone levels?

Thanks for any advice.

PollyPerky Mon 19-Mar-18 15:37:04

Blood tests for menopause are not necessary in women aged 45+. This is clearly set out in the NICE guidelines- see top of this page- and your GP ought to know this (and why)- because they are unreliable. Your hormones change hourly. A blood tests shows a snapshot on that day.

You are in perimenopause.

You need to find another GP who is up to date and knows about menopause if you want treatment, either HRT or treatment to control the heavy bleeding. you do NOT have to put up with this.

Do some reading around online and you'll find loads about all of this. smile

TheFurryMenace Mon 19-Mar-18 16:45:24

Thank you so much Polly, I had no idea. I've been putting up with all the symptoms - thought I must be imagining it, but I just cant bear it anymore. I also have a foggy memory, but I forgot to add this!

Ohhhthepain Tue 20-Mar-18 09:33:44

The blood test is so hit and miss I've heard. Drs agree I am well on my way to menopause but being under 40 without the test result I can't have HRT.

I would go back to the Dr, HRT has made my best friends life so much better, its worth pushing for.

TheFurryMenace Tue 20-Mar-18 22:10:08

Thank you, yes I will go back to GP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: