Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Delaying a period with Utovlan aged 54?

(9 Posts)
pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Sat 10-Feb-18 13:18:32

I am 54 and still having fairly regular periods, although timing can be unpredictable in recent months.
Going to Rome in June, and would hate to have a period arrive for my holiday.
Have heard about Utovlan for delaying a period, and thought I would try this, via the Boots online clinic.
Would it be suitable for me at my age, and how would I know when to start taking it if I don't know exactly when my period is due?
Anyone had any experience of taking this?

PollyPerky Sat 10-Feb-18 16:08:21

I've never heard of it- is it the same as Norethisterone? Is it the brand name of the generic version?

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Sat 10-Feb-18 16:18:50

Yes, Polly, it's the brand name of norethisterone.
I can usually manage some degree of unpredictability, but not when going on holiday, so I would love to hear that it would be a good thing for me to try!
It was mentioned in the Daily Mail today, in a supplement about menopause and periods in general.

PollyPerky Sat 10-Feb-18 20:18:38

I don't see how it would work if your cycles are irregular; it's used for a few days before a period and once you stop, you bleed. If you are having periods only every few months, this isn't going to work for you. Is there any pattern at all?

From the leaflet I found online
Taking Utovlan to delay your periods - You will usually take 1 tablet 3 times (15 mg) a day.
You need to start taking the tablets 3 days before your period is due to start. Your period will
usually start within 3 days of finishing the tablets.
If you do not have a period after you finish a course of Utovlan, check with your doctor in case you are pregnant.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Sat 10-Feb-18 20:37:40

Polly: like you, I wondered about planning around irregular periods, although I do have one most months still.
In today's DM article, it says, " Don't worry if you don't know the exact day your period is due- you can take it any time up to it starting, and you can take it for up to 20 days in a row".

PollyPerky Sat 10-Feb-18 20:52:14

I think you should avoid taking anything in the Mail as absolutely accurate; often it's a journalist's interpretation and the info is not always correct.

I'm not sure how many tablets are in the pack - presumably enough for 20 days?

It depends on how irregular they are; if it's something like 3-4 months, I don't see how that would work.

Are your periods really bad or is it just 'nuisance value' when on hols?

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Sat 10-Feb-18 21:10:36

Yes, it's general nuisance value.
Periods still arriving every 4 to 6 weeks, but can be unpredictable in length and flow: I am currently on day 13 of a light to medium flow period, and would rather it was heavier but shorter.
I take your point about not taking full notice of what I read in the DM, but it would be a basis for medical discussion, either with my GP or through the Boots online clinic.

BrokeAndBad Mon 12-Feb-18 13:58:07

Hi, I'm taking it at the moment (for the second time) to stop the never ending period-FML

From the leaflet I read that you can start anytime to delay your period... even when you don't know when you are due to start

Do be warned thought the first time I finished the course, I went batshit crazy and had a headache that lasted 5days confused But that's just my experience- everyone is different smile xx

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Thu 15-Feb-18 09:10:56

Thanks everyone for the advice; I think, on balance, I will be trying this before my holiday, so that I don't need to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now